Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Sinkhole in my Driveway

Posted by moose186 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 7, 06 at 20:59

I have a driveway which is on a pretty steep grade, so the builder installed a drain trench running perpendicular to the slope to make sure the water didn't collect at the bottom of the hill and freeze in the winter. Well, that trench apparently wasn't hooked up to the storm drain correctly and it had been leaking for over a year. All of a sudden last week I noticed a relatively small hole in the asphalt above that bad connection. Looking closer, I saw that the hole underneath was huge.

So I fixed the leak and filled the hole with gravel (50 gallons worth!). Then i poured concrete over the gravel, and added asphalt on top. I thought that would do it, but after another heavy rain today, I noticed that whole area had sunk a little, and on a closer look, saw that another huge hole underneath was there, at least as big as before. I can barely see any of the gravel I put in there last week.

Did I do something wrong? Where is all this gravel and dirt going? How can I fix the problem?

Thanks-
G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Sinkhole in my Driveway

doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong. the material has to be going somewhere. the water in the soil is allowing the dirt (and your gravel) to move to a new location. something is settling or there is a pocket in the soil (never compacted).

o
RE: HELP! Sinkhole in my Driveway

Maybe when it rains the underground water runs that way and moves the dirt. That happened to us - we didn't know it and a delivery truck sunk into our driveway. We just kept putting in gravel and re-paving it. We did that 3 times and it seems to have resolved now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here