Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cearab_gw

where do chipmunks live?

cearab
16 years ago

I didn't know where else to post this, so here goes. I have 2 adorable chipmunks in my garden. They sneak some birdseed, no harm. Tonight, as I moved my sprinkler in my perennial garden, I believe I saw a chipmunk running up the cement foundation of my house into a space between the foundation and my aluminum siding. I had to bend down, and when I did, I saw a gap in the corner where it looked like some of the concrete had been dug out. On the ground, there is a pile of what looks like brown dirt. This gap was not there before, as far as I remember. It's right near where my faucet for the outside hose is, so I am in that spot several times a week. I went back a few times, and whatever is in there was poking it's head out a bit. Couldn't get a good look at what it is, but it was brown and tiny. I know there is something there, because shortly after, my dog was going mad smelling the spot and running in circles and whining. If he gets the chipmunk, he will kill it, he had a vole tonight and almost dispatched that before it got away. I don't want to kill the chipmunk but what should I do? I also don't want to fill the spot in with expanding insulation or steel wool to block the chipmunk inside the area. On top of this is an outside mud porch. I also have a basement and the foundation is the sidewall of the basement. I certainly don't want anything making its' way into my basement and dying down there.

I thought chipmunks lived in rock walls and wood piles. Suggestions/ideas?

Comments (6)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Wait a week or however long pest control people tell you is the right time for the babies to be out of the nest. Keep your dog away (chain, inside, whatever). Call one of those pest control people that can get the animals out in a humane way and relocate them (rather than kill them) - ask the contractors about doing - don't assume they do it.

• sharon_sd
    16 years ago

Relocating wild animals is not humane. It often results in the slow painful death by starvation or predation as the animal tries to find a home, food and safe shelter in unfamiliar territory. It is also a way to spread disease to populations that are not resistant.

It is often ineffective as an animal from an adjacent area will take the place of the one you have removed.

Finally, in many areas, relocation of wild animals is illegal.

• hopesprings_gw
    16 years ago

We had a problem with chipmunks and red squirrels in our last house. We called a company called Critter Control and they live trapped them. You need to repair the hole with something they can't chew through once you get them out of there. I'd call a pest control company. Good luck!

• sharon_sd
    16 years ago

If you insist on being rid of them, yes. Otherwise, find a way to live with them.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Chipmunks live underground. They don't hibernate in the winter like say bears, they just live in their underground dens. And that's why they must store so much food....to sustain them over the winter.
    You will never ever see any dirt outside a chipmunk hole as they would be a telltale sign to a preditor. As they dig their hole, they take the excess dirt in their cheek pouches and "hide" it somewhere.
    I doubt if you have chipmunks living under your mud room...more likely just using the spot for a temporary hiding place.
    I wouldn't worry at all. Your dog just knows something is under there. Chipmunks in my yard like to hide in the rain down spouts....drives my dog crazy....so I got an extra piece of drain pipe and hid it in the bushes, gives them a place to hide from the evil neighbor with the air rifle.
    Linda C