Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neighbor damaged my front door

Posted by artemiss (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 9:44

While I was away on a month-long trip, my front door was damaged. An ornament I have on the porch was used to pound into the door, leaving about 30 small dents and scratches.

My next door neighbor, who keeps an eye on my house when I'm gone, told me another neighbor down the street was pounding on doors one night trying to find his house and get in. Apparently he had not taken his meds and his family had to call 911 to get him under control. I have never met these neighbors as they live further down the cul-de-sac, but I certainly have sympathy for their situation.

I'm glad i wasn't home as I live alone and would have been really scared. However, my door now needs repair and repainting, which my handyman estimates at $150.00

What would you do about this? Would you ask the person responsible for the damage to pay for the repair?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neighbor damaged my front door

I would eat the repair and forget about it. Maybe not the right thing to do but asking the neighbor you don't know from Adam to cover your loss may turn out to be much more than $150.00 in aggravation and stress.

If you do decide to ask for compensation you must prove the damage was done by this out of control person. Proof probably means someone must have personally witnessed it and is willing to say so.

o

I know this sounds cowardly, but I would just fix it and not bother the neighbor in light of the situation. I wouldn't want anyone with a mental illness fixed on me.

o

Agree. I would just pay for it myself.

o

Thanks for your consideration and replies. That's the way I'm going to go, and feel lucky this is my only problem at the moment. I appreciate your perspective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here