Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black bees hive

Posted by edwin_appliance (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 07 at 2:05

Hi all,

There was a black bees hive found in front of my father in law's house. He damaged half of it, with the bottom half was cut & dropped onto the ground. He thought they will relocate. Next day, he found the hive was already partly repaired! The bees are still coming & going to & from the nest.

What should we do now? Any suggestions? Is it the best way to kill them all? Personally, I don't want to kill them. If I damage the nest enough, will they "give up" & build their new home somewhere else? I was thinking to get someone with gardening background to "clean" them up. Any suggestions are welcome.

Please advise.

Edwin_appliance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black bees hive

For whatever reason (global warming or something else) bees are in very short supply this year and everyone's worried about them - the future of growing things, etc., so if it's remotely feasible to just leave it alone this season, use another door, very gently (at night) move it over out of the way a bit, I'd say that would be terrific.

o

Sounds more like hornets than honey bees.
If they are black and white they are hornets.
Honey bees are black and brownish.

o

A link that might be useful:

www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-carpenter-bees.htm

o

Carpenter bes do not build hives.
They are mostly solitary.

o

Sounds like bald faced hornets,black and white.Can you leave it till fall when they leave.Those are nasty bees too,.

o

The choice is to leave them alone or to kill them. They will not be discouraged. They do not negotiate. When fully dark they will be as much at rest as they get, one of the long distance aerosol sprays marked for such insects will kill them. Aim at the nest opening in the bottom. Be close enough for good blast when you start. As you spray, move in closer as the pressure of the spray drops. For European hornets, I use one of the electric bug zappers for a few days to reduce their numbers. They will fly into the zapper all night long. Clean out the zapper each day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here