Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Neighbor putting trash can in front of my house

jockewing
12 years ago

This is really far from a disaster, and I don't really like to complain about the small stuff, but this is annoying me---

I have these new people that are renting the house directly across the street. The owners moved out a few weeks ago, and I was vaguely aware of these people who moved in as they originally lived much farther down my same street. I will just say that the woman is very socially awkward--I don't know if she has mental deficiencies, but in the few times she has approached me, I felt like I was talking to a 5 year old. I have been told by others down the street that if you make the mistake of engaging with her, she will bother you to no end, knocking on doors, approaching you every time you are outside, saying all sorts of strange things. So, I have been polite and waved when I see them, but I do not engage with them.

All of that aside, I noticed a few weeks ago that these people are putting their trashcan right next to mine on the curb in front of my house every week instead of leaving it across the street in front of their own house. The garbage truck comes down both sides of the street and everyone else on their side of the street leaves it in front of their own house. Why are they doing this? I probably wouldn't care but for the fact they have left it in front of my house each week until after 5PM the next day. Once, I subtly pushed it away from my house further down the street hoping they would get the hint. I didn't want to roll it across the street to their house because I don't want them to think I plan on doing this for them every week.

I really don't want to approach them over something that really isn't that big of a deal, and I want to avoid starting a relationship with the woman.

Any advice?

Comments (35)

• suzieque
    12 years ago

How about taking their trash can, fully loaded, over to their curb before the truck comes? I realize that that would take a bit of effort, but I'll bet that you'd only have to do it once or twice. And in addition to them hopefully getting the message, the empty trash can would be in front of their house instead of yours.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cas, I am not rude to the lady, but she has approached me before she move into the house across the street and was just so strange. I just have enough problems in life right now to create a new one! I will not be mean, but I plan to keep my distance.

Interestingly, they didn't even put their trash can out at all this week. I wonder if they forgot? Suzieque, I think I will try your idea next time.

• stolenidentity
    12 years ago

Or write a nice friendly note and say "Hi neighbor, I notice that you are dragging your trash can across the street and wanted to let you know that it's not necessary, the collector will pick yours up in front of your home."

If we had a neighbor put a can out with ours, we'd be charged for it by the way, so I wouldn't like it for that reason :)

• cas66ragtop
    12 years ago

I don't know how layout of the land is where you live. If the area in front of her house has too much of a slope, and she doesn't have a flat spot to place the cans, maybe she has problems with the cans getting knocked over and rolling away. Maybe thats why she puts it across the street with yours. She sort of knows you and doesnt think you would mind. Plus she is saving the garbage men the trouble of crossing the street if everything is all together. Who knows.

If you really don't want to speak to her, like others have suggested, you could stick a note on the garbage can - and she will see it when she picks the empty can back up. A note will save you some trouble or anxiety, or whatever.........but a note can also be viewed as a little cold and impersonal. I still think talking it out is the way to go, but thats just me. Not everybody is comfortable doing that, and sometimes talking things out can also backfire. I know you can figure out a way to do this where everybody is happy.

Good luck

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Why are they doing this?"

Do you pay individually for trash service?

Maybe they do not want to pay and figure the trash company will assume both cans are yours.

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

Is there a "he" involved? You only mention the woman. In our city, trash/garbage pickup is part of our water bill so you get charged for the service whether you use it or not.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

I actually have two residents on the opposite side of the street that put their trash cans on the curb in front of my house by request of the trashmen.

We are on the end of the street at a very busy intersection and entering our street from the intersection the houses on the other side are on the right hand side of the traffic. The trash truck driver explained that when he enters the street and stops at the first two houses the rear of his truck is pointed towards the intersection, which places the men working the rear of the truck in jeapardy of being hit by a car entering the intersection.

When they place the cans on my side the truck is facing the intersection and the men working on the rear of the truck are then protected by the truck itself.

In this case it is a safety issue that has been worked out by all parties, but even if it weren't, the treebelt along the curb is city property all the way from the curb to our side of the sidewalk and we all pay a trash assesment on our water bill with no limits on how many cans we can set out. Our solution is that each homeowner has painted their house number on their can so we don't get them mixed up.

If you happen to live in an area where there is no sidewalk there still is a utility easement which is owned by the city so I fail to see what the problem is.

On the other hand, I am left wondering if the trash can is the real reason for your complaint? Obviously you have preconceived a notion that the lady across the street has some form of mental issue that places her benieth your social standings and I would go so far as to say I don't think its her trash can your objecting to, but rather, you are being judgemental based upon rumors really don't care to have that type of riff-raff for a neighbor. Perhaps you might begin with a bit of assessment on your own self worth.

Personally, now knowing that you gossip with others and have the propensity to judge people without really knowing them, I feel fortunate that you are not my neighbor.

• nycefarm_gw
    12 years ago

Pot - kettle there lazypup? Seems you have done just that. If the OP does not want to associate with her neighbor, it is wrong to assume it is an issue of social standing.
    Just because I don't like someone rarely has anything to do with social standing - there are plenty of people ABOVE my station I do not want to socialize with.

• shellipe
    8 years ago

Easy, put your trash can in front of their house and leave it until 5pm the next day. Fair exchange.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

Did you know this thread was 4 years old?

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Wonder what would poses someone to search this topic in the archives?

• Christopher_H
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sometimes an old thread will just show up on the first page and unless you study the last reply date, many will think it's a new thread.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sure this is an old thread, however some neighbors have a disregards for privacy, where their dogs poop, noise, and a plethora of other nuisances.

Who puts their trash in front of other peoples property? In this age of being green and the view that over consumption is looked on as a negative trait, putting trash on your property makes it look like you don't feel like you have any concern about the welfare of others.

Also, perception of large families creates another negative view for most people. Either they are on public assistance, not as intelligent as others, or they are very narcissistic, which their superiority is rarely the case.

So please don't park your trash outside my house. If anything I don't want to carry my cans in my house with your roaches, fleas, lice, or scabies, whatever the case maybe. I don't share, or play well with others.

Help to address the problem of emitters of greenhouse gases not facing the full (social) costs of their actions, vote in a carbon tax on the amount of trash you create and the number of children you thoughtlessly bring into the world.

• HU-321395023
    3 years ago

Hi

my neighbor puts his garbage and recycling bin right in front of my yard :/ not that it bothers me but at least he should pick up the mess the garbage man leaves behind right ? I have been cleaning for few years however I told him to clean at least but he didnt like my comment and he didn’t clean 😟

is he even allowed to leave his trash on my side 🤔

• Rissa
    2 years ago

Jockewing: did you ever solve this problem? I have the same issue. My neighbors are right nexr door, and place their trash cans on my side of the property for pick up instead of in front of their house. This means when i sit on my porch or look out my window i see 6 trash cans sitting in front of my house. Some people are just ignorant and inconsiderate. i have not approached yet because they seem like the type who will be spiteful about it. Ignorant. just wondered how you solved this.

• Stax
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Jockewing was a member of Garden Web - about a decade ago.

• Kendra Joyner
    2 years ago

Well, it seems to me that the street is a public place and the city owns it so really unless the stuff is blocking the mailbox I think they can put the trash cans where they want. Obviously, it makes sense to put them in front of ones' own house but.... people suck. I have the issue where my neighbors park like 5 cars along the curb and then put their cans out not leaving room for mine so I am left putting mine near my other neighbor's driveway. Thank goodness he understands. Again like he said, the street here is public, may be different when you live on a private street and you own that.

• Donald Hairyone
    2 years ago

I told the sanitation folks that 2 people from ANOTHER street put their cans in front of my house. They said, "they can do that.“ Then I said, "So, I can put my garbage cans anywhere in the city?“ They said, "yes.“ I said, "That's insane."

• Stax
    2 years ago

I don't have public (tax payer) trash collection. Pay a private outfit of my choosing to collect my trash.

What you say certainly doesn't apply in my area. lol

• Rose Red
    2 years ago

Hey while we’re talking about garbage cans…

the city just set a new recycling bin at my house and i have no idea what to do with the olld one, its my first time living in a city

• Stax
    2 years ago

The old bin is likely recyclable... but it out for pickup in the new bin.... unless, the new bin is meant to be a second bin. (I have two at my home.)

• toxcrusadr
    2 years ago

They can't put it in the truck if it's usable, it would get crushed. Probably they use a separate vehicle. I would call them and ask what to do.

• HU-141411904
    2 years ago

This is what came up when I googled about a trash can left outside my property and what to do about it.

There are no curbs and a very narrow country road.

My concern is…as the winds lately have become so high, I am worried as nobody has claimed it, it could blow into my car or someone elses and cause damage.

Who do I contact to have the can removed.

• toxcrusadr
    2 years ago

Who picks up your trash? City, county, private service? Call them.

Is there not a phone number on the bin?

• Stax
    2 years ago

After dark tonight, drop the can off in front of the Mayor's home. Sheesh.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year
    last modified: last year

You do realize this post is 10 years old, right?

• Stax
    last year

You do realize this thread was active 3-10 months ago?

• toxcrusadr
    last year

I think the point was the the original poster is probably long gone. And in fact OP's last posting was 2014. So they will never see that comment and probably don't even live there anymore. :-]

• Tara R
    last year

100% disrespectful! Go walk your neighborhood. People don't put their trashcan in front of someone else's house. COMPLETE DISRESPECT!!!!

• Tara R
    last year

Don't care when the post was made! PEOPLE go get u some MANNERS!

• toxcrusadr
    last year
    last modified: last year

You're preaching to the choir Tara. Not that I disagree!

As the great songwriter and humorist Tom Lehrer said, "There are people in the world who do not love their fellow human beings and I hate people like that!"

:-D

• JoAnne Dalton
    7 months ago

They do that here , instead of putting front of their house. They put it across the street.

• Jud Pt
    2 months ago

I have the same problem with obstinated neighbors, I dont know if the City could help me with 3 trash cans placed for my neightbors 24/7 in front to my property, because they said ” Street is my Property ” so I’m tried looking my house like a ghetto…

• Iri
    2 months ago

Jud, check with the city--many have regulations about how long a can can be out, even if they don't have rules about where the can can be.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?