Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair or Replace?

Posted by FraidyMan (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 8:46

My 12' x 24' outbuilding got hit at a 45 degree angle by a dead yellow birch, about 24 " diameter, which did some damage. The insurance company is paying me for my misfortune.

8 ft of the 25 ft long roof is smashed on one side of the ridge, the rest of the pine (#1) is in good shape. The gable ends are fine, maybe a little squashed (2 inches) at the plate closest to the tree.

The 9 joists all popped as the building squashed out. 4 of the 18 9' rafters are intact, leaving the rest to be replaced.

I have stripped shingles, roll roofing and tar paper off the worst smashed side by bracing the fallen roof inside the walls. The other side is not nearly so badly damaged- mainly the broken rafters. I have 2 sections of steel scaffold that make the roof pretty accessible.

I intend to salvage as much pine as I can. Is the best way to take the roof apart then re-build, or would it be feasible to jack up the roof and "pair" the broken rafters? Which is going to be less work? If you have attempted something like this or know of a similar project, I'd love your insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair or Replace?

Don’t ask your barber to butcher your cow and don’t ask your butcher to build your barn. For whatever reason, (probably because there are so many idiot contractors out there) many believe they can handle their own construction projects. People don’t realize how problematic and costly it is (in time and money) to take on jobs like this.

Have you ever seen a carpenters tool boxes, his truck and his hands? These guys have tools and contraptions for so many different tasks. Their hands typically feel like a catcher’s mitt that’s been left outside for the winter. This work is hard and requires the right tools, equipment and experience.

By asking your question, it’s likely you don’t have the experience, tools or equipment to handle this project. Giving you construction advice is like giving you advice to remove your own tonsils. I don’t recommend it!

The insurance company probably gave you enough to do the repairs properly. I recommend you find a good contractor who will work within your budget.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here