Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dampness under plastic mats?

Posted by Cyna (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 02 at 0:35

Was wondering if anybody had this problem. I live in a small townhome. I have plastic mats under my two computer chairs in my living room. When I lift up the plastic mats the carpet under it feels really damp and when I put my nose to it it smells like mildew. and I haven't spilled anything on the carpet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dampness under plastic mats?

if this is a basement unit, it might be damp from ground water. concrete is porous and naturally occuring water from rain, snow etc may seep through the concrete.

it might also be damp from humidity...the plastic may have trapped in moisture from humidity in the air...

or maybe something spilled and got trapped under the plastic?

o

I think heather has it--CONDENSATION. I don't have a fix for this-- does anyone? Melanie

o

Removing the mat would solve it I do think; that is if it is a condensation issue. I agree that would be a logical assessment if we knew that this was in fact a concrete slab (or basement floor)upon which the carpet was laid. I have a desk chair on wheels and I don't use a mat. No problem to me. I vacuum out the dents from the wheels.

o

There are mats that don't have little feet like things so that thee is a bit of airspace for hte carpet to breathe--I'm not explaining this very well, but if you go to Staples or Office Max and look at the mats, you will see what I mean. DH has a pasement office, with industrial carpeting, on a slab--one of these mats--NO MOLD OR CONDENSATE.

Good luck! Melanie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here