Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancita_gw

I do believe my contractor is going out of business

nancita
11 years ago

Hi all,

Well, I have asked for advice on so many of these wonderful THS forums during my painfully slow rennovations, now I need some advice. It looking like the remodeling company we went with is ending its' eight-month career. My niece's husband is/was one of the contractors. I know, but, way back in March it seemed like a good idea for us and him.

Our project has been going in fits and starts and the crew has been dwindling to one electrician, one plumber and two apprentices and the one carpenter. The carpenter has the majority of the work left to finish and the nephew isn't saying anything. Haven't been able to reach him for almost a week. No carpenter for about the same amount time.

We owe them only about $4,000 but we have way more to go. Besides how we try to finish, what happens to all the open permits?

I feel like this adorable little house is cursed. I'm the one that asked for advice on sewer problems as well as the neighbor's house burning down one week after we bought this house and melted one whole side of siding which needs to be replaced and we are on the hook for.

A bit of good news would come in handy right now. Anyone at all?

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

"A bit of good news would come in handy right now. Anyone at all?
    Thank you!"

I am sorry your house building experience has been fraught with problems.

I would not pay the builder another penny until I spoke with an attorney. It won't cost $4k to speak with one but it MIGHT help prevent you from throwing more good money after bad.

If you could mention what State this house is located in, some of the experts who visit here might have some helpful information.

Best of luck going forward.

• nancita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. I am in Massachusetts.

• dkenny
    11 years ago

why would you speak with an attorney? YOU OWN THEM!!
    if they don't want to finish the work and get paid..TOUGH!!
    hire someone else..

get it documented that they must finish the work to get the 4k. so they cannot come back to you to collect since they're not done.

not sure about the permits..check the inspections department..they might hold them open until the work is complete..even if the contractor is different.

-dkenny

• harry_wild
    11 years ago

I would also talk it over with the contractor and see what their thoughts are on your hunch. Never hurts to ask as they say; then you know what is in their heads and you can plan accordingly!

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

Call the permit department and ask what the process is to transfer the permit to another licensed contractor.

DH is going through this now, taking over a botched bathroom reno. In our case the homeowner will need to send a letter to the county letting them know they are changing plumbers.

• nancita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update on the contractor. He fired the carpenter and will be completing the carpentry himself with a helper. we paid for the flooring only to get it here to the house. Tomorrow is supposed to begin the floor installation. Electricain and plumber are still hanging in so maybe it will all work with the permits.
    After the job is done, the contractor is moving.