Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorre_gw

defective installation-help

lorre
14 years ago

I have an engineered floor installed incorrectly. The owner manager of the store has threatened me with going to court from the first time he looked at the floor. The installation manual for Award flooring was not followed. I have no expansion gap. I have nails in a floating floor. I have no underlayment seam tape used. My hallway is nailed with no underlayment. There was carpenter glue used for the tongue and groove. Lepage's glue to be exact. There are tiny bits of flooring not the 8" as recommeneded into the wall. The floor was put in very tight to the wall. A section of it over by the hearth has now buckled-tented. The distributor for the flooring came into take a look and had to tell the owner/manager of company that the floor did not have expansion gap that is was tight. But he would not tell the owner to replace the floor. Now the two men are trying to blame the enviroment saying i have a moisture problem. The open basemen is reading at 64% humidity level. The owner manager and distributor representative did not have a relative humidity reader with them. The distributor had a moisture reader that was not working so he did not take the moisture readout of the engineered wood itself. What can i do? I feel I am being bullied here. A defective install is a defective install. Now i have no warranty. All the owner manager who hired the installer to do a professional job is telling me is that he can try to cut out some boards where nails are and cut an expansion gap. But i am to have no warranty and that is all he can do for me. Give me now an expansion gap that would in his words,"make me happy". This man did not follow installation guidelines he ignored them and made we wait three weeks and now says expansion gap.Is there anything I am missing here as to proving the floor is a defective installation. There is no one in my city who will go up and take a look at this floor. They do not wish to be involved. I have talked to other flooring places -their managers- and have been told that they do not think this floor can be saved. I need some facts on how to prove faulty install. please if anyone can help me out. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

good luck on getting anywhere, they showed up and did the work. even though it was not up to par, that is generally all that is required.

BTW we don't have basements here due to high ground water, but even i know that hardwood flooring in a basement is NOT a good idea. the humidity will ruin them in no time. especially when someone hoses the install as bad as those guys did!

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

The company that manufacturers the product won't help, the company sold you the product won't help, and the installer won't help.

Try small claims court. Obtain a copy of the manufacturer's installation manual, any contract you had with the installer, and document the faults.

• lorre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello I am documenting and researching. why someone thought this floor is in the basement it is not it is above ground. oh yes with brand new subfloor underneath it. With de humidifier in basement. I have called the manufacturere to make sure what glue. There is some cupping to these boards and the wood now being discontinued as of 2007 -i know that wood to have been stored a long time. They did not acclimate the wood or take it for that matter out of the packaging to acclimate it. The boards are cut in tiny pieces to the wall as well. Can you imagine a combo job nails in floating floor and no underlayment in hall and no seam tape. They accepted the condition of the environment. used wrong materials. glued and nailed a floating install and left no expansion gap. oh yes no expansion gap. I am taking this further.. oh yes. thanks again for your help