Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Latex over enamel paint

Posted by richardk (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 02 at 18:43

A painter failed to detect that the trim in our house had enamel paint on it. She painted latex over it with predictable results. We are not able to deal with her now. In places the latex paint pops off if you look at it too hard. In most places it can be hard to scrap off.

What is the best way to remove this latex? Water-based paint stripper, scraper and hard work, electric sander? We have talked about hiring another painter to fix this but what could a professional do other than many hours of scraping or sanding?

Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Latex over enamel paint

We had the same problem in our last house--we just wet-stripped the WHOLE THING. (Quietly cursing the idiot who painted with latex over shiny enamel w/out prming in between.) It was NOT a pleasant experience. That took care of the problem--but we also primed very carefully once we were finished. You shouldn't need to do an enormous amount of sanding if you strip it properly-- just light sanding afterwards. The question is-- do you want to spend your free hours doing prep work? If you can afford to pay someone--DO IT. We were so house poor (it was our first home) we had to do the work ourselves. Stripping is NO FUN. Good luck! Melanie

o

Help me avoid this mistake - how can you tell the paint is enamel versus latex?

Thanks!

o

An easy way to tell if you have latex or enamel paint is to take a cotton ball dipped in alcohol and lightly rub it on the painted surface. If the cotton ball has paint on it, it is latex, if not, it is enamel.

o

Thanks Mary Ann. I guess if it is white paint I'll need to use a black colored cotton ball! OK, maybe a dark colored cotton rag.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here