Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skunk eviction, how to

Posted by Kathy_sw_va_mts (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 12:31

If a skunk moved in under an open porch at your house what would you do. I read all the information I could find but the only thing I could find was not to feed your pet skunk chocolate. Think if a few bars were tossed under they might eat it and go to the great skunk place in the sky?
Thanks for any and all help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skunk eviction, how to

I'd call animal control.

o

Try putting a radio under there with it and turned up loud. I had a skunk move into my garage an nothing worked until I turned on the heavy metal music. It only took a day or so of that and it was gone. Lot less smelly than a dead animal under your porch.
Bill

o

We had a pest service set up a cage trap. He removed the critter and then they terminate it. Whatever way you do it, be sure to add lattice or chicken wire around the underside of the porch after, burying the bottom a few inches into the soil. Otherwise, he or others will come back. They love decks, porches, and crawlspaces!

o

moth balls work--we put several boxes under our pourch and have never had another problem

o

If you still have a skunk, try placing a flood light near the nest. Skunks don't like bright lights. I think the music would work also.
Melz

o

Speaking of skunk eviction: how do you deal with a skunk accidently caught in a have a heart trap which was set for a destructive raccoon?????

o

i have often wondered about those traps catching something that you didnt want - my friend uses those to catch her niehbors cats - ... i would call a local animal control officer...

o

My sister has been catching skunks in my hav a heart trap.There was a family of them living under her porch and the animal trapper person wanted too much $ (in her opinion)
They have trapped about 6 without a problem (not something I would want to do.) They cover the trap with a large piece of burlap, and keep it covered while they transport the skunks to their new home. Once there they open the door and stand back, and the skunks waddle out and make their way to the woods. Maybe my sister is just lucky (or we have unusually calm skunks here) but this trapping is working for her and they think they have relocated the entire family.

Abby

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here