Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Construction Error and trip hazard

Posted by redeye2010 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 11:17

I completed a family room addition to our home a couple of years ago. We asked the contractor to make a half step down to the room from the adjoining dining room. When done and the hardwood floor laid, the "step" ended up being about 2 inches, just enough to trip over coming in and going out. I have had several contractors look at it but no good ideas yet. Currently, we have installed some small LED lights under the lip of the "step" so when leaving the family room you see the step, at night anyhow. Coming into the room you can't see the step. My guests have nearly fallen before and I am constantly having to warn them to watch their step. -- Short of making the contractor start over, I am at a loss. Ideas??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Construction Error and trip hazard

Not enough info. I understand it's covered in hard woods but what is underneath? Concete, wood framing? The answer to that would determine which way to go as far as removal or modification.

o

Could you have a 'ramp' installed instead, with a very gradual slope, and a railing alongside? I think that would be safer, and probably the least expensive option.

o

The family room floor is above a basement room built at the same time. There is a poured foundation and then wood framing on top of that supporting the floor. Tearing it out isn't an option. The opening between the dining area and the family room was once a double sliding door to the old deck so the doorway where this "step" is is very wide.

I thought about the ramp idea as well but then you would have to come out too far into the room plus the ramp itself would present its own hazards.

Keep thinking, I appreciate your ideas!

o

Raise the entire floor and make it level. Why a half step in the first place?

o

The half step down was the spouses idea, what can I say?

o

Build another floor on top of the existing one and make it level with the doorway. Use spacers to elevate the new floor. The new floor will need a subfloor (on top of the spacers) similar to the existing floor.

o

Could you change the color of the flooring to a different hardwood stain so there's a strip about 4" alerting guests to a difference in levels? Or change out the flooring altogether in one of the rooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here