12 years ago

Do Not Hire This Contractor

We Had A Real Bad Experience With:

The Contractor - John Paul

J P CONSTRUCTION

3709 BIGLER WAY

SACRAMENTO, CA 95817

Business Phone Number:(916) 320-1055

The Contractor - John Paul - Is not very professional - He told Us to tell Him what We would like to have trimmed and He would trim it - After We pointed out what We wanted trimmed He said he would do it - When He finished painting the house and started the trim - He argued for more than an hour about what trim was and told Us He would not trim the things we pointed out for trimming

The Contractor - John Paul - Is not very professional - I pointed out That what He did to Our Chimney did not look right and He went into a tantrum about His Work and His 35 years of experience and before I knew it He had disappeared - I found Him down the street arguing with Himself - I had to literally call Him back and ask Him if He was going to go back to work

The Contractor - John Paul - Is not very professional - I pointed out that the roof He finished leaked after it had rained - He argued with Me for a half hour telling Me about His 35 years of experience - And said the roof cannot be leaking - He pointed out the work He did and kept insisting the roof cannot be leaking - He asked me to tell Him how it could be leaking

The Contractor - John Paul - Is not very professional - He kept arguing with Me and telling Me what He was not going to do - hence the trim etc... - This arguing could go on for a half hour to about an hour - I had to keep reminding Him That I was the paying customer - And He will do the work I Contracted Him for

The Contractor - John Paul - Is not very professional - He did not reattached the wiring He unattached around the house to the wall after He painted - He did not reattach the fuse box back to the wall after He painted - He left it lying on the ground - He left scrap roofing on the roof - After putting in the brand new roof John Paul left a large oil spill on the roof from His machinery - He stood on our hot tub and We told Him "Do you realize all you are standing on is Styrofoam" - Which the hot tub lid inserts are composed of

The Contractor - John Paul - As the job neared the finishing point - We more than once reminded John Paul that these things that I have pointed out have to be addressed - His answer to Us was He would finish them off when He came back to do the electrical work He was going to do for Us

The Contractor - John Paul - We did not think to check the lid to the Hot Tub until We paid Him for His work and He left with the understanding that He would be back to do the electrical work and finish off the rest of the outstanding issues - Once He was paid and gone - I went to put the chemicals in the Hot Tub the next day and the Styrofoam insert gave - I realize that is our bad

The Contractor - John Paul - Is not very professional - We called Him on the days He said He would be back to do the electrical and finish off the outstanding issues along with - And His answer to Us was He will not do our electrical work and He will not be back to finish off the outstanding issues from the original contract

Comments (5)

• carolssis
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry to hear of all your troubles with this guy. What did you have in writing (contract) to have done? It's a sorry thing to have to argue with someone about what they are supposed to do, that's why you have the contract with them, and have EVERYTHING in writing as to what they are going to do. Also, you should not have paid him the final money if the work was not done. After all the argueing with him, I'd think he would take off with the work unfinished. Report him to your local office of Better Business Bureau. Let's hope he isn't smart enough to lein your property for unpaid work. Contractors do this all the time, apparently without much proof that they are actually owed any money for contracted work. Good luck. Start watching Mike Holmes, on television, Holmes on Homes, and Home Inspection. Or check out DIY network on the web. Mike Holmes has taught a lot of homeowners just what they can do and can't with contractors.

• dreamgarden
    12 years ago

Why not join Angie's list and let many more people see this review?

If enough potential customers see this, they will think twice about hiring him. Or, Angie might act on your behalf to put pressure on him to do the job right.

A link that might be useful:

www.angieslist.com

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

Let's see, you signed onto gardemweb.com on Monday to tell us about your contractor. Do I have this right? If old John Paul comes to Dallas I'll be sure to avoid him.

• cas66ragtop
    12 years ago

You argued for more than an hour about what was and what wasn't considered to be trim? Then you found him down the street "arguing with himself"? What does that even mean? That should have been your big clue something was really wrong with this guy. If it were me, he would not have stepped foot on my property ever again.

I know there are a lot of really shady contractors out there. I am not taking this guy's side, but it sounds to me that you did a few things wrong too. It does not sound to me that you had a good contract, clearly defining what he was expected to do. It sounds like you told him verbally what you expected, and that doesn't hold up in court very well. You ALWAYS need to get this stuff in writing. It also sounds like you paid him upfront for a lot of the work. You NEVER pay in full until he is totally finished and you are happy with the work. The biggest mistake I see here, is it sounds like early on you had enough grounds to fire him, but you didn't. Arguing for over an hour? Even if it had only been 5 minutes he would have been termitanted. You don't argue like that with customers - EVER. Either he was totally nuts or maybe you misunderstood a lot of things and had too high of expectations. It really sounds to me that you both made some mistakes here.

Sorry things didn't go well. Next time you hire a contractor I hope you are more careful and will protect yourself a lot better.

• Lindsey_CA
    12 years ago

Looks like I've arrived late to this party, but I can't help but comment...

My husband and I live in the unincorporated area of Sacramento County, so when I saw the subject line of this discussion I clicked on it to read it. Aside from the fact that it took only seconds to get tired of reading, "The Contractor - John Paul - Is not very professional -" ...

At least my husband and I know enough to verify that an alleged contractor is, indeed, licensed by the State of California. John Paul is not. There is no licensed business with a name anywhere near JP Construction in Sacramento County.