Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishnwell_gw

Bleach stains on bathtub

wishnwell
17 years ago

My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was a mess. I suggested he spray it with Clorox Cleanup. He did, but he didn't rinse--and now the tub is a nasty yellow-brown. He's tried vinegar, CLR, peroxide, several products. He thinks the tub may be fiberglass because there's a crack at the drain (great apt., huh?). But he also noticed what look like paint drips. I haven't been invited to see view the disaster. Anyone have any suggestions for getting out bleach stain?

Comments (61)

• wantoretire_did
    13 years ago

Clorox 2 is usually found in the laundry department of grocery stores.

• braveheartgeek
    13 years ago

Clorox 2 really works!!! Dnaleri2 you have saved my $300 Security Deposit :) For me, I did not find 'Clorox 2 Color Safe bleach' so I tried 'Clorox 2 Stain Remover & Color Booster'. It worked like a charm!! The moment Clorox 2 hits the stains, I see the clear and white porcelain bathtub through Clorox.

Actually we cleaned the whole house and about to return the key to the Leasing office because our lease was expiring. My friend applied Clorox Bleach on the bathtub walls in night and thought of cleaning in the morning. We were surprised in the morning to see the clean walls and at the same time, shocked to see the stained bathtub. Our heart literally stopped. So I was googling for some tips/cleaners. Finally I reached this page and read about Clorox 2 by Dnaleri2. That saved our $300 security deposit :)

• barbcollins
    13 years ago

noodlesportland - I have found that Tang or Powdered Lemonade mix run through your dishwasher will get rid of some stains.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Clorox 2 is an oxygen bleach, using hydrogen peroxide as the oxygen source.

Plain old hydrogen peroxide is available at the drug store.

• barbcollins
    13 years ago

I had some stains on our fiberglass shower pan I could not get off. Tried bleach, soft scrub etc.

Hubby said "Did you try vinegar"?

Wow, I let some vinegar sit on them for about 30 seconds, and it all came right out.

• bfung_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Yay!! I am so relieved that the ugly yellow stains came out! I sprayed bleach cleaner on the bathtub and then left it when a repairman arrived. When I got back to the bathtub, there were ugly yellow stains all over the sides and bottom. Clorox2 happened to right in my laundry room. It solved the problem instantaneously!

• amyjgibbs_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I of course also had the same problem - used soft scrub with bleach on my shower/tub. The shower tiles looked great, but I had rust colored stains on the tub. I didn't have Clorox2 in the apartment, but I saw in one of the posts to try Hydrogen Peroxide- it worked wonders! Best of all it's cheap, you can find it in any drug or grocery store, and most people just have it sitting in their medicine cabinet!

• scazygrl_netscape_net
    12 years ago

Oxi clean stain remover gets rid of the brown spots instantly

• finita_28_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

THANK YOU!!!! Great tip, I sprayed bleach on my tub and shower liner then I started cleaning the living & dining room. When I got back to the bathroom my tub looked worst than when my kids take a bath after playing outside. The first thing that went through my head was that I didn't dilute the bleach enough (and my hubby's going to get mad at me). I looked online and found this site, I tried the peroxide and it worked right away!

• cruseal_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I followed the Clorox 2 tip as well and it worked like a charm...THANK YOU......

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Hey guys, for natural options, you can soak paper towel to white vinegar..."

Cause we all know how "natural" distilled white vinegar is...

• cameron_mullen_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Also, if peroxide doesn't work - magic eraser works wonders!

• silviaolea_05_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I thought I had ruined the tub and was freaking out because I live in a rental unit...but I followed the tip about the peroxide and it worked instantly...thanks for the tip!

• hnloyalty_aol_com
    12 years ago

Clorox 2 Rocks! work so well. Just pour it on, leave it for like 5 minutes scrub a bit and bam! rust be gone!

• Katnhat
    12 years ago

I had the same problem i was discharging some denim with bleach and i went to check on my denim and found the sides of my tub all yellow i found this link and i didnt use chlorox 2 but i found that generic color-safe bleach works as well .:)

• cshaversranch
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have tried hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and, Clorox 2 although it was the powder…now trying vinegar with paper towels setting so far none of these has worked on the yellow stains in the bottom of an old claw foot tub. Ugh so frustrated! Thanks for the ideas.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Yellow stains might be from iron in the water which is a whole different thing from bleach discoloration. Have you tried the scale/mineral removers like CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) or Lime Away? They have reducing agents (rather than oxidizers like bleach) to remove oxidized iron (rust).

• bm9135
    8 years ago

I have yellow brown stains with some very dark brown stains. Nothing is working for me.

• aeonate
    8 years ago

I had sprayed Target brand Tile Cleaner + Bleach in my shower and walked away for hours thinking that I could just rinse it off later. Came back and the tile was clean but my tub had weird orange stains where the cleaner had run down. Tried the OxiClean trick and it worked for me! I wet the tub and sprinkled OxiClean powder onto the areas and waited a few seconds before coming in with a scouring pad to scrub. The stains came off pretty easily without any real work. Thanks for the tip!

• PRO
    The Outdoor Room, LLC
    8 years ago

Tah Dah !!!!! After making the same spraying on near 100% concentrate clorox bleach mistake on my dated olive green tub I immediately saw the dripping rust stains! Thanks to the posts here I quickly ran out to get Clorox2 and also came home with Oxy-Laundry Spray Stain Remover. I tried the Oxy first for the sheer convenience of the spray-bottle and saw nearly instant results .... what I think may be happening with the Clorox is that it is causing an immediate oxidizing effect with the iron in the water .... note the same discoloration appears when you put bleach into your laundry water!! I think I may be cautious from now forward with what I use bleach on .... will be using the Oxy on a lot more items around the house!

• Barbara Ann
    8 years ago

I tried all your recommendations.....Nothing worked. After buying every product and scrubbing for over 2 hours with the Magic Eraser, finally come off a little. The tub is only 10 years old but it has those don't slip marks built in the tub. I don't if that is why it happened.....I have been using Clorox for over 30 years in the bath and this has never happened. My last tub was over 30 years old I think from when the house was first built and it didn't happen. So, I don't have an answer for why this happens, but I know it really can ruin a tub....I will never use clorox on anything again......

• Lori Ebiner
    7 years ago

Ran to the store... Bought the blue bottle of Clorox 2.... Put it on....Didn't do anything ....walked out and back in... All the yellow was gone! Thankyou!

• jhndillion
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone- as suggested above, I poured hydrogen peroxide over the stains and they disappeared. Whew!

• Milin Pinero
    7 years ago

Hydrogen peroxide homies

• price_adrienne1
    6 years ago

Clorox2 worked like magic. Like the others, I was cleaning my sons' bathtub. I sprayed Clorox Cleanup on it, turned to clean the rest of the bathroom, only to turn around minutes later, to see that the tub was covered in orange/reddish/brownish streaks!! I freaked out and decided to find help online. It took me a while to find these comments, but was so glad I did. I immediately ran out to the store for some Clorox2 and coated the affected area..... within in minutes my tub was shining like brand new!! Thank you for your help.

Living in a house approximately 90 years old, with original bathroom fixtures, etc.... you never know how things will react. I am grateful for this simple fix!!

• Denise Machado
    6 years ago

HI, guys...I need help!! I was reading your results....I had the same problem. I sprayed clorox on my bath tub, left few minutes and when I returned, it was full of white/yellows spots, like the color had "melted". The worst...my bathtub is new. i didn't try clorox 2 yet.

• Dillon Allen
    6 years ago

Oxi clean stain remover (laundry) worked instantly

• Emily Cabrera Portillo
    5 years ago

White distilled vinegar leave on for 10-15mins then scrub off with a lemon and salt WORKS AMAZING, I did the same thing using the bleach and left my tub with the yellow stains and I panicked. I don't drive so I couldn't go to the store and buy the clorox 2 or oxiclean and didn't want to order and wait, so I texted pics to my cousin and she gave me this fix! I attached pics hopefully they show.

• Emily Cabrera Portillo
    5 years ago

Pour White distilled vinegar let sit for 10-15mins and then scrub with a lemon and salt. I used bleach on my tub and the same problem happened to me. My cousin gave me this fix! Worked AMAZING! I posted pics!

Let me know how that works out for anyome else !

-

• yolandassouthside
    5 years ago

So, I’m pretty well at my wits end here.

I have a porcelain claw foot tub with the requisite non-slip bottom. The non-slip has gotten yellowy stains over time. We’ve lived in this house for 7 years and I’ve used this tub regularly. The stains are getting worse, and I cannot stand them. I’ve looked at numberous blogs and here are all of the things that have not worked:

Everything I’ve tried

Tilex

CLR

Peroxide/Baking Soda

Vinegar, Lemon, Salt

Comet

Soft Scrub (I use this to clean the tub after every use). It’s done nothing for the yellows stains

Lysol toilet (black bottle). Great for removing lyme build up, but did nothing for stains

Oxi Clean Spray (blue bottle).

What I have not yet tried:

Magic Eraser

Clorox2 (blue bottle)

I’m just at the end of my rope here.. My tub, all things considered, is beautiful and an oasis. I’ve gotta get those stains out before they get any worse. This is in a guest bathroom so its the first thing people see when they come to our home and use the restroom.

• yolandassouthside
    5 years ago

So, I’m pretty well at my wits end here.

I have a porcelain claw foot tub with the requisite non-slip bottom. The non-slip has gotten yellowy stains over time. We’ve lived in this house for 7 years and I’ve used this tub regularly. The stains are getting worse, and I cannot stand them. I’ve looked at numberous blogs and here are all of the things that have not worked:

Everything I’ve tried

Tilex

CLR

Peroxide/Baking Soda

Vinegar, Lemon, Salt

Comet

Soft Scrub (I use this to clean the tub after every use). It’s done nothing for the yellows stains

Lysol toilet (black bottle). Great for removing lyme build up, but did nothing for stains

Oxi Clean Spray (blue bottle).

What I have not yet tried:

Magic Eraser

Clorox2 (blue bottle)

I’m just at the end of my rope here.. My tub, all things considered, is beautiful and an oasis. I’ve gotta get those stains out before they get any worse. This is in a guest bathroom so its the first thing people see when they come to our home and use the restroom.

• dnaleri2
    5 years ago

Have you tried Bar Keepers Friend in the powder form? You might try that. Make the powder into a paste and scrub the stain. Be sure and wet the stain first or it might scratch the surface. I have some spots I have gotten rid of that way.

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

You've covered about every angle I can think of. Usually when I run out of options, I use bleach. For countertop stains on Formica it works well. Actually these days I use Soft Scrub liquid cleanser with bleach.

I am not sure scrubbing it with more aggressive abrasives is going to solve it, but I don't know what's in Barkeepers Friend that might work, so don't take my word for it.

What is the nature of this nonstick surface, and will it be damaged by bleach? If it's just an etched version of the same porcelain it should be fine.

• dnaleri2
    5 years ago

I think in older cast iron tubs if you use bleach it will interact with the cast iron and cause a yellow stain. At least that is what happened to me.

• yolandassouthside
    5 years ago

I forgot add BarKeepers friend to the list. Yes, I‘ve tried that too. I’m really not sure what to try now because none of the other stuff has worked and I don’t want this to get to a place where I have to get rid of my tub. My tub is porcelain so bleach doesn’t have the same effect as a metal tub, but its not clearing the spots.

Any other ideas?

• HU-738822290
    5 years ago

I need some help. My cleaning lady used soft scrub with bleach on my tile shower and forgot wipr it off. It hardened by the time I found it. I Immediately sprayed the shower down when I found this and after the shower wall and flor dried it dried while. It appears the floor tile is ruined because when wet looks perfect but when it dries it is while and looks horrific. Can shower tiles beige in color with almon grout bleach out color. Need ideas please.

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

^^ That sounds unusual. I would have thought the pigments in tile and grout would be inorganic and not very susceptible to bleach, but OTOH various people have stated here that bleach can discolor all manner of things. Can you post wet and dry pics?

• dnaleri2
    5 years ago

The reason the cast iron bath tubs turn yellow or orange in color after bleach is due to the cast iron reacting with the bleach. In the case of my tub, it is very old and the finish has worn off a lot and that is causing the discoloration when bleach is used.

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

Bleach will certainly oxidize iron to rust. I was just surprised the effect can go right through the porcelain finish. But it's probably more porous than I realized. Especially if the shiny glassy surface is worn off.

• dnaleri2
    5 years ago

I would call soft scrub and explain what happened. Since it is their product they should have some ideas on how to fix this.

• Yaya Piantedosi
    4 years ago

Thank you! My husband squirted toilet bleach stuff on our 100 year old clawfoot and left it. Came home to find TOTAL DESTRUCTION - RUST MARKS ALL OVER - used Clorox2 and it is fixed! (phew)

• Marty Asher
    4 years ago

Yup, I’m grateful for this thread going for what 13 years?! ❤️ I used a bleach based cleaner in my 111 year old claw foot tub and it turned orange/yellow then I came here and all the talk of Clorox 2 then someone says it’s the hydrogen peroxide in the c2. Well I have hydrogen peroxide in my cupboard so I jump off my bed and rush to try and just pour it on no scrub or anything and instantly returns to white!!! YAY! Thank you 🙏

• Nellie Musignac
    3 years ago

!!

• Jimmy Deese
    3 years ago

Thank you! The peroxide worked on my tub well!

• Maira Alejandra
    3 years ago

Thanks for this. I used oven degreaser & Bar Keepers Friend & it worked almost immediately.

• HU-492687803
    3 years ago

I am at a loss. I used draino on my tub (which appears to be repainted) and noticed a yellow stain. I then tried bleach which I didn’t know would create a bigger more yellow problem. I have tried , hydrogen peroxide and cream of tartar, white vinegar, lemon and salt, the works, an oxygen based powder to literally NO avail. No change in color from what I see. I guess my next step is to use tub spray paint on the bottom.

• cathyb9
    3 years ago

I was cleaning my bathtub and sprayed it with chlorox + tilex mix and left it on overnight. the next morning it was all strayed with rusty spots. I tried pure chlorox to remove the stains, but that made it even worse. I was prepared to use cream of tartar and hydrogen peroxide paste to remove, but the word peroxide made me think of oxiclean....I sprayed oxiclean on the stained surface and rubbed a little bit with a rag. The spots disappeared almost immediately leaving the bathtub white like snow...it worked like magic!!!

• lorraineg570
    2 years ago

Does the clorox 2 clean the non-slip bottom of newer tubs? I have a cast iron Kohler tub that is 5 years old. The no slip reason the bottom always look dirty. I've tried bathroom cleaner with bleach, baking soda and vinegar, clr... It looks awful...ideas?

• toxcrusadr
    2 years ago

Seems like you've tried about everything in the chemistry set! Oxidizer, acid, base, reducer/chelating agent.

BTW, if you used baking soda and vinegar, I hope it was separately, because together they would just neutralize each other to make a solution of sodium acetate salt.

To other earlier posters who used bleach on rust stains: Bleach oxidizes iron to rusty looking iron oxide, so it is not surprising it made the rust look worse. Use CLR another rust- and scale-remover instead. They have chelating agents that can dissolve the rust and keep it in solution so it can be washed away.

• Suzanne Hollis
    last year

This happened to me last night - I just moved into an apartment in a 1925 apartment building. I sprayed the tub with Chlorox with bleach and freaked out when I came back ten minutes later and saw a horrifying bright orange crisscross grid. I tried a magic eraser and The Pink Stuff. Nothing.

I had very few supplies on hand and out of panic I just grabbed some Spray and Wash. Stains INSTANTLY disappeared before my eyes on contact - it was like magic. Don’t know why it worked or why I thought of it, but figured this must happen to others and wanted to share.