Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mouse Traps...Above or Below Insulation??

Posted by tom_p_pa (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 14:01

Above my bed, I hear mice (I think). Luckily I have a walk up attic. Today, I took my circular saw and cut a plywood strip about 2 feet wide and about 8 feet long to expose the joist cavity. I did see rice sized dropping on top and below the insulation, so from internet research, it appears I have some mice. Question, do the mice traps go on top or below the insulation? Not knowing better, I pulled back some insulation and tucked it under the plywood exposing the top of the sheetrock ceiling and put the traps there. Is this OK? Should I lay the insulation back down? By the way, these snap traps are a royal PITA to set. Everytime I placed it on the ceiling, they would activate. I actually had to take a salad tong and use that to carefully place into the joist area. Did not tell my wife though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mouse Traps...Above or Below Insulation??

I would just put them in the area where you see droppings - the areas you know they are already accessing. Have you considered that what you're seeing might be baby squirrel droppings or something else? Have you asked the local humane society if there are humane ways to get them out? Have you had a contractor tell you where and how to block any new access?

o

go pick up a few boxes of mothballs. put them out all over the attic, i usually use a box every couple hundred sq ft or so. just dump them out eveyrwhere. the mice will leave. seal all holes big anough to get a pencil in. seriously, if they can the head thru, the body will follow.

o

I had an old shoe box that I put the trap in, nestled in the insulation. Works fine, haven't had a mouse up there in a couple years...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here