Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

How to get cigarette smell out of leather furniture??

terezosa / terriks
19 years ago

We are thinking about purchasing a used leather couch and loveseat from a woman whose husband was a heavy smoker. The house that it is in has a very bad smoke odor, so I imagine that the furniture will need to be deodoized. Is it possible to get the smell out of leather furniture, and how would I do it? The furniture is in really good condition and the price is very good.

Comments (9)

• noodlesportland
    19 years ago

no-would not count on it....inside the leather there are other materials--even the wood frame will have a heavy residue.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, the price was VERY good, only $500 for the couch and loveseat, plus she threw in a leather recliner, so we decided to go for it. All of the furniture is in excellent shape, except for the smell. If we can't get the smell out we should be able to sell it for at least what we paid. So if anyone has and suggestions on getting rid of the smell I'd appreciate it. All of the cushions, and even the arm and back pieces are zippered, so we will remove the foam inside and clean and air that out. Then we will need to clean the leather itself and the cloth decking material.

• hamptonmeadow
    19 years ago

Buy a odor neutralizer called Atmosclear. You can find it at Ace Hardware. This is what car dealers use to get rid of cig smoke. It is very effective. Open up pillows and get inside the furniture if you can and spray it. Then spray it all over the furniture. It shouldn't stain (test first) and is very effective.
    I don't sell it, I have just used it. It also doesn't stink up your house like Fabreeze and works much better.

• Kj_Walther_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Orange TKO is the solution you need! You can get it at ace hardware. It's made from orange peels. I sprayed it directly onto my aniline protected leather couches that had a heavy smoke smell and just let it soak into the leather. Viola the smell is gone!!!

• tech_camelback_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Just wondered if any of these worked.? I bought a leather couch sight not seen got out home and the cigarette smell is so bad it made my eyes water... Luckily I only paid 35 dollars.. It is in great shape so I would hate to throw it away.

• missdeidreb_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Which one worked the best?? I have a free leather couch set and it smells nasty. They're so comfortable but I can't get the smell out even with two rounds of lysol wipes, two rounds of rich leather cleaner... still has a bad stank! I'm so hoping something works!!!

• HU-650245545
    3 years ago

I have the same problem . Oh the smell is awful. Which one works the best ?

• cindallas
    3 years ago

I know this is an old post but since there is a current question about this, thought I'd share what worked for me.

I had a healthcare worker that was helping with my Dad who I hired and didn't know she smoked. She was great except for that but she reeked so badly I could not even stand next to her. My DH found a larger version of an Orek air purifier we'd used before and we put it right by the chair she sat in and there was no more smoke odor!! Problem solved! (Worked even faster than the smaller one we had used before to get rid of paint VOCs) It was amazing. Room smelled of fresh outdoor air and was wonderful.

Then I used the same Orek later on to clear cigarette smoke and moth ball smell from several expensive leather purses that I'd gotten a good deal on in eBay. It took about 2-3 days to get rid of both smells, and I thought I'd leave it a few more and I was pleasantly surprised to even have the smell of leather retur! Had I not known what to do, I would have had to trash them.

And just recently, helped my sister with very strong VOC odor from a huge brand new cat tree that was about 6-7 feet tall. It was particle board and sisal and her cat was starting to get sick and was giving them headaches. It was in a room by itself and it had improved in a day and was totally cleared by day three or four. She was so impressed.

So I've never done multiple large pieces of furniture, but it it can clean the smells from several rooms of the VOCs from new paint smells, cat trees, purses and chairs, it would probably do great with yours. I would leave it several days to a week but you should smell improvement in 1-2 days I would think. Oh, and I always put the side that pulls air in, towards the item to clean and not the side blowing out.

The brand is Orek and no I don't work for them or anything. Just pleased with a product that worked on this difficult problem and sharing it.

The larger one we got that worked so well for us is called Orek DualMax and it even has a small remote.

If you try it, hope it works for you as well as it has for us, our family and friends.