Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yard is crawling with winged ants

Posted by SnailLover (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 0:55

I was walking my dog across the yard tonight and he gingerly stepped over a massive ant hole. I looked down and saw ants with wings crawling everywhere, and several other holes nearby. Some had mounds of sand around them, some were just big open holes. There were so many winged ants crawling around that the ground appeared to be moving. I've never seen anything like it. This particular area is under some pine trees. They seemed to appear over night.

Termites aren't real common here so I'm pretty sure they're carpenter ants, although are they much better? I'll get a better look tomorrow now that I know how to tell the difference. I had some ant killer granules left over in the garage, so I used up all I had and hosed it down like the package said. I don't think it will be enough though. Is this the best method, or is there something better? I will call an exterminator if necessary. It really creeped me out. I'm itching all over just thinking about it again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yard is crawling with winged ants

Not sure what part of Michigan you're in, but here in southern Macomb County I just saw the winged ants in our yard for the first time of the year yesterday - they are about a month later than they were in previous years. The little bit of rain and high humidity have caused them to come out.

I'm almost 100% willing to say these are NOT carpenter ants if they are in your yard. Carpenter ants don't usually nest in soil and usually only swarm earlier in the year. These are probably field or pavement ants.

The swarming is for the purpose of mating - the winged females that have mated will go off and form new colonies. An exterminator would be way overkill (hah) and the swarming will probably only last for a week or so, if even that. As long as they aren't invading your house, I wouldn't worry about it. When they are going insane where I've got my tomatoes planted, I'll sprinkle some diatamacious earth, but otherwise, I just pretend I don't even see them.

o
RE: Yard is crawling with winged ants

Thanks for this info. Ants are bad enough, but those wings really creeped me out. I didn't realize this was a seasonal thing. The ant granules I used did the trick and I didn't even need that much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here