Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_sw_va_mts

Skunk eviction, how to

Kathy_sw_va_mts
21 years ago

If a skunk moved in under an open porch at your house what would you do. I read all the information I could find but the only thing I could find was not to feed your pet skunk chocolate. Think if a few bars were tossed under they might eat it and go to the great skunk place in the sky?

Thanks for any and all help.

Comments (8)

• jasper_austin
    21 years ago

I'd call animal control.

• backyardbill
    21 years ago

Try putting a radio under there with it and turned up loud. I had a skunk move into my garage an nothing worked until I turned on the heavy metal music. It only took a day or so of that and it was gone. Lot less smelly than a dead animal under your porch.
    Bill

• Diana_in_CT
    21 years ago

We had a pest service set up a cage trap. He removed the critter and then they terminate it. Whatever way you do it, be sure to add lattice or chicken wire around the underside of the porch after, burying the bottom a few inches into the soil. Otherwise, he or others will come back. They love decks, porches, and crawlspaces!

• charityoh
    21 years ago

moth balls work--we put several boxes under our pourch and have never had another problem

• melz
    21 years ago

If you still have a skunk, try placing a flood light near the nest. Skunks don't like bright lights. I think the music would work also.
    Melz

• winna
    19 years ago

Speaking of skunk eviction: how do you deal with a skunk accidently caught in a have a heart trap which was set for a destructive raccoon?????

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

i have often wondered about those traps catching something that you didnt want - my friend uses those to catch her niehbors cats - ... i would call a local animal control officer...

• Abby1930
    19 years ago

My sister has been catching skunks in my hav a heart trap.There was a family of them living under her porch and the animal trapper person wanted too much $ (in her opinion)
    They have trapped about 6 without a problem (not something I would want to do.) They cover the trap with a large piece of burlap, and keep it covered while they transport the skunks to their new home. Once there they open the door and stand back, and the skunks waddle out and make their way to the woods. Maybe my sister is just lucky (or we have unusually calm skunks here) but this trapping is working for her and they think they have relocated the entire family.

Abby