Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny Holes in Ceiling

Posted by P_Bennett (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 20:17

My wife just looked up at our living room ceiling and noticed this group of holes (see attached picture). I felt around it and didn't feel any water or moisture, and we haven't seen any bugs or insects in the house (doesn't mean they don't exist, of course). Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused this??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny Holes in Ceiling

How long have you lived in this house? Did teenage boys live here before you?

o

Looks like holes from someone throwing darts or shooting a BB gun.

o

Yes, looks like the work of kids--do you have any? Or any who have visited lately? or perhaps a babysitter who may have had her boyfriend in while she was there?

While you're figuring it out, I'd get out a ladder, a large sheet of thin paper, a crayon and make a rubbing of the area, so you can tell if the number of holes increases (and when).

o

What is above the ceiling?

An attic?

o

Doesn't look like insects...it looks pretty clearly like a sharp pointy object was poked into and pulled out of the gypsum panel.

o

My guess would be ice pick or metal darts. have you noticed any "sand) or "dirt" looking area below. Might put a large sheet of paper on floor below it to see if little piles develop. We are getting new plants & critters in U.S. every year such as the tiny cream colored spiders that bite & burns like crazy. Medium sized red spiders that seem harmless but I don't keep them around long enough to know. I've seen them come out of boxes from China but they may have hitched a ride from anywhere the ship went! They can come in on bottom of wheeled luggage on shoes or clothing, in totes or duffel bags etc. I've seem tiny tunnels around on a ceiling with tiny black shelled bugs. They die with a flat tray of rat poison put up above the area they are in. We think they come in houses with the apples. They love the paper in the sheetrock. My aunt in N.Ca. has bugs that eat cardboard so anything she stored in a box was riddled with holes. Your holes look like they got there by humans messing around!!

o

Ah, c'mon--don't leave us hanging--what have you discovered? surely by now, you've solved the mystery.

o

I'm guessing a very sharp pencil tip flung at the ceiling.

o

Someone in a now forgotten generous stupor trying to find joist support for the bracket(s) needed to hang a big flat screen TV or heavy fancy lamps surprise gift?

o

No pencil I know would penetrate drywall without at least the tip breaking off. Something heavier and more durable did that.

o

Hi,

Did you ever find out what it was? We just noticed quite a bit of tiny holes (like the marks from a few 100 darts) on our bedroom ceiling. Some areas of tiny holes are also in our living room and 2nd bedroom. It looks very much like your photo. Thanks.

Best,
Sonya

o

"No pencil I know would penetrate drywall without at least the tip breaking off. "

Try a 9H drafting pencil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here