Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimrac

Bad contractor web site

jimrac
17 years ago

is there a site to post contractor complaints on???

Just curious,,, I have had a roofing nightmare since day one, going to small claims,,,but I want to make it known publicly if possible about this guy.

thanks

Comments (35)

• moonshadow
    17 years ago

There's AngiesList, but it's not free. Not sure what they charge, and it goes by State, but I did hear about it in one of these forums at GW.

Also, many individual states offer complaint options (such as Attorney General). If you go to the Federal Trade Commission's site, at the bottom of this page, see the sections "Where to Complain" and "More Information", you'll see instructions on whom to file a complaint with and links to other options.

• mayvenne
    17 years ago

Just thought I would add that angieslist has been running promotions, and at least in my area- central Jersey, it is free.

• dockside_gw
    17 years ago

I went to angieslist and asked if they had contractors in my area which is about an hour from Seattle. Got a response, saying they had lots of contractors in the Seattle area but wouldn't tell me if any were in MY area. When I replied that I needed to know if there were any in my area, I never received a reply. I didn't want to waste my time and money if there weren't any or many in my particular area even tho' there is a money-back guarantee and it is about $67 per year. So - I'd be wary.

• bushleague
    17 years ago

There is and better than the BBB, Ripoffreport.com.

• victor_loxbosh_com
    17 years ago

True story folks!

Rogelio M. Figueroa aka Rogelio Figueroa of Miami-Dade County, Florida has ripped off countless unsuspecting residents of South Florida. Rogelio Figueroa operates under the following business names:

JESSIMAR RESTORATIONS, INC
    JESSIMAR MARBLE & GRANITE DESIGNERS, INC.
    JESSIMAR RESTORATIONS ROOFING, INC.

This can be verified here: http://www.sunbiz.org/corpweb/inquiry/corinam.html simply type the name of the company. As of 03-2007, Rogelio Figueroa is located at the Miami-Dade County Jail. Charged with 10 counts of Grand theft, and 9 counts of contracting without a license. For more details, on these cases, visit: http://www.miami-dadeclerk.com/cjis/search4.asp and enter Figueroa Rogelio and M for male. You will get a returned hit with a DOB of 1958. That is this individual, please note that he has also been sued in Miami-Dade County and Broward County and has current open judgments in excess of $20,000.00. We believe that there are many more victims which have yet to come forward, and may never come forward. However, we need to spread the word that this contractor is less than ethical!

His name and company names come up on a list published by Miami-Dade County as having obtain his contractor license using unlawful means: www.miamidade.gov/contractors/library/06-08-24-new-contractors.pdf

We have reason to believe that this contractor walked away with an excess of $100,000.00 worth of deposits given to him and his company to repair roofs in South Florida, he simply ran off with the money and never started the work! BewareÂ..

Here is a similar story; it appears that this is all too common!

http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/257a4b2c.html

• sparksals
    17 years ago

Angie's List is reputable. I have used them to find decent contractors and found a great computer repair guy as well. I"m in Tucson, so the membership is free for a year and I will gladly pay for it when my free subscription is up.

The beauty of AL is that it is reviews of actual customers and it's nearly impossible for contractors to post phoney positive reviews.

• glennsfc
    17 years ago

How about a BAD CUSTOMER website...know of any? Sure would make the work of a contractor much easy...i.e., to avoid unreasonable clients.

• jimrac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sure no problem glennsfc. Do it...

Does that make what I have had to experience ok?

As a "percentage", I would venture a guess and say, there are a higher percentage of cookie cutter, unscrupulous, half ass contractors than there are customers.

• newenglandbuilder
    17 years ago

Don't be so sure jimrac, there are flakes and liars out there everywhere, as consumers and as business people.

People need to check references and make the extra effort to make sure a contractor has a good contract, guarantees their price at least within 10%, has a change order policy, is licensed as required by their locality/state and pulls permits as necessary.

I wish all consumers would at least to that very basic due dilligence, then possibly the shady and incompetent contractors would starve.

But, since there are millions of homeowners who believe they'll get something for next to nothing, who want to hire an idiot so they can cheat them for more than they paid for, hire young kids who they know have no insurance or business know-how so they can take advantage of them, or who are just too lazy to do their due dilligence, shady and/or incompetent contractors thrive.

Might I also mention that I cannot for the life of me understand why consumers don't organize to push for basic oversight of contractors in their states and better enforcement of fraud and regulatory violations.

As long as people are willing to accept the contractor as a lazy, drunken, ignorant bum, then that is as far as the bar will rise. Although contractors can attempt to unite to rid their trade of the garbage, as long as people are willing to hire them, they will persist.

Just my rant, no desire to offend, but I find the stereotype and the lopsided responsibility quite offensive.

• jimrac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

no problem builder..

Unfortunately, here in CT, there is the State of CT Consumer Protection which has oversight of all home improvement contractors and other trades. they require licensing, etc. The standards here are more strict than most states. Hasnt helped all that much.

As I mentioned previously, i stated, "as percentages". Do you know what has been the number one complaint to the departmnet the past 2 years, and also nationally involving consumers?

Home improvemnet has surpasses car dealers as number 1; and rising and at great rates.

True there are consumers that are penny wise and pound foolish, dont do their homework, and then may suffer the consquences. Its unfortunate that some bad apples do spoil it for the bunch.

And I might add, I would venture another guess, with tax time upon us, I would so most contractors, who usually deal in cash,,,,,,avoid paying their fair share of income taxes,,,,,,how about that! Do you fit that category, or declare every penny?

• mommycentral
    16 years ago

Posted by sobe(victor@loxbosh.com) on Wed, Mar 7, 07 at 0:55

True story folks!
    Rogelio M. Figueroa aka Rogelio Figueroa of Miami-Dade County, Florida has ripped off countless unsuspecting residents of South Florida. Rogelio Figueroa operates under the following business names:

JESSIMAR RESTORATIONS, INC
    JESSIMAR MARBLE & GRANITE DESIGNERS, INC.
    JESSIMAR RESTORATIONS ROOFING, INC.

What happened to this guy??

• mphollins
    14 years ago

I've experienced a lot a horrible contractors, from small business to large corporations and so far, I've never seen a reliable consumer reporting agency for the contractor and home remodeling business. I got fed up with the BBB because they continued to post high ratings on a very unethical mold removal contractor that damaged my home and lawn. Consequently I wrote a blog specifically to rank about bad contractors and how to avoid them-http://mycrappycontractors.wordpress.com. I am convinced that homeowners need a grass roots campaign to get our elected representative to take notice of the problems encountered when the State fails to provide us with stronger laws and protections for bad contractors.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://mycrappycontractors.wordpress.com/

• FatHen
    14 years ago

mphollins, re: your request, "I am convinced that homeowners need a grass roots campaign to get our elected representative to take notice of the problems encountered when the State fails to provide us with stronger laws and protections for bad contractors."

I agree, and there have been many consumer efforts to do exactly this. And every time, they are opposed by the money and power of the homebuilding industry. But the good news is that if there is no specific law concerning bad builders/contractors, you often actually have more legal rights because you can use existing general consumer protection and tort laws. Once you have specific builder related laws they often do more harm than good because the builders can write how the law will work, and their industry is often allowed to be in charge of it. It becomes a good old boy club. Many states that have licensing fail to protect consumers any more than states that do not have it. In theory the laws should work but in practice they often are toothless.

Two of the most active groups working on this problem have been around for years. One is Homeowners Against Deficient Dwellings www.hadd.com and the other is Home Owners for Better Building, www.hobb.org. Hobb's mainly TX based but but both have good info and both are run by volunteers. To my knowlege neither group is run by anyone BUT former victims of bad builders so they are very dedicated and understanding of the problem, and also know how the legislatures work. I credit these types of groups for giving me the kind of REAL consumer info it took to be able to resolve a construction dispute years ago. Had I found them BEFORE I got ripped off, I could've prevented the whole thing. I think the problem with consumer groups is most people don't even know to look for them before they buy. And far too many people don't give them the credibility they should have. HADD, particularly, is run by really down to earth professional-behaving people; they do not do crazy things or suggest consumers do risky things in their complaints, etc. I was really impressed by the things they do, most of which remain unknown to the public unfortunately, as these groups never seem to have anyone to promote them, whereas the building industry can afford lobbyists, public relations firms, legal defense groups, and so on.

So fighting for legislation to hold bad contractors accountable is going on, and more people to do it (and go about it in a professional way) are sorely needed. Real consumer protection legisltion is needed but I'd never be in favor of the watered down or even dangerous bills pushed by builders. I've never seen them work for consumers, only for builders.

• sybarite23_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I would like a reputable website that I can search for contractors on. Home Star and Angies won't allow negative feedback posted on contractors nearly will kijiji or craigslist, which are a breeding ground for bad contractors.

My experience is never hire Fr for Reno's located in St. Catherines and Niagara Falls Ontario Canada. The operation is runned by two brothers names Frank and Randy Zschogner or Zschoger. They are unlicensed and promised excellent professional renovations for a fraction of the price. Let me tell you first hand, they almost set my house on fire by using the wrong electrical wire. Everything they did in my home has to be redone completely. The contractors will not return my calls or emails to fix which was supposed to be guaranteed work for life.

Do not hire them because they can potentially harm the largest investment of your lifetime - your home and family and everything in your home.
    rzschoger@yahoo.ca
    Randy Zschogner - 905-380-1729 Frank Zschogner - 289-214-7218

• mimi_23_goodwin_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

NEVER HIRE DAVE MATTOX!!! He took $15,000 from us never finished the remodeling of our kitchen in our home. He left everything half done, he left our cabinets and etc. Pulled out never finished anything! He is the worst contractor ever. He is not trustworthy at all. We gave him the money we agreed on and he still kept asking for more when he wasn't even finished with anything he started the half a** work that he did do was AWFUL! Not only that he has a child malestor working for him and he knew it!!! Just be smart NEVER hire this guy he is from West Columbia,SC. He walked off the job with our $15,000, he changed his number and never came back. We still have unfinished work and wires hanging from our ceiling because he never finished what he started. WOW if this is what $15,000 is worth now then I would sure hate to be any of his clients that spent way more and god only knows what has and hasn't gotten finished!!! NEVER HIRE DAVE MATTOX (COLUMBIA,S BEST RENOVATIONS) MY A**!

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

It is an absolute mystery to me why anyone would pay the total up front for a job. MAJOR red flag when a so called contractor requires the total up front.

A number of years ago we had all 34 windows replaced in our home. Company had been in the same location with a large show room since 1967. We Paid 10% of the total as a down payment. Three weeks later when the job was done, the owner of the company came out and went over the job with me to make sure I was satisfied. It was only then that I paid the remainder for the job. BTW, the total for job for Ply-Jem double hung windows was under $10K.

IMO, the biggest fool is some one who pays the total for a job up front and then wonders why joe blow contractor is never heard from again or does a half ass job!

• mikefisherman
    9 years ago

Mike 'NO BUILDING PERMITS' Tedesco does work in Brigantine, NJ WITHOUT permits!!! NO WONDER WHY!? He doesn't want the building inspector in Brigantine to check his TERRIBLE work!!!

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

I once heard an attorney ask, "what's worse than an unlicensed contractor?"
    Answer: A licensed contractor.

• souzaremodel
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

IN SPOKANE/CDA AREA: Don't hire MARK HOWELLS of ALL-AROUND CONTRACTORS. He destroyed our home costing 10's of thousands of dollars in damage. even the doorways were made too large for doors, vinyl flooring installed backwards, buckling in 2 weeks. Fire& electrical nightmares. Remodel from HELL! I have proof

• Barbara Brandt
    8 years ago

In 2008 I selected a roofer FEATURED on Angie's List. He was really good when he was at my house. Particulars too long to go thru but none of the workers spoke English. they removed the slate and took it away. The gutters were to be state of the art K Gutter System for my whole house with huge trees a real problem. forward 8 years and flashing flies off the high roof. the company never came back a year after installation when other workers found no insulation in eaves and I was told then the company was not in business. So, this time I had a neighbor helping and we discovered no covered gutters. We also have found out old gutters remained on half the building. They failed and so now leaking into house. Found the company! Warranty not honored. Now my insurance company is helping me. Bad guys showing up here and the last one appears to be a fake. So my instructions to my insurance company, as I cry and tell them what has happened and the $10K estimate which is absurd, etc., is keep the recording. I will need it in court. I will be suing the company that did the roof n 2008 but I am also going to file a complaint about what has happened just trying to get my small repair with the help of the adjuster. I want to submit the chronology to the consumer bureau in PA but also to mine in NJ to the division that protects senior citizens from abuse. The $10K estimate was for a proposal to remove my roof, remove my insulation (non organic) and the inside walls of the room below (all new sine 2008 with no organic materials) because they may have mold. The guys could not even put a ladder together, Had no idea what they were doing. So, my case will be against Laurel and Hardy and anyone wanting the initials of the company can drop me an Email. Just remember, if someone cannot use an extension ladder and has no idea what organic vs. inorganic materials have with mold growth, a fake has arrived at your door.

• rlemieu3
    7 years ago

If you are a Maine resident - DO NOT hire "Do It All Drywall". We paid $2300. and the photos will show you what we got!!

• rlemieu3
    7 years ago

There are many more photos......Travis Therrien.............run from him.....run, run.......

• glennsfc
    7 years ago

Wow!

• Sal A.
    5 years ago

I got burned by smutty, lieing, conniving, dishonest, crooked,
    despicable contractors. They were supposed to complete a drywall job
    that was mostly finished. I had a bid to do the work by a reputable
    licensed contractor for $500, but this guy Jason Callahan talked me into
    letting him come to bid on the job. He wanted $750.00, but promised
    that he would make the finished room look fantastic. He claimed he was a
    perfectionist and would come back as often as needed if there were any
    minor touch up flaws to address. In the end, they charged me $750 then
    asked for $200 more saying there was a problem they would not fix unless
    I gave them more money. I did. Final bill came and I didn't notice that
    I was overcharged. In the end, they got $1,050.00.

Jason forgot to borrow sanding equipment from his day union job, so all
    he had was a small sanding sponge... should have known that was a bad
    sign... that plus he was a no show for two days. They came on the set
    clean up day anyhow. I went upstairs to look and pointed out that they
    had not mudded over the drywall tape. They lied to me and said it did
    not need to be mudded over and that it would not show. Also said if
    there were any problems they would be back. Wanted their money anyhow. I
    only held back $50.00 to make sure Jason showed up the next day. He
    did, but was only there a few minutes, sanding a couple spots. I had to
    ask him to take out the garbage they had left from the job, and despite
    being bigger, stronger, and younger than myself he actually complained
    about it being heavy. Can't believe the jerk would try to leave the
    construction debris for a female customer to remove. I paid him the last
    $50.00 and that is the last I have heard from him. He won't return
    phone calls. I primed and painted and the damned tape lines look crappy.
    For $500.00 bucks I could have had the job done right, but these lying
    crooks got more than twice that and refused to finish the work. The name
    of the company Chrisopher D Larson owns is Csquared Salvage. I
    contacted him via facebook messenger and via phone. He lied and said
    they would be over within two days to look at the problems. That was
    over a week ago and they are not responding to my attempts to contact.
    The jerk told me that they like to earn fifty bucks an hour each, and
    that the work at my house was at 22 hours, so therefore they had no
    intention on following through on the contract. They were not being paid
    by the hour, but by the contract bid amount. Creeps and liars. I paid
    initially by check but Jason came the next day all upset that my bank
    would not cash it without a three percent fee unless it was simply
    deposited. They must be cheating the IRS and US taxpayers, too. He
    demanded that I get him cash instead of the check. Big mistake to deal
    with these losers. https://www.facebook.com/csquared.sa...3%3A1533133692 https://www.facebook.com/jason.callahan.7549

• millworkman
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Wait is it "Jason Callahan" or "Chrisopher D Larson"? I am confused. If you had someone professional to do the job for only $500 why keep looking? How did someone "talked me into letting him come to bid on the job."? Then you state you contacted him?

• Sal A.
    5 years ago

They worked on project together. What are you confused about. I explained I hired bad contractors. I made a mistake. A couple of con artists manipulated me into hiring them. I regret hiring them. Hopefully other people will make wiser decisions than I did. Business is by the name C Squared Salvage, also spelled Csquared Salvage.

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

Sorry this happened to you.

If he was Norwegian, would you declare that you no longer trust him or his kind because Norwegians can't be trusted? Again, sorry this happened, but don't let it feed racism.

• HU-902658
    3 years ago

DO NOT USE BRENT & Mary G - ( B&M Custom...) flooring, Bathrooms, Tile... etc

New Albany, In or surrounding areas including Louisville Ky... BAD NEWS!

• HU-300338296
    2 years ago

Had a bad experience with this contractor 305-333-4203 dont use

• HU-300338296
    2 years ago

we had a contractor that run off with the money and did not pay his men terrible these guys have family Had a bad experience with this contractor 305-333-4203 dont use

• HU-352978779
    2 years ago

My handyman, Sean Dyar “screwed” (sorry for the language) me out of $3,000.

Long story but I want everyone to know.

He lives in Canterbury Courts in Carrollton, TX. He is a proud dad of 3 & enjoys everyday like it is his last. He is known as Sean, the main Grunt & passed out flyers in my neighborhood.

He did some smaller handyman things for me & it was great. Then he suggested I paint the exterior of my house.

I took his advice & paid him $1500 to start. Then he complained that he needed Hernia surgery & bc he was a friend now & met my children, I felt sorry for him & paid him the entire $3000 he quoted for the job.

I have waiting since April 2021.

His Fiancé, Beverly even called me (no caller ID) & asked if he & I were having “relations” bc she couldn’t believe I paid him in advance for the job. (Never, never). I was not interested in him that way. NEVER.......Yuck.

Shame on me for being a nice person trying to help their fellow man.

Because I paid him “cash”, I have no way to retaliate or sue him. Super stupid on my part, I know so....

I just don’t want anyone else to be taken advantage of like he “screwed” me.

TMI & I shouldn’t post, but I have to bc he took advantage of me in such a bad way, I have to do something......

What comes around, goes a around. He will receive his in another way. I believe in God & being a good person.

Thank you if you read this post & sorry so long. Melinda B Walker. 😡

• HU-352978779
    2 years ago

My handyman, Sean Dyar “screwed” (sorry for the language) me out of $3,000.

Long story but I want everyone to know.

He lives in Canterbury Courts in Carrollton, TX. He is a proud dad of 3 & enjoys everyday like it is his last. He is known as Sean, the main Grunt & passed out flyers in my neighborhood.

He did some smaller handyman things for me & it was great. Then he suggested I paint the exterior of my house.

I took his advice & paid him $1500 to start. Then he complained that he needed Hernia surgery & bc he was a friend now & met my children, I felt sorry for him & paid him the entire $3000 he quoted for the job.

I have waiting since April 2021.

His Fiancé, Beverly even called me (no caller ID) & asked if he & I were having “relations” bc she couldn’t believe I paid him in advance for the job. (Never, never). I was not interested in him that way. NEVER.......Yuck.

Shame on me for being a nice person trying to help their fellow man.

Because I paid him “cash”, I have no way to retaliate or sue him. Super stupid on my part, I know so....

I just don’t want anyone else to be taken advantage of like he “screwed” me.

TMI & I shouldn’t post, but I have to bc he took advantage of me in such a bad way, I have to do something......

What comes around, goes a around. He will receive his in another way. I believe in God & being a good person.

Thank you if you read this post & sorry so long. Melinda B Walker. 😡

• Gary Buffard
    2 years ago

Anyone looking to remodel their bathroom or bathrooms like I did, remember this contractor's name Gersy's General Remodeling. Run like hell !!

"Pay less, suffer more" make sure his insurance liability is updated if you decide to hire him. Thankfully, I was wise enough from the start, it paid off for me to fix some of the shotty work that was never corrected as promised. The ins. adjuster was shaking her head. Smooth talker and deceiver, Beware, a lesson learned.

• Kevin Doherty
    last year

Do not hire Tyler Munro of Munro Contracting, Hudson, NY (may be working under another name because we posted honest reviews wherever we could online). He showed up months late and then came sporadically to do subpar, out-of-code work. He stole our down payment and then cost us an additional $4K to fix the floor after we had his hack job removed. Run. A Houzz thread from mid-nightmare: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6248967/contractor-tiling-issues-what-is-accceptable

We are also having a bit of trouble with the replacement team and will NEVER hire GCs again. I had to retile a section of the backsplash because they messed it up twice. My finish is a million times better and I have never tiled before (but I am an art director).