Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Project is off the rails. Plan /B?

Posted by nancita (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 8:43

Hi all. We are into week 18 of our second floor remodel. It's now a skeleton crew. Some of the workers are definite disgruntled employers.
We ower very little money as an incentive to finish.
What about if we get them to pprovide supplies, flooring, staris and railings and walk away. How does that affect the permits?
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Project is off the rails. Plan /B?

I'm an amateur here, but I do have a building permit myself right now for a shop building. I would think that no matter who does the work, the permitting authority expects you to follow the same rules. They need to be able to inspect the work and approve it at the appropriate times. Mine requires an inspection a minimum of every 6 months, for example. Whether they care if you fire your contractor is something you'll have to ask them, but I suspect it is not the first time it's happened. Keep in mind that any work done to date that has not yet passed inspection, and later has problems or requires re-doing when it's inspected, will have to be fixed by someone.

I'd call your permit office and ask them about it.

o

"We ower very little money as an incentive to finish. "

How did the money paid get so far ahead of the work?

o

brickeyee,
Good question. Stupidity on our part. The contract called for the majority to be paid and we paid it. Now we only about $4,000.

o

I talk to a lawyer on this matter! Have him/her write a letter to the contractor about being off course and concerns.

o

Probably time to lawyer up.

o

Just a note for the future--paying ahead is an incentive NOT to finish the job. If he's already got (most of) the cash, and most likely already spent it.... why would he want to bother finishing up?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here