Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roberta_z5

Tiny black beetles on kitchen counter

Roberta_z5
20 years ago

This is the first year I have seen these. They hardly move and I don't know if they are coming in through the screen or what. They don't seem to gravitate toward food, they just slowly crawl around and drive me nuts. How do I get rid of them?

Comments (58)

• hup68_msn_com
    12 years ago

Mine were gone for a while - but they are back...after cleaning I found a bug killer spray that is pet and people safe from Lowes or Home Depot. They are intrusive little bugs, but this time will spray every month to six weeks just to stay ahead of them. I live in south carolina so the climate is perfect for all the creepy crawlies....good luck

• jonsmith1990_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

this is the first year i have seen them. I noticed one munching on a dead fly on the floor. Now i see them everywhere. I made a mixture of kero syurp and clorox and put drops on paper. I put them around areas like in the corners on the bathroom floor and kitchen. Seems like they are starting to draw toward them. But to early to tell yet. I'll let you all know soon. If this doesn't work i thought about getting bug bombs and going around the base boards. They seem to be there alot.

• cuttingras_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I've been fighting these in my kitchen for about two years now. We remodeled our whole house about 5 years ago, and the house was uninhabited for about 5 years before we bought it(2006). I'm thinking they came in on some dog bones in a box. They are in every cabinet I have. I cleaned out the one with the dog bones today and there was a colony inside the box! They were all over the bones. NASTY! I don't like bugs in my house and these are freaking me out. I've cleaned all my spices and put them in air tight jars. I've cleaned all the cabinets over and over. My next option is to bomb. I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow and I'm also going to our local discount store and buying every air tight plastic container they have. I cook ALOT! So I can't be having bugs...... Georgia here Barb, I feel ya!

• jeanettedevlin_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

you are not alone. tiny black beetle looking things that seem dead, but when I mess with them they crawl a little. I have tried all different things, but they are coming from the kitchen window, they are by the sink but not IN the sink?!?! what a mysterious little thing! They are no where near the food. Weird. looked up every type I could find. they can't be a beetle.

• Elvanickole_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have the same problem. They're everywhere! I'm my room my restroom the kitchen the living room I even found one in our cereal box which made me puke! They are extremely disgusting they crawl all over you! We didn't have this problem till 3 months ago it's really gross and I don't want to go into the pantry anymore to get food. Any solutions?

• jones-lisa_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

A lot of the tiny bugs that get in the cereals & pantries are called weevils. Google that & see if that is ur bug. But the bug I'm looking for is also one of those tiny black beetles that live around the sink instead of the food. I believe the r coming in through a window where an a/c unit is & the window is not tightly sealed around it. They rarely gravitate to anywhere else except the counter top by the sink. If u know what they are, please help me out here. They r annoying!

• pris
    12 years ago

I agree with jones-lisa

What most of you are talking about are weevils. You bring the eggs into your house in sacks of flour, cereal, etc. If not stored properly, the eggs will hatch and start to migrate. Slowly, lol. I only had the problem once. Since then I keep my dried cereals, rice and pastas in air tight containers and my flour in the freezer. I must admit, I was as mystified as the rest of you until I realized what I was dealing with.

• Reneepowell_live_com
    12 years ago

I just started having these, they are mainly by the window and on the ceiling, they look like little beetles. They are NOT roaches and I notice they come at night after the lights go off. Last night was the first time we seen them, killed about ten then tonight after I went to bed I went back in the kitchen and there they were. Not near food. Ugh how do you get rid if them?

• emilynewhome
    12 years ago

They sound like weevils! Any one who shopped in a military commissary years ago probably remembers them. We never knew which shopping trip would bring us the weevils (that is if you ever got rid of them). Flour was a big culprit so was pasta, and cereals.
    Thank goodness for Tupperware which helped contain the critters somewhat. Cooking kills them but kids can see the little legs/bodies and won't be fooled that it's pepper!

• burns7876
    8 years ago

Order cedarcide it works and is all natural

• armyjay07
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Not sure how often you guys frequent the page, but I've been having 2 types of bugs recently (2 months). The first is the little black beetle (picture to follow) and it's mostly in my sink in my kitchen. These little pests made their way into my microwave housing and can withstand 3 minutes of microwave energy. I have not bought any new spices, flour, cereal, crackers, nothing of the sort. Frozen meals and bread that I also freeze. I threw out the microwave (sucked anyway) and have been using lemon lysol spray. The weird part is I spray them with it, and they die in about 10 seconds. I've hit about 15 of them and they all died. Might be cheaper than bug spray. I had a colony of the other bugs in a bag of chocolates. Eggs everywhere in there. Those had very tiny, slender bodies that were a little long. Still smaller than the beetles by over half the size. Like.....mini baby cockroaches........With 6 legs and antennas. They showed the same time as the beetles. My belief is they are coming up the sink, as water doesn't deter them. I've had more bodies in the sink than anywhere else.

The beetles are about the size of 2-3 numbers of the year

stamped on a dime. They are black and slow. THEY DO FLY! I've had a few land on me in the living room while in the middle of the floor. They have a brownish pattern on their backs, like a group of dots if not in a weird "w" pattern. Hard to see due to size. They are so small my camera can't focus on them to get great pictures, but here is what I got.

• armyjay07
    8 years ago

Even better folks, I've found what the little buggers are called. Look up "springtails" and see if they match what you have. According to what I've read so far, they can come in different shapes and sizes even from the same colony. I looked up springtails and found pictures of the second bug I mentioned earlier. I'll post both pics as well. The first one makes them look ant size, but they are SO far smaller than ants. I found beetle like springtails, flea like springtails, and these roach like springtails. If it's what you got, look up the treatment and don't feint. There's a lot to these guys and they can be found any season. Here's pic 1.

• armyjay07
    8 years ago

And pic 2 that shows their size. Like I said, from what I've read, they come in different shapes and sizes even in the same colony. The beetle I pictured higher up looks like the same thing I've seen referenced as springtails as well. Look into it please.

• armyjay07
    8 years ago

*Sigh*

Ladies and gentlemen, I also present to you another possibility: the cabinet beetle. Also non seasonal and is imported by your grains and flour. Yaaaay. Just call pest control to have them identified. Orkin does free quotes.

• Lori Jellison
    8 years ago

this is the bug that is trying to take over my kitchen. Only find them near the sink, kitchen light and window. None in the pantry. Can someone please help with how to get rid of these things?!?!?

• Patty Morgan
    8 years ago

I have them too. Inside the window, on the sill, on the sink and counter. They seem to mostly be dead, but they never stop appearing. I clean them up and spray, but nothing stops them. I thought they were coming in around the window, so covered it on the outside, but didn't even slow them down. I am still not positive and intend to caulk between the window and the siding, but it won't stop raining. Anyone have any ideas, I'd certainly appreciate it.

• Patty Morgan
    8 years ago

Took a few of the bugs to work with me and the exterminator came by and got them. Text me later and said they are Red Flour Beetles. He said if you find the source and eliminate it, they will be gone. Last night I opened the container that holds the big milk bone dog bones and found them inside. Took the whole container and put it in the freezer. Took it out this morning and went to work. When I came home I didn't have any new bugs. The milk bones were the source. Thank heaven I didn't have to search cabinets as there were no bugs in any of them that I could see. I also discovered there was a hole in the bottom of the plastic container where they were getting out and going down on the floor and then flying to the window by the sink where I always left a light on.

• armyjay07
    8 years ago

• armyjay07
    8 years ago

• armyjay07
    8 years ago

The seem to come in on grain, sugar, flour........anything really. These guys were even living inside my microwave. I opened the bag of beans and sprayed lysol lemon cleaner in there and it killed them. Also every other one I've sprayed has died in about 10 seconds. I then tossed the beans and have sprayed my cabinet several times over my original posting. I have seen a few stragglers once in awhile, but they met the same fate. I don't know if cabinet bugs or red flour beetles are their name, the multi image beetles I posted was from googling cabinet beetles though. Eliminate the source, spray, no mercy. Also, it was suggested to bag off items for 2-3 months to see if any new ones appear in the bag. Freezing does nothing to deter them as they survive extreme temperature changes (I've nuked them on high power for over 3 minutes and they lived still).

• Elizabeth Taylor
    8 years ago

I have all of a sudden started seeing little black bugs in my kitchen. They are not around any food. They are on my kitchen counter & the floor. I see at least 3 at one time. I have tried spraying with not any luck. They disappear for a little while after I spray, but they are back the next day.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

If you read this thread you will see that the solution to weevils and many of the other pests mentioned is to find the bag of flour (or whatever) they are in and get rid of it.

By spraying, you are just treating the symptom and not eliminating the cause.

• sail_away
    8 years ago

I would occasionally see some very, very small beetles in one cupboard. Had a hard time figuring out where they came from, as there was no flour or other grains in that cupboard. Finally figured out they were in some loose tea.

• Elizabeth Taylor
    8 years ago

I keep my flour & things like that in my fridge.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

Cereal, cornstarch, pancake mix, pouches of gravy mix and hot cereal, bags of pasta, beans, rice, you name it, they'll get in it.

• Elizabeth Taylor
    8 years ago

I don't have any of that on my counters.

• suzs80
    8 years ago

There are two different types. We had the weevils in our flour, etc, but cleaned out the pantry and now freeze all pasta, flour, bread crumbs etc, then put in seal tight containers. We no longer have those. However we have these tiny black beetles that are everywhere, especially dead on windowsills. I've seen them on the floor, my desk, and US !! Yup, watching TV, feel something crawling and it's one of those beetles. The don't bite or anything, but they sure freak me out. Have no idea what they are or how to stop them from getting in my house. I live in Florida !! HELP !!!

• Joan Edge
    8 years ago

i HAVE THESE SMALL BLACK BEETLES IN KITCHEN AREA ABOUT 3/4 OF AN INCH LONG AND HAVEMNY FEET. THEY LOOL LIKE ATRAPDOOR SPIDER BUT NOT. WHAT ARE THEY??

• Joan Edge
    8 years ago

NOT IN FOOD EITHER BLUISH BULBOUS MIDDLE SECTION. HELP!

• Shehab Parnianchi
    7 years ago

I have the same problem. I think they got to my house after I added Mulch to my backyard. They jump! and drive me nuts. they are now in second floor. they are not attracted to food. dont know what to do!

• Janet Guise
    7 years ago

Try diatomaceous earth to get rid of them. It is messy and looks like flour, but it is safe for food and around food. Google it, very interesting. It is actually used in most stored grains to kill bugs, and it kills all crawling bugs including cock roaches. There is "food grade" and there is pest killer grade but I suspect there is not alot of difference. I have seen it online as being available at home depot among other places. I just purchased some for roaches, but I found this sight because all of a sudden we have thousands of these little beetle like bugs of many sizes all in the same colony (as described in the springtail comment) that seem to be migrating and was trying to find out what they are. They are crawling all over the sidewalks, the yard, the house, the roof, and falling off the roof like rain. I am sure the diatamaceous earth would kill them if I wanted to coat the back patio, but they are not in the house so I will wait to see. A couple years ago the same thing happened, and then they just disappeared as quickly. Hope they go soon, they are driving me and the cat crazy.

• Lisa Komidar
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Started last summer. Found the black beetles with a brown stripe. Tried different things to get rid of it. Had flours in lower cabinet and got rid of that and put everything up high and flour in a container. Now I'm seeing really tiny black bugs. I take babies? They are always around the original cabinet but no food there at all now. Always on the floor. I keep sweeping and spraying.

• Lisa Komidar
    7 years ago

Small ones and I did find a bigger one just now.

• cactusjj
    7 years ago

The last few nights we have had a swarm of tiny 1/4 inch long and 1/8 inch wide black beetle in our bathroom. I can't figure it out since there is not a window that can be opened in that room. They can fly but usually just crawl slowly. Any idea what they might be and how they might get inside? We can't find any possible entry and have looked everywhere

• abe1988
    7 years ago

How

• cactusjj
    7 years ago

I found out from a "bug expert" that the photo I posted is of Darkling beetles. He said they likely were drawn in for moisture here in the desert and can come up pipes if you have a septic tank (we do) so my mystery is solved.

• Dawn Shank
    7 years ago

I have no idea what this is, but they just started appearing out of no where. Anyone have any idea what it is and how to get rid of them? They bite and it hurts. But it seems they are only in the bathroom and bedroom. This is a picture of one on my nails. They are very very tiny.

• Dawn Shank
    7 years ago

That's the last of the pictures I could get, but figured I'd go ahead and just send what I had. They are making me crazy. Even when I don't get bit I'm constantly itchy and can't stop scratching. I really hope someone knows what this is!

• msrubi50
    7 years ago

As other posters have suggested find the source. I've had them for about 3 weeks and kept looking around the shelves and couldn't really see a trail or find them so I just went up there after reading this thread and couldn't find them. Then I dropped an unopened bag of pasta on the counter and they all fell off. I have open bags of flours and meals in the cabinet as well, in storage baggies and I shook those up and they're not in there so I guess they came with pasta.

• User
    7 years ago

All these posts, and not one person suggests getting a local pest control company out? DO IT. They're the ones who find the source. They might, actually, critique your food storage- eh, let them. You need to hear this, if it's an issue for you. Find a real, reputable company that guarantees their work- they don't stop until pests are gone.

• petitflower
    7 years ago

Ugh, I just spent better part of my afternoon cleaning these out of my pantry! I started noticing them about a week ago. I have pets, a garden, we're in and out a lot, but they started getting more frequent, and the numbers were increasing! After a quick internet search, I immediately started dismantling my pantry. I repackaged cereal, pasta, etc. I wasn't finding much until I started kicking around the bottom... I found the culprits in a real "party palace" (as another post likened it to, elsewhere), a bag of birdseed! OMG!

• armyjay07
    7 years ago

Juanita, I actually did suggest calling pest control. My suggestion of lysol spray is off of what people may have available if they can't afford to call pest control at the moment. I prefer home remedies anyway, but yes, it was suggested to call orkan because they give free quotes.

Dawn, those look like either fleas or possibly bed bugs. Look up those as images and see what you can find. Once you know what they are, you can fight them properly.

• tamika jones
    7 years ago

I am finding these in my living room. They resemble nymphs. Are they??

• Joyce Fox
    6 years ago

The bugs I have are black, round, and about the size of a poppy seed. I can clean off the counter and within 5 minutes there will be more. They do not fly, just crawl. A real pain.

• HU-254212273
    3 years ago

I think those beetles that some of you are seeing are called carpet beetles. You want to get rid of them they will eat your carpet and your clothes and get into your food. They don't bite but do cause an allergic reaction in some people. Your best bet would be to call an exterminator.

• Umm Talha
    3 years ago

They're Black Carpet Beetles.

• Christine Weaver
    3 years ago

Ok so I live on the first floor in an apt above the basement.recently maintenance was cleaning down there most likely stirring up three different bugs I've never seen before in all my 52 years.theres bugs that hang out in the junk drawer I think the same ones that go into the flour bag.i just empty the contents of the drawer,clean it and they're gone for awhile.they also hang out in sealed containers clothes etc.then the bugs you don't know are there amongst dust or under the frig and stove imagine they're attracted to whatever oil is under each appliance,then fruit flies,weevils not tics,and leaf flies that killed all my plants,they fly and jump extremely fast

Ok so I live on the first floor in an apt above the basement.recently maintenance was cleaning down there most likely stirring up three different bugs I've never seen before in all my 52 years.theres bugs that hang out in the junk drawer I think the same ones that go into the flour bag.i just empty the contents of the drawer,clean it and they're gone for awhile.they also hang out in sealed containers clothes etc.then the bugs you don't know are there amongst dust or under the frig and stove imagine they're attracted to whatever oil is under each appliance,then fruit flies,weevils not tics,and leaf flies that killed all my plants,they fly and hopping skittering so fast which hang around anything damp then lay their eggs.recebtly finding the worms on towels,tea bags,keurig filter water filter,the catfood they even sneak in my bags of fresh bread and they try to hang around the kitty litter box I try to cleaning immediately after the cats do their doody which I imagine are crawling up their hoohas.apple cider use to work when it was just fruit flies,these new bugs aren't bothered by dish soap,comet or apple cider vinegar with dawn.ir just seems like I clean one room 🌟 ung another then repeat repeat repeat,I feel like I'm wasting my time and products that have no effect on them.hellllp!

• Donna Knighton
    2 years ago

I was wondering if anyone knows what these little black bugs are there by my window I keep killing them but keep finding more and more there all over my kitchen floor now I'm creeped out please help me they are tiny got a shell like a bottle barley move until u try to kill them

• PRO
    Tina Kyriakis - Realtor- Coldwell Banker
    2 years ago

I've lived in my house since 1993, and this is the first year I've ever seen these tiny bugs. They dont move they just appear. And they've appeard in the corner of my kitchen where there is no food. So I'm especially confused. I tried a Combat Bate Gell, but I dont think its acheiving the goal of them taking it back to the nest... because they stick to it. Spraying them with insecticide and wiping them up, doesnt keep them from reappearing. It's maddening.