Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
asbestos air ducts

Posted by Chrysotile (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 02 at 1:08

ive lived 11 years in a house that utilized asbestos air ducts, which at some point were distressed(torn/seperated). They have been removed but my family is freaking out due to our exposure. It looks as though there are two strong opinions regarding asbestos, media scare vs. deadly substance. Any one have experience with something of this nature. (the ducts were not wrapped in asbestos, they were actually comprised of aluminum and asbestos, hence the stamp on them, Alumisbestos). Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: asbestos air ducts

Asbestos is dangerous only if it is in what is called a friable (spelling?) condition. Friable is defined as a physical (as opposed to chemical) condition wherein microscopic particles are released and become airborn. This is the only time asbestos becomes dangerous to humans. And it is dangerous only in the lungs.

Microscopic particles are released only from asbestos material which is deteriorating. The material that was the biggest offender was sprayed-on insulation over heating ducts in offices and especially schools in big cities. For a long time the material was perfectly safe; however, unknown to suppliers and contractors, the material would decompose and powder over long periods of time, and that is when it became dangerous.

The ducts you described are entirely safe, and probably would have remained so indefinitely. They were not deteriorating or powdering, thus not releasing any friable material into the air.

My brother in law is a scientist for decades with the EPA in Washington; he was one of the original researchers for the Love Canal debacle which started the whole "environmental polluion" movement. When we purchased our home, the heating ducts in the basement had asbestos paper wrapped around them; I did a lot of investigating and discovered that they posed no danger to us. Just to be safe I sprayed them with white spray paint, and that is called encapsulation.

o
RE: asbestos air ducts

And what the Ranch-hand posts is called common-sense, with a good shot of intellect.
Adrian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here