Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crosspost - cleaning up water damage HELP!

Posted by ThirdKitchenRemodel (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 03 at 10:29

My brother has been working on 2 sections of his roof with help from our dad. They have most of the prep work done, the roofer is scheduled to come out next week to put the roofing on (it's less than a 2/12 pitch so not a DIY job). Last night while we were at a fireworks show a huge storm rolled through, blew the plastic sheeting off the roof and the rain just poured in. The ceilings fell down in the kitchen, dining room and guest bedroom. They cleaned up the plaster and drywall but still have to dry everything out.

So what we need to know if how to dry everything completely so mold won't delevop. The DR and guest room are carpeted, the kitchen is old vinyl. In the guest room was a mattress that is just *totally* soaked, can it be saved?

So far all they've done is run the Big Green Machine over the carpets and mattress to suck up water. I think they need to pull up the carpet and pad to dry underneath, maybe even replace the carpet. What about the mattress set? It was soaked through, can we get it dried out or is it a mold colony waiting to happen?

They have a wet/dry vac and I'm bringing them a huge fan this afternooon. Is there anything else that will help?

TIA for advice!

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crosspost - cleaning up water damage HELP!

Contact your insurance agency to see if help is available. When my father had water damage, the insurance company pulled up all carpet, and set up large fans to blow moisture out, and this ran for abour 4 days. This was to prevent future mold damage......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here