Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fraidyman

Repair or Replace?

FraidyMan
10 years ago

My 12' x 24' outbuilding got hit at a 45 degree angle by a dead yellow birch, about 24 " diameter, which did some damage. The insurance company is paying me for my misfortune.

8 ft of the 25 ft long roof is smashed on one side of the ridge, the rest of the pine (#1) is in good shape. The gable ends are fine, maybe a little squashed (2 inches) at the plate closest to the tree.

The 9 joists all popped as the building squashed out. 4 of the 18 9' rafters are intact, leaving the rest to be replaced.

I have stripped shingles, roll roofing and tar paper off the worst smashed side by bracing the fallen roof inside the walls. The other side is not nearly so badly damaged- mainly the broken rafters. I have 2 sections of steel scaffold that make the roof pretty accessible.

I intend to salvage as much pine as I can. Is the best way to take the roof apart then re-build, or would it be feasible to jack up the roof and "pair" the broken rafters? Which is going to be less work? If you have attempted something like this or know of a similar project, I'd love your insight.

Comment (1)