Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flooding in ohio

Posted by mjsee (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 03 at 10:32

I live in NC--own a condo (which mymom lives in) in NE Ohio. Strom drains couldn't handle heavy rain there Monday night--her apartment got flooded--though not as seriiously as the other buildings in the complex. We've contacted (and contracted with!) a company that cleans after flooding/fires...and I have insurance for this kind of thing. MY concern--what about the other unit owners that DON'T have insurance? In a communal building (these used tobe apartments) what happens when someof the owners clean-up repair, and others don't? I can't get the management to even talk to me--to be fair they have their hands full--but am stressing a bit. Anyone with experience in this sortof thing?

Melanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flooding in ohio

I assume the problem has been solved by now and all is dry in your area. Did you have to pay for the others?
Marie

o
RE: flooding in ohio

We will have to pay for the communal space...because the condo board voted not to invest in flood insurance. (!)

MY insurance covered all but $250.00 (my deductible) of the $6000.00 cost for repair of my unit. Our building wouldn't have flooded at all, if the drains the condo association is responsible for had been properly maintained. I hope the condo board has enough liability insurance--my guess is that the un-insured will sue for negligence. (The blocked/inadequate drains had been reported several times, over a period of weeks prior to the flood.)

Our maintenance fees will be increased by about $150.00/month for the forseeable future...but that just covers the public space. We were declared a disaster, and are eligible for FEMA loans--that should help people re-build. The whole thing has been an exhausting mess, and highlights how useful proper insurance is.

melanie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here