Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees nests!!!

Posted by kmdnpd08 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 21:28

Hi! I wasnt sure what forum to post this in. But what is the best thing to use to get rid of some bees nests that WONT CAUSE STAINING TO OUR SIDING???

We built a new home where an old dilapidated house was, so the bees have come back this spring/summer, thinking this is still their home! Help! We want to get rid of them but not ruin our vinyl siding! Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees nests!!!

Yes, call the nearest beekeeper association, or 'farmer' or whoever to come and do the job because bees are in very short supply lately and it's wrong to kill them if there's any way around it. Professionals will lead the queen (and all others will follow her) to a new location.

o

Bees staining aluminum siding? How?

o

Are you sure that they are bees ? I have an eighty year old cottage where I battle with wasps every year, could that be your problem ? If so, a trip to the hardware store will get you a spray that will solve it, but make sure that they aren't bees first , and then MAKE SURE YOU READ THE DIRECTIONS ON THE CAN !

o

What do the nests look like? My guess is they are the ever-present paper wasps, which drive me crazy year after year and for which I am constantly knocking down nests built in eaves and doorways. These are supposedly beneficial insects, but I wish they wouldn't build their nests in places of egress. They aren't honeybees, which is what I suspect larke was worried about when he/she suggested contacting a beekeeper.

Lastly, why do you think they will stain your siding?

o

I believe she is looking for a treatment that won't stain VINYL siding...

o

Honeybees or wasps?

A decent stream from a garden hose nozzle can usually knock the smaller wasp nests off the house.

Do it in the evening (twilight, not by the clock) when they are less active 9some may cling to the fallen nest and be more than willing to go after you).

A can of insecticide for any remaining on the nest on the ground will finish them off.

Actual honeybees find a beekeeper.

They are normally not that aggressive and can be smoked and safely moved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here