Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sandbag ???

Posted by kellywane (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 5:59

Hi everyone here's Kelly so we know that growing plants in wet, poorly drained soil can be quite difficult, very heavy rainfall followed by flooding can kill woody and herbaceous plants.
The question is often raised, "How long can my plants tolerate their roots being submerged and how can I prevent my plants from flood?
I have head about a product http://www.stormtec.net/ and I want to know if that can be the solution and if someone could tell me more about it.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sandbag ???

Those sandbags are meant for one time emergency use in actual floods, not for keeping normally planted things from root rot. Your plants should be in well drained soil to begin with, so even if there is an actual flood, they have a better chance of survival. Were you seriously thinking of digging trenches near your plants to put sandbags in? Won't work - the ground is saturated from below to a great extent anyway, apart from the area immediately above a given plant, so there really isn't a lot you can do unfortunately.

o
RE: Sandbag ???

How long your plants can withstand being under water depends entirely on the variety of plants. Some can withstand better than others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here