Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
odor in house during humid weather

Posted by Jane913 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 19:10

I see I'm not alone with my house odor problem! I live in a house that we built 10 years ago and every summer starting in about July, the hot humid weather brings out a terrible odor in our house. This odor, and trying to find the cause, has driven me almost to the breaking point. Picture me on my hands and knees sniffing every surface in the house--including standing on a ladder with an empty wrapping paper tube to my nose trying to smell the ceiling light fixtures! I've turned into THAT lady!
Anyhow, to me the odor smells either like a dirty hamster cage ( we don't have hamsters) or charred fish. The smell is particularly strong in our entry way and in our back hallway. It bothers me more than my husband, but he is at this very moment using some odor-be-gone liquid on the floors to see if that makes a difference. It won't, because we did that last year. I've had every HVAC man in the county here to investigate, had our duct work deodorized, people up in the attic, and they find nothing wrong. Replaced the rod in the water heater too. I can relate to each and every one of your problems and hope you all find answers. Anyone have any ideas for me?? I'm always lulled into thinking the odor is gone when June arrives and there's no odor.......but then July happens and I'm pulling out my hair all over again--ha!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: odor in house during humid weather

what kind of flooring do you have in the entry and back hallway? Could it be the glue under the floor or something like that?

o

Jane, I have no help to offer as I am in a similar boat (except this is our first summer in this house and I couldn't smell anything until I was pregnant and now it overpowers me). I've done the frantic smell testing everywhere too. I said our odor smells like a dirty dog rolled in honey, but the dirty hamster cage isn't far off either as the cedar shavings sort of capture the cloying sweetness I am smelling. Does airing out the house help in your case at all? It does not seem to in our house. I have been suspecting our suspended ceiling, so I painted all the tiles in Kilz to try to keep them from offgassing anything else, but that worked or masked the smell for 3 days and then it came back when it hit 100 degrees again. Do you have any paneling? We have a small wall of paneling in the culprit room and I was thinking perhaps it could be a glue issue there.

o

Jane - I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. I had noticed a similar smell in our home around July this year. We now run a dehumidifier 24/7 and the smell has been gone all summer.

o

Jane - Did you ever find the issue?

o

This may be a little late, but has anyone considered the fact that around that time was when the Chinese were importing drywall into this country? The drywall itself would put off an odor. There was a recall and a class action lawsuit if I remember correctly. Just my $.02, but I'd have it checked out. Just do a search for Chinese drywall problems

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/housing/2009-03-16-chinese-drywall-sulfur_N.htm

http://www.certified-chinese-drywall-testing.com/chinese-drywall-problems.html

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/drywallsheetrock/a/ChineseDrywall.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here