Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Urine smell on a large rug (not carpet)

Posted by mazelady (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 16, 08 at 8:21

I've read posts on removing the urine smell from carpet and understand that as long as the pad and underboard can't be cleaned, the smell will always be there to some degree.

But I have a 9x12 rug bought from Lowes that my small dog has peed on repeatedly. I have treated it with a variety of products including Natures Miracle and it still smells bad. I put the rug on a tarp, poured the liquid on the rug, covered it with a plastic drop cloth for 3 days and then let it air dry. Still smells bad.

Can I take it outside and just wet it down and wash it with carpet cleaner detergent and rinse it? (it's not wool) Can anybody share anything that has helped?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Urine smell on a large rug (not carpet)

that's what we always did when the pupy would pee on a rug, just take it outside and hose it down real good, then hang it up to dry for a few hours. we never even used any cleaners, just straight water. you can use Oxyclean or something similar if you want, mix it up and pour it on. but test it first JUST in case it tries to remove some of the color!

o
RE: Urine smell on a large rug (not carpet)

Can't hurt, might help.

Did you clean up the area under the area rug? That might be part of the problem too.

You can use a black light to ID missed spots of pee. Works best at night of course.

I find that Nature's Miracle isn't all that Miraculous. We've had really good luck with Odo Ban from Sams club.

Good Luck getting the smell out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here