Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Carbon Monoxide Problem

Posted by Leslie77 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 02 at 21:27

I have a CO problem, and can't locate the source. I have 2 gas log fireplaces, my cooktop is gas (although it's electronic ignition, so there's no pilot) and my water heater is gas (I should say that all of these are propane).
I've lived here for over six years with 3 CO monitors that have only registered 0 until now. Twice in the last 3 weeks they have gone up into the danger level, causing one of my cats to get carbon monoxide poisoning. The two times this has happened, I've had people out to check, but they can't find anything. Last night as a precaution I completely turned off the propane into the house. So right now the only thing with a flame is the water heater which the people lit when they came back today to check. When they came this morning, everything had dropped back to close to 0 because I had opened every window and door in the house last night. They left no stone unturned on the water heater, and checked other things also. They couldn't get any readings. When I got home from work tonight all the monitors are rising again. They suggested the possibility of something causing false readings, but I know it definitely has to be CO because of my cat's illness both times. The other puzzling thing is that it hasn't been an ongoing problem. It happened once two weeks ago, then things just naturally went back to normal, then is happening again now. There's nothing peculiar that has happened these two times. Does anyone have a clue as to what my problem could be? I should mention that my HVAC system is geothermal, so that can't be the culprit.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Carbon Monoxide Problem

I had a CO detector that started going off, and the fire department came to check things out.

They opened the detector and showed me that there is a special paper inside the unit. They said that the paper is treated to react to CO, and since mine was still white, it was a false alarm. They also checked everything with a "sniffer" just to be sure.

I'm not sure if all units have this inside, but you may want to check.


 o
RE: Carbon Monoxide Problem

Was anyone nearby doing yard work? Ours will go off, when DH is using the gas leaf blower.

Also - even though the furnace is not in use, it could still be the culprit.


 o
RE: Carbon Monoxide Problem

I think I've finally discovered my problem. My garage is under the house. When I had my car inspected in May, my mechanic told me that by next inspection I would need a new muffler. I've moved the car out, everything has dropped back to 0, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When I can be home again next weekend to watch things, I'm going to pull it into the garage again and see what happens.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here