Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help...Carpenter Bees getting inside house

Posted by toobie-ornot (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 10:27

We noticed carpenter bees coming out from a gap against the house between the concrete porch and the front door wood step. So a family member sprayed inside that gap after dark and immediately sealed the gap. And I'm not sure if this was the correct way to take care of the problem.

Ever since that gap was sealed, I've found three carpenter bees in less than 24 hours inside the house in the room where the front door is located (where it was sealed outside). I have no idea how the bees are getting inside, since I haven't opened that door. One bee was sitting on my sofa this morning, but it was very docile and I was able to place the bee outside. Then a half hour ago, I saw another bee in that room.

What is the proper way to eliminate carpenter bees? Is it possible that some of the bees are still alive inside their nest where it was sealed, and they're trapped in there? How small of a gap can these bees fit into?

Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help...Carpenter Bees getting inside house

There is certainly an opening somewhere from the inside of the walls to the room, you just haven't found it yet.

I have had good luck with products and advice from this website (link below).

Also you can Google 'carpenter bee control' and probably find oodles of fact sheets and recommendations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Do My Own Pest Control - Carpenter Bees

o

You never want to seal any carpenter bee gaps until the late fall. Leave them all open until then. Otherwise if you seal them in they'll burrow another one to get out, especially if you didn't spray them with something that has an immediate knock down effect.

They first appear in April or May, whenever temps go above 70 degrees. This was a long and really cold Winter so I know I didn't see any until closer to June. They dig tunnels and lay 5-6 eggs in each one for the first few weeks. Then you'll see them occasionally throughout the rest of the summer in the early mornings or evenings when they are leaving early to get food and then bring it back at the end of the day to store in the tunnel for their larvae. Activity will tend to die down after a couple months when the original generation of adults dies off. Then in the fall the larvae will come out to feed one last time and then go back in the hole to hibernate through Winter.

You want to leave the holes un-sealed until then because you are going to treat them with a dust insecticide such as 7dust from Home Depot. Puff it into each hole you can find and then just leave it alone. This is a way more important step than attacking one bee at a time. The adults will pick it up and carry it inside with them and then the larvae will touch it and die when they come out in the fall. Patch the holes in September or October when you know for sure that everything in there is dead.

Next year get some traps and put those up, and have an exterminator put a 90 day residual strength repellent spray on all exposed exterior wood. Be prepared to still see a few of them burrow fresh holes, which you can then deal with using more of the dust. If you follow this routine they won't go away over night but activity should die down to little or nothing after 2-3 seasons.

If you are around an area where there is a heavy population of them then putting up traps and have your exterior wood treated by an exterminator should be the routine every year as soon as temps go above 70 degrees.

o

We have had good luck trapping carpenter bees this spring/summer using a trap like the one one in the link.

I don't sell anything through Etsy but I did find a trap there quickly and am using it as an example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carpenter Bee Trap

o

I would hire an exterminator.

o

Thanks so much, everyone, for the help and information. I haven't seen any more carpenter bees in the past month.

o

There is nothing that keeps them away permanently. Close any gaps to outside so they are not burrowing into the main structure of your house, assuming all the ones currently inside are dead or gone as another poster mentioned.

This post was edited by Peter1142 on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 15:49

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here