Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isabelscott_gw

Cat hoarder....

isabelscott
12 years ago

I have a cat hoarder up the street.... they have new kittens everyday!!! A few days ago we were outside and one came into the back yard and attacked my huge dog (Shepard Husky mix). They hiss at my children if we try to walk up the street and it terrifies me. We live in a very rural area but we do live in the "village". I have called the village office they tell me there is no ordinance... I called the SPCA they do not deal with cats here.

I cannot go to the neighbors as there are certainly some mental issues going on they have 30 cats and you can see the crap piled up in the windows....the yard is GROSS!

ANY ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• cas66ragtop
    12 years ago

Wow - I cannot believe the SPCA will not look into that. Is there any other kind of animal control office within your jurisdiction? Maybe you could call a veterinarian and they could offer advice? I would be more worried about the welfare of the cats themselves. A lot of people who are "only trying to help" actually get in way over their head and end up neglecting the animals. As far as getting them to clean up their yard, good luck with that. It will be easier to have someone do something about the cats. Sorry to hear about that - I hope things get better soon.

• loose_screw
    12 years ago

City or County Board of Health. All of that cat poo is a health hazard.

Or tell them one of the cats is "acting funny" and foaming at the mouth. They will have the rabies inspector there 'tout de suite' (toot sweet).

• lynxe
    12 years ago

Well, Loose Screw, since a rabies test requires a dead animal, that is a pretty poorly thought out suggestion. Way to go.

isabelscott, are they any animal rescue groups in your area that you might contact? Are there any low-cost spay/neuter programs or vets? The problem is, how do these groups where they haven't been invited?

• loose_screw
    12 years ago

And your point is?

• sameboat
    12 years ago

Is there an animal control officer in your town? Cats are very territorial animals, and more than a few in one house is too many for their own well-being, not to mention the health of those living there. I would call the animal control officer first, explain the situation and see what they say.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

We live in a very rural area but we do live in the "village". I have called the village office they tell me there is no ordinance...

Have you tried County? I come from a very rural area, town is a few miles away and just a blink in the road, really. Animal or pet issues are handled by the County.

• pjaxson
    12 years ago

youre going to have to call animal control. if that doesn't work, call the law. that isn't normal. those cats don't need to be in those living conditions

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

Lets discuss another issue. First, I hope your large dog is up to date on his shots including rabies. For a "kitten" to come into your yard during the day and attack your dog should raise questions about the health and safety of these cats. All you have to do is mention rabies or feline parvo and I guarantee some "official" will show up.

• junebug20
    12 years ago

I hope you can keep your family and pets safe. That's terrible.

This afternoon I watched HOARDERS and this woman had 36 cats, 13 of which were dead. She blamed the CATS for dying, not the condition of the home. Her house was condemned by the city.

It's too bad that reporting something like this is so difficult. They do the same thing in Los Angeles when you complain about a nuisance barking dog or something. It's like people don't care until it is really too late to do something about an annoyance that could have been handled before it got out of control.