Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meterorites

Posted by spewey (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 02 at 18:35

Last week while I was away a small meteorite hit my house, breaking a window, passing through a laminate floor upstairs and shattering a ceramic tile in my kitchen floor downstairs before going into the basement and burying itself into a small impact crater downstairs in the slab. I can fix the window easily, have some spare tiles for the kitchen and can patch the ceiling and fill the crater with Quikrete, but the laminate is badly dimpled around the hole and the edges are burned. The hole is not that large; the meterorite was probably no bigger than a golf ball, but can the laminate be repaired? Should I simply make a patch from a spare board? I'm afraid it will look like a plug. Or can I cut the piece out and patch in another board? This is glue-down laminate; I am afraid if I pry up the board I will just make a mess. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meterorites

Meteorites are valuable. Sell it and use the money for repairs.

o

wow! that's a wild thing to happen! i don't know how much you could sell the meteorite for, but have you thought about reporting the damage to your insurance agent? don't most homeowner insurance policies have an "act of God" clause? surely a meteorite qualifies! hey, they'll pay for storm damage, and i guess you could say this is storm damage, of a sort.... interstellar storm damage!

good luck with repairs!

o

Meteorites sell in the $400/gram range. Something the size of a golfball is easily in the thousands. Take pictures!!!

Brian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here