Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rotted wall behind pre-cast concrete stairs

Posted by shortlid (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 17:10

I knew when we bought our Colonial built in '91 from teh bank on a forclosure we would have some issues. But what looked like a rotted kick plate under a side door turned out to be a non-suported pre-cast stainrs that sunk agains the house and the landing on top was pitched slightly towards the house for years. Rotted out the kiick plate all two inches of seven of the 6X2 studs under teh door and all the particle board sheeting under it to the foundation! Glad I caught it before teh mud room started to sag! Can't get access to teh crawl space under the mud room. So have to break the concrete stairs up witha 20 lb. sledge haul it away replace all the wood and siding under the door! Replace the stairs and riser with a PT one!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rotted wall behind pre-cast concrete stairs

Too bad.

o

Yep, nothing like thousands of dollars worth of water damage to welcome you into your first home!

o

Sorry you are having to go through this... we have a similar looking situation in a house we are trying to buy, but in our case I think we got lucky... looks like we can maybe just jack up the slab, and that there is no permanent damage to the stuff concealed by the stairs. Best of luck with the project...

Janet

o

Be very carful, if you decide not to repair the wall that was geting water damage. Carpenter ants love this type of situation and if you get a colny move in it can get bad very fast!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here