Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Olive oil on carpet!

Posted by Spadewoman (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 03 at 23:53

A jar of olive oil spilled on my carpet! Any advice on what to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Olive oil on carpet!

I'm curious; were you able to clean it up?

o

a good shop vac should suck the worse of it out, use paper towels to blot the rest up- if the carpet is dark, you can use newspaper.

sprinkly the area liberally with corn starch, and vacuum. repeat until it's as 'dry' as it's going to get. then break out the carpet washer, and add a teaspoon of TSP cleaner to the mix.

o

Dawn dishwashing detergent is good for oily messes--it's what the bird rescue people use to clean sea birds after oil spills. (I first learned of this after the Valdez spill) It's also great for spot treating oil stains on clothes!

melanie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here