Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slars_gw

Vertical siding warping?

slars
13 years ago

Anyone had this problem. The siding on both sides of the front of my 2 car garage is buckling inward. The front ends of my garage are approximately 3' wide. This is an attached garage on a tri-level home. There is a 3' high brick veneer exterior and the brick is staying put. Luckly the brick has a good footing and is solid but the wood siding is pulling inward away from the back of the brick. There is probably a 3" gap between the brick and the wood siding at a point closest the garage opening. The corner of the walls are ok but as you get closer to the garage door the wood looks warped. Making matter worse it looks like the entire wall is moving, interior studs and all. The house was built in the early '70s and I've lived there 22 years. I began to see a gap between the siding and the brick about 10 years ago and started caulking the gap between the two. The siding does have flashing installed above the brick. The gap got so big about 6 years ago that caulk no longer kept the weather out so I used foam insulation to fill the gap. I had a contractor look at it and he didn't have an idea. Said he had to tear into it before he knew what it might cost.

Help..... I'd like to have an idea before I turn a contractor loose.

Comments (3)