Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rodent home encapsulation

Posted by blakeas (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 13:29

I have a problem with mice/rats entering my home. I have been catching them for the past year - around 1 per month.

I called an exterminator and he said he would need to get rid of the entry points of my home for these rodents to come in. He said the space between the gutter and the roof is one place so flashing with copper stuff it would be applied along with all gables, etc. plus I have hole where cables come in. He quoted me $1273 and that was with a discount!

I am trying to get opinions on what to do. I was going to close that one hole myself that is around cabling. Do I need to do this encapsulation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rodent home encapsulation

That sounds like a lot of money to me!

Block the cable hole yourself. You can stuff steel wool in the crack or there is some kind of foam spray which expands. I have no idea of your situation, so I just throw those out on the chance they would help. Wait and see if that solves the problem before doing more. If you use steel wool, check it frequently in case the rodents push it out of place.

If there is a place between the gutter and the roof, are they coming in through an attic?

If you continue to have trouble after blocking the cable hole, then I would get other prices before proceeding. Maybe a roofer could help you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here