Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting cat urine smell out of carpet...

Posted by nadastimer (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 02 at 10:49

What's the best way? Or what's the best thing to make our living room smell good again? We rent from my father. When we moved in here the place had a smell because the previous tenant lived here 7 years and had 2 dogs and a cat that were in the house all the time and she also smoked. The carpet really needed replacing then and that was 2 years ago. My father wants to replace it but doesn't have the fiances now. I believe the previous tenants cat peed on the carpet and then ours started, too also. Over the past two years we've caught the cats going numerous times. We've tried lots of stuff and I was wondering if anyone here had experiences with this and what you did.

~Leslie~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting cat urine smell out of carpet...

There is something called Nature's Miracle that really takes out smells. You will need a lot of it, but it works.

Fireraven9
"Don't go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

o

Where can I find Nature's Miracle at? I've read posts before at the Pet forum mentioning that and also something else but haven't been able to find them in the stores in my area. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

~Leslie~

o

You should be able to get Nature's Miracle at any pet store. I use it as my dog loves to go in the dining room. It doesn't really seem to stop her from doing it but at least it helps to remove the stain and odor. Have you tried shampooing the carpet? This should help with the worst of the odors until new carpet can be installed. If you still have a problem with carpet odors try sprinkling Arm & Hammer Pet Fresh before every time you vacuum. This is great also for getting rid of those carpet odors....

o

I am a LL and have been fighting this fight for 16 years. None of the enzyme products works for any length of time on cat urine. Even the professionals - when they are being honest will admit that the most that they can do is make it smell better temporarily, but it will return. Usually the urine has soaked through the carpet, pad and subfloor. When we have this problem with a tenant - we have no choice but to replace the carpet, pad, sand the subfloor, bleach it and seal it. That also includes moldings in the areas where the transgressions occurred. We have tried just about every product out there - including the one mentioned above - with no success. Dog urine is another story and is more easily mitigated - but cats - watch out!!

o

I agree with Rosie. We had a less severe problem than you describe. Unforturnately, you are wasting your time and money trying to get it out. We removed the carpet and had the hardwood floors sanded and refinished. Of course we had to replace several stained boards. But no more problems, the cats have been "good" so far with the area rugs! Good luck, Steve

o

As I said in a previous post, try a product called "ODO-BAN". This stuff is just great for removing odors of all kinds. It is really good and it is cheap..Buy it at Sam`s for about six bucks a gallon.

o

Once the odor is that deep into the carpeting, it is there permanently. You can dump what ever you want on it, it's not going away. The reason is that when the animal urine is fresh, there's no odor, believe it or not. Many times the homeowner doesn't even know that the animal has picked out an area and is staining it, until he discovers a wet spot. However, over time the moisture evaporates and leaves the urea which crystalizes within the carpet fiber, and bacteria start to grow. That's when the stink starts. People apply these products on a fresh stain and think it has removed it. The fact is, if you have a stinky stain several weeks old and apply these things, they will fail like everything else. In northern winter the odor isn't so bad because of less humidity, but on a hot, humid summer day the odor comes back with a vengence.
The carpet should be ripped out. It is never going to be free of odor, and it's just not a healthy situation for people to live in.

o

Urine is organic and requires an enzyme digester cleaner like the pet mess cleaners from the pet store or Nature's Miracle or Odor Ban from Sam's Club. The cleaners must be given time to digest the stain and odor. The challenge with carpeting is the padding beneath. While carpet can be cleaned and deodorized, the padding and subfloor beneath have been contaminated. Attempts to allow enzyme cleaners to settle into padding and subfloor tend to result in overwetting and mold/mildew problems if the affected areas remain wet for 24-48 hours. There are many forum posts that report ripping out carpet and pad and sealing the subfloor with at least two coats of sealer before reinstalling new floor covering.

I recently moved into a rental with 25 year old carpet and previous renters had pets. I had the carpet cleaned, disinfected, and deodorized. Every day when I return from work, I mist the carpet with Odor Ban. Either I am getting adjusted to the odor or the Odor Ban may be helping, but the odor does not seem as bad. I am however considering purchasing an ozone machine to purify the air. The manufacturer's of ozone machines claim that the ozone will reach areas that we can not clean. Because this is a rental and because I can not afford to replace the carpet, I must live with it.

o

Well after much complaining and all from both my fiance' and I, we've decided that since he's getting a good pay check from OT this week....we're getting new carpet! He originally wanted to rip up all the subfloor and redo it but once he realized the cost in all the wood...he was a little cranky. I then suggested putting a sealer on the subfloor to seal the cat urine and whatever smell in and he thought that wouldn't work. But I swore that others on these forums have done so and it did the trick so he's happy with the idea. We're going to rip up the carpet and padding and seal and then get new padding and carpet. He's already said that he does not care if we have to live with plywood floors for a week or two until we get the carpet down, he's just so tired of it. The carpet desperatly needed taken out when we moved in here 2 years ago and after many many promises from my father, our landlord, that we're getting new soon, we've decided to take matters in our own hands. The good thing, also, is that a friend of ours works with his family laying carpet professionally and already volunteered to help when we discussed it years ago. So I guess my father will not be seeing the rent check because we're going to start doing the repairs that he's too overwhelmed to do himself.

~Leslie~

o

Twelvepole,
I have 2 cats that have a BAD habit of missing the catbox!!!
Everytime my daughter-in-law came over she could smell it and would always comment on the smell no matter what I did to rid the house of the odor. 3 weeks ago I purchased an Ozone machine. MY HOUSE SMELLS WONDERFUL!!!!! She came over this past weekend and the first thing out of her mouth was YOUR HOUSE SMELLS SOOOO CLEAN!!! Did you get rid of the cats? The only thing different was the ozone machine, the cats are still missing the catbox but the house smells wonderful. If anyone is interested in getting one...just email me & I will give you the info. I don't know if I can post the info here. Oh yeah...it only costs $349.00 much cheaper than carpeting!!!!
Hope this info helps someone out there
Cherie

o

Folks, I repeat: one of the major components causing foul odors is the growth of bacteria in the carpeting/padding, along with the urea chrystallization itself. This is not healthy to live with. Want to live in a catbox? Walk through kitty's catbox in your bare feet, or your let your kids play in the catbox? I don't think so. Perfumes, deodorizers, enzymes, and ozone misters are maskers and only cover the problem. They are not making your home sanitary. The only way to truly deodorize a foul odor IS TO REMOVE THE SOURCE. If you don't believe me, don't use them for 2 days and your nose will wrinkle, especially on hot, humid summer days.
nadastimer, you are right - subfloor odors can be sealed with two coats of oil modified polyurethane. Check your baseboards, also; male cats have a habit of spraying them to mark territory. In this case, repaint or revarnish.

o
RE: Getting cat urine smell out of carpet...IMPOSSIBLE!

Nothing absolutely works at removing cat urine smell from carpeting...I've tried every product known to man , spent a ton of money, and although some did get most of the strong smell out, none got all the smell out. Your best bet would be to remove the carpeting/padding and replace with new, making sure the urine didn't soak the sub-flooring. If it did, then you have a major problem. If the cat urinates all over the house, then find out why he/she is doing it by taking it to ta vet, and if nothing comes back wrong, give the cat away. No sense living in a house with a cat that urinates everywhere.

o

We do plan to remove the carpet and fixing the problem. There is nothing wrong with my cats and I am not getting rid of them. These cats only started peeing to mark their territory because the cats we had before did and they did it because the woman who rented the trailer for 7 years prior to us moving in had cats and dogs in here, too. The place smelled when we moved in of musty smoke and dogs and cat urine. My father swore we would be replacing the carpeting but other things always come up and it hasn't happened. This is why we're taking care of it ourselves.

Ranchhand,
Can you just cover the areas where the cats went? Like if there are maybe two spots on the floor, wouldn't it be smarter to cover those and a little more area with a few coats of sealer than to use how many cans of sealer painting the entire floor? We thought that we may just do that once the floor is up and we see what we have to deal with.

o

Actually, polyurethane floor finish goes down very easily, and coverage on the average should be at least 400 sq. ft. /gal. The first coat may sink in a little more so the coverage may be slightly less. Yes, you could hit only the spots the animals hit, but my thought is that as long as you have moved everything, made time in your schedule, etc. you are not really saving anything. It's really not a big job; you aren't sanding, preparing like a finished floor or anything, so it won't take much time at all. And the combination of uniformity, a "new" smell everywhere, and new floor covering will (hopefully) persuade your pets that there is no need to stake out territory anymore. At least, we can hope.

IF you have the time, when the carpeting is removed, take raw bleach and wet the stain spots first. Have to let it dry couple of days, though. Then apply your two coats.

I hope things work out for you!

o

My cat had a little "issue" with the corner of the living room last year. I tried Odo Ban, Nature's Miractle, and Oxiclean but none worked. Out of desparation, I dumped a 5 lb box of baking soda on the spot and let it sit for about 2 months (no joking, I just left the baking soda there for that long). Then I had the carpet cleaned by Masterclean (they do a great job). Even with record heat in Ohio this summer, we haven't had any smell. If you truely can't afford to get new carpet, try massive amounts of baking soda left on for a really long time.

Ranchand, I will grant you that it's not the most sanitary solution, but DH has been out of work for 7 months, so for us right now it's truely impossible to rip everything out and get new.

o

Yeah, I know... it's easy for me to give advice on a forum, but there are a lot of circumstances out there, and I know a lot of people are out of work through no fault of their own. Sorry - I didn't mean to offend anyone.

o

I'm trying that baking soda idea...we'll see if that works. I've begun to get estimates for total carpet/pad replacement in case it fails like all the others...

o

My daughter and her husband are looking at buying a townhouse where a cat peed on the basement carpet. They will ask for a carpet allowance to replace the damaged carpet. What should they do for the concrete? I would think that the spot should be washed and sealed before putting down new carpet. Any ideas?

o

I have tried everything..... literally. I found that the best solution (and the most cost effective @ .79/qt) is to soak the area with hydrogen peroxide. Test for colorfast first although I have never have it take the color out of anything and I used it on carpeting and upholstery without any problem.

o

I have a cat that is the love of my 2 children's life but is ruinning mine. He was a perfect cat for the first 6 months and then I had him fixed and declawed (don't think I will do that again). It is custom to leave newspaper in the litter for 5 days but I left it in for 6 days so his paws would not get infected, like one of our cats in the past. That 1 extra day has changed my life the way I know it.
He uses the litter but also will pee on my children's clothes when they are on the floor. There is also a possibility he is peeing directly on the floor but it's hard to tell even with a black light.
There is not a room in the house he has not touched. I have had mild asthma in the past but now it's a big issue. I've tried to give the cat to close friends but who would take him, I'm not one to lie. Getting rid of the cat-not an option at this point. He is a great cat in all other ways.
Does anyone know what primer is the most effective on subflooring? I am thinking about putting a pergo type of fooring down. Does anyone have advice on how to sand the subflooring? HELP!!! Just don't know what to do?
ssbolts

o

Wow! Another old thread resurrected. ssbolts2: Have you had your cat tested for a urinary tract infection? It is very possible that that is at the root of the problem. I wouldn't suspecct that one more day of newspaper would make the difference.

Very often a cat with a UTI urinates inappropriately. If that's the problem, getting that cleared up could be the answer. It's worth a try!

o

suzieque-thank you.

When this first started I took him in to the Vets and no UTI. About 9mo ago I was really fed up so I brought him in again. He did have a UTI. He was put on antibiotics. Our Vet was not optimistic saying at this point it was probably a behavior problem.
The problem persisted. I was wondering how he could change when the entire house had been "blessed by him" for lack of a better word. I'm just beside myself........

This morning I woke up and my asthma was so bad. I had to do something. I decided this would be the day I would start him on Buspirone, 5mg the Vet gave me 9mo. ago. I feel so quilty!!!
I have made a little haven in my room for him - of all places - which is really the best place because I don't want him to have the run of the house but I don't want to lock him in the bathroom either. Last time I tried that he started to get a bit blump.

o

I seem to be having the same issue that a lot of you have had. I have a cat that had a UTI and had surgery to have the stones removed that the UTI caused. Before the surgery she was urnating in several spots in my apartment. I thought she had stopped after the surgery but as my nose quickly realized that is not the case. I live in a 2 story town home and when you walk in the door that is all you can smell. Ripping up the carpet is not an option for a renter such as myself, I have read your attmepts and I was just wondering if there is an expert out there or if some one could point me as to which option to use first???? I dont want to have to put her down but my asthma and sense of smell cannot handle that.

o

lexusandmercedes-
Please don't put her down. My asthma is extremly bad but there is a hugh possiblity that both cats just don't like our life styles. We might just be the wrong match.

This happens. My closest girlfriend had a friend that worked at a vet. She knew my friend was looking for a cat. A man had come to the vets and asked that his cat be put down. The man had 3 other cats and this one was not using the litter box.

When my girlfriend and her husband got to the vet their friend lead them to a room. On the metal table was a beautful black cat. My girlfriend's husband took one look and said we'll take her. They took a chance on this cat who was ready to be put down. The cat has been with them for 14 years and not once has missed the litter box. She is the most wonderful cat.

So it would be awful for your cat to be denied a chance like this cat got. My big problem is my little girl who is in love with ours.

There are lots of rescue groups out there. I would put the emphasis on your asthma more than I would the peeing.

o

I'm having a hard time finding where my cat has urinated . I have narrowed it down to one room. I've tried using a black light but it doesn't work.

o

I'm not here often but my friend is all the time. She referred me to this page. I sympathize/empathize with you all. My cat started spraying just after I got my computer; was jealous. I had him checked by the vet, had professional carpet cleaners, tried every product mentioned here (except the baking soda, that's next). The cleaners lifted the carpet up in the most offending area and sprayed the floor with Kilz. Unfortunately they didn't do a rrally thorough job of it. I have one portion of the dry wall that needs replacing because it wicked up. I even tried surgery which was to cut the muscles so he couldn't turn it up but that didn't last either. Finally after about 10 years of this I finally had him put down. He was really destroying things. You can only replace so much but when it comes to the walls too, I just couldn't handle it any more. Nature's Miracle didn't work. Enzymes didn't work. One of the products said to really soak the carpet and leave it there for a long period of time and cover it with paper towels and re-wet them as needed. That was when i called the carpet cleaners as it started to mold after following the directions. I had a TV installed a few months ago and they were scheduled to come back with some corrected parts for the TV stand and refused to come back because that was a very offending corner.This was very hurtful and embarrassing. They wouldn't even do it when I promised to cover the area with plastic.You can only do so much.DO REPLACE THE CARPET AND THE PAD and seal the floor and whatever else needs sealing.

o

I did not read all of the posts but I have had experience here and found the best and only solution.

Rip out the carpet and pad. If the subfloor is plywood, rip it out too as it is impregnated with the urine too. If concrete, clean with some heavy cleaners and dust with baking soda and let sit for a few days. B/T the baking soda and the lime in the concrete itself, the smell should go away.

I have used about every ordor eliminator product out there and the results range from useless to a cover up smell that turns the urine smell from just urine to a sickeningly sweet urine smell (it was horrible).

SORRY I couldn't be of more help and good luck!

o

I have read with great interest as I have 8 cats. 4 never go outside 2 are indoor/outdoor and 2 never come inside. If the urine is a problem that your cat did not start then the best solution is replacing the carpet and pad just make sure to bleach the subfloor. This does not have to be full strenght but 2 parts water to one part bleech. If your cat started the behavior then either the cat is angery, or in pain ( cats will purr when in pain). If this is the case behavior modification is needed also. I tried the various medications but found they did not work, like people each cat is different. Try a second litter box. I found that my 4 indoor cats always seem to be in same room I am and a second litter box stopped the problem before it started. My two outside cats, one never liked anyone but me and was happiest outdoors the second one is a male that was the original offener. He is never allowed in the house, but I set up the garage for the two complete with a tent like structure, heater when it is cold, litter box etc. I live where the coyotes roam, so these two are only let out of the garage when I am home. I have trained them to come in at a set time (feeding time, before dark about ).This has allowed me to keep the cats and keep them safe. Make sure the litter boxes are cleaned daily of the solid waste, cats hate dirty litter boxes and will not use them. I empty litter and all about once a week and clean the box ( not with bleach as bleach smells like urine to a cat.)It will take patience to train, but well worth the effort. I now have a clean , fresh smelling home and devote littel time to upkeep.

o

Like many others there, I have had a problem with my cat urinating on the carpet. I have had my cat for 12 or 13 years with no problem. All of a sudden, he decided to start urinating in certain areas of the house. I took him to the vet several times finally finding out that his kidneys were starting to fail. We tried medication and moving the litter box to those areas he liked to go, with no avail. The last straw was when he urinated on our bed. I could tell that he couldn't help it. Unfortunately, putting him down was the only option. By this time, all of our carpet was ruined.

I have tried many of those urine removal products too but none of them work. Last night, I pulled up most of the carpet and can tell you with strong certainty that once a cat urinates on a carpet, it will always be there. There is no magic solution to the problem. The only thing that can be done is replace all of the affected carpet, padding, and seal your floors. I was lucky in the respect that we live in a slab house (no basement) and all of the areas were on concrete flooring. This makes it easy to seal as no sanding is needed. The carpet people are due tomorrow morning and I hope this will mark the end of the cat pee saga. There is only one thing Im uncertain about. Two of the baseboards seem to have absorbed some of the cat urine. I will try to clean and reseal these also but I have a feeling they will likely need replacedjust like everything else up to this point.

o

I have one even better than just cat urine....I brought all my plants in for the winter and my innocent little one kindly dumped 4 of them while I was out of town for the weekend and decided THAT was her new litter box. She went in 4 different places which made mud out of the potting soil. When I tried to clean it up, it spread the mud around the carpet. Therefore I borrowed a carpet cleaner from a friend and that got the stain up, but now I have to wait for the carpet to dry to get the smell out....and from reading your forum, this isn't likely to happen.

I am a single mother waiting tables at a local restaraunt and definitely cannot afford new carpet! There isn't ANYTHING out there that can take the smell out other than that??

o

You may be OK, Kista. The smell is unfixable when it gets past the carpet into the pad (and subfloor). But yours was in dirt first, so less of it may have soaked through. Also, yours is fresh and you know exactly where it is. You might be able to get it all with the carpet cleaner.

It may turn out awful, but maybe not!

If the spots are near the edge, you may be able to pull up the carpet and clean it, the pad, and the floor from the back side, and then scrunch it back into place when dried.

o

I've had numerous cats in my home for years. There are several tips to keep them on target with their potty habits. First, keep their potty pan clean, empty it daily and put in fresh liter.
2. Male and female cats spray-spraying and potting are 2 different things-- even after nuturing and spaying.
3. Some cats, male and female, will always spray--not potty and may need to find a new home or stay outside.
4. WHITE VINEGAR is a great deterent, watch your cat or other cats and they will find the spot that is "marked"--this is the spot where they make the mess.
5. When you find the spot they are marking wipe it off with a combination of white vingar and water, set out a bowl of vinegar near the spot. Protect the spot so they can't keep using it.
6. Try the vinegar, straight or diluted, on your carpet, if it needs replacing the vinger will not harm it any more than it already is. Scrub and clean the carpet and cover it with towels to absorb moisture, may take several times but will be less expensive than replacing the carpet. Don't let the cat near the spot!
7. I've had cats potty in the bath tub and the white vinegar stops it.

a cat lover

o

Gotta chime in here... before my wife and i were married she had 2 cats - before she moved in... both males...one young one old. after moving in the young cat was a terror. it was newly fixed and still spraying.... it pooped where it wanted, peed where it wanted. i threw away a lot of my stuff that was peed on.

luckily it was confined to downstairs, and only once on carpet...a lot was on concrete in the basement which we got out with straight bleach.

it also loved to pee in the drains...gross.

the cat is now gone to a new home...i think having 2 males wasnt good... thank god its gone...i was ripping my hair out.

i am a dog person. i love my stupid sloth of a dog....he farts, snorts, slobbers, and is a big dumb moose...

but - and this may offend some people but i am sorry - my dog doesnt pee and poop in a box, drag his feet through it, then run and jump on our bed!

i am so sick of picking cat litter out of the bed....it is everywhere - frikkin gross!!! there are pebbles of cat litter everywhere!!

there has to be something to elimnate that nastyness...

o

I think I may have found the holy grail!! My cat whom I now call piddle for obvious reason pees everywhere. He peed on our brand new chaise lounge in our bedroom, if he only understood all the stuff that I was yelling at him about, lol.

Anyway, so I went to our local FEED store to buy some stuff and found this product, it's called UNIQUE pet odor remover. I followed the direction but the odor was still there, so I tripled the concentrated amount and the smell was gone! I poured the mix directly on the sofa and let it dry on its own.

Try it and let me know if it works for you guys as well. It also works great on our carpet. I also use this product when I'm steam cleaning the carpet, smells nice!

Msjam

Here is a link that might be useful: Unique

o

I recently had success with this, & hiring someone to clean the carpet will not work. To get the odor out you need to spend a long time, which a "professional carpet cleaner" is definitely not going to do. It took me 4 hours to clean a 4 ft square area. I cleaned the carpet with a strong concentrated commercial bathroom cleaner, & then used a commercial carpet cleaner. The brand I used was Ajax, which I believe has gone out of business. Then I used a commercial ozone generator. The cleaning cut the odor & the ozone generator makes it livable. I do not believe in using an ozone generator to clean a dirty place - within the next month, the carpet will be replaced. You have to remove the source. Otherwise, it keeps coming back. I turn the ozone generator off & a slight smell comes back. Carpet deodorizers help, but do not solve the problem. Also, ozone generators if not used properly can have adverse effects. I agree with the people above that you have to get rid of the carpet, & do something if not isolate the pet. That stuff gets in your lungs.
I am helping an 80 year old lady get rid of a bad carpet smell today from her dog. She is sick & wheezing, & I will insist on dong this only until she gets the carpet replaced. I dread it, because the smell makes me sick to even go in the room. I may try the chlorine mix today, even though the carpet is dark, since it is destroyed anyway. Baking soda is also very practical & cheap. I can already tell without the ozone generator, the smell will continue. I would not recommend using one unless she replaces the carpet first.
I also found she has some gerbera daisies which absorb ammonia. I will try putting some in her room although they may be overwhelmed by it. The spider plant also absorbs formaldehyde, which carpet can put out. These are not "cures" for a dirty place, but air cleaning plants can help.
I do not believe you need all these expensive pet cleaners. Save the money for a new carpet/ proper repair &/or some way to isolate or treat the pet.

o

Is there a way to get the smell out w/o taking out the carpet and subfloors? Our landlord expressed some trepidation regarding getting a pet at first because he said he had some previous tenants who didn't take care of their pets. He said he'd let us because he thought we were good tenants.

We rescued the cat from an adoption center. The cat was abandoned by its previous owners and left in a foreclosed house for no one really knows how long, and we've really fallen in love with her.

We can't afford to rip out the carpet, but if we come to the landlord to get the maintenance guys to take care of it, we're afraid he'd ask us to get rid of the cat.

The pet stain seems pretty fresh, the carpet was still wet when we found it, but the room reeks. We just don't want it to get into the floor below the carpet.

Please excuse the scatter-brained nature of this post, it was 2:30 a.m. when I decided to google this problem and I was lead to this forum.

o

This is what I did to get rid of cat urine smell in my new apartment.

Step one: buy baking soda and vinegar from your local grocery store.

Step two: Fill up a bucket of hot water and mix it with white vinegar. For a 5 gallon bucket i would say 50% water 25% Vinegar. Now poor that over the urinated spot where your F***ing cat took a piss. Let it sit for a few minutes.

Step three: Now you are going to take the baking soda and sprinkle it on top of the wet spot and watch it bake your carpet.

Step four: Now take a scrub and scrub the sh*t out of that carpet.

Step five: Now let it sit for 24 hours or more. Why? Because you need to let that sh*t soak through your carpet and padding. It will take a few tries to get it down right but it will work.

Step six: Get rid of your cat!

o

After reading every single posting, yours is the best idea, however, I just finished step 2 and I'm praying this works. I don't care if I have to buy every bottle of vinegar and every box of baking soda in the store. If this does it, I will be ever-so-grateful.

o

The only thing I would add is to use a wet-dry shop vac to remove any remaining cleanup stuff from the carpet and pad after 24 hours.

If you use a crevice tool (and yes you have to go back and forth with that little tool) and a reasonably powerful shop vac it will pull most of any remaining liquid out.

For fresh pee, the enzyme things work pretty well if you soak the area, wait a little while, soak with plain water, then vacuum up the moisture with a shop vac.

You are doing about what a hot water carpet cleaner does.
Wet it, then pull the water out.

o

Our vet suggested my 13 year old cat is unable to get to the box on time since he was peeing (and pooping) in different areas and not just one or two spots. I bought him new boxes for the bathrooms and we keep the bedroom doors shut now so he doesnt wander in there and forget he has to pee...lol. What has worked for me is peroxide in a spray bottle but I use that immediately after I see my old cat mark an area and follow up with rubbing the area with an orange but you could probably use that 'orange clean" stuff. Just spray the wall and floor of the marked area and let it set then what I do is use a hair dryer to dry the spot up. This works best on a freshly marked area. I have only lived in my new home 6 months and he just recently over the last 3 weeks started marking so I don't know about the nasty old soaked in smells other than replacing carpet with wood, tile or pergo. Don't put rugs down cause kitty will eventually mark those.
We have noticed once or twice that ammonia smell on clothes, towels or stuffed animals that were left on the floor, so first thing was to correct our habit of leaving things like this on the floor. I also don't have any rugs down in the bathroom or kitchen. Anyway, I just a 1/2 cup of vinegar in the wash and double up on the fabric sheets in the dryer.

o

I get Nature's Miracle at PetSmart. I buy the gallon size, and always look for coupons. I have also found that they carry it in the cat and dog dept, but for some reason, it's cheaper in the dog section. Same exact product. I can usually get a gallon for about $30.00 and use it in a spray bottle. It works. I now have two cats, one sprays occasionally, but before my 3rd cat passed, she peed on everything all the time. I also use a Little Green Machine and Feliway (get it on EBay about half price) and my house smells pretty good. Good luck.

o
acidophilus for getting cat urine smell out of carpet...

After realizing that even Nature's Miracle doesn't really work, I tried acidophilus powder. I twisted open the capsules and sprinkled the powder over the area, and then patted it with my hand to get it down in there.

Now I buy the loose powder. ALERT: Any pro-biotic powder with chlorophyll/grass ingredients will be a disaster. Use ONLY the room-temp stable white powder. The good bacteria eats the bad bacteria that creates the stink of dried cat pee.

o
For ALL bad smells in flooring, walls, basements, cars, etc.....

I have read most of the messages. My husband & I purchased a home where the basement had appearantly b een used as a personal restroom to several small dogs. We have three large dogs & two cats, so this had to be taken care of ASAP! We tried all of the JUNK at the pet stores (before & after we had new carpet installed)... natures miracle, odoban, oxy orange clean, etc. NONE of them worked. Finally, after extensive internet searching; we found a product that actually worked as it said it would... AMAZINGLY, SKOE10X! I have become a fan of this stuff for life now. Mix it according to the directions & it is THE BEST stuff & only thing that does what it says it will do. It is a lil' pricey, but less then what you all have already most likely spent on other cleaners, subfloor, carpeting, padding, base boards, primer, & contractors! I probably sound like a comemrcial for this stuff, but I am telling you... IT REALLY WORKS! :)

o

We've had pretty good luck with Anti-Icky Poo. I recommended it to a friend who had tried everything, and it took the smell and the stains from old markings. It's best to soak the spots so the pad and subfloor are also treated. Use a black light to find the spots, so you only treat where needed. You can get gallon sizes online, e.g. on Amazon.com.

o

Now I know why I don't have cats. I always thought it was because they ignored me when I wanted to play and wouldn't leave me alone when I didn't. LOL

o

I skimmed thru the 48 posts looking for some sort of new technology for this age old problem...my conclusion...if your cat pee's; you are screwed...love cats but I can smell them as soon as I enter a home that has one....none for me thanks!

o

I have two cats who are very good at getting stuck in rooms and having accidents. I find one of the best solutions after soaking up the pee is using metholated spirits sprayed onto the carpet and then after 5 mins pad it up with paper towels. You may need to repeat. The alchohol kills bacteria which causes the smell. it seems to work for me. And the carpet is fine to. Obviously the sooner you can get to it the better. And I'd rather the smell of metho over cat pee. Pitty the same can't be said in relation to a wet dinner jacket. (wah wah waahhh) and we have been told by guests that our house surprisingly does not smell like a cattery.

o

The original Nature's Miracle formula was pulled by the manufacturer and another formula was adopted by the Nature's Miracle people for the product. Their revision simply doesn't work as well.

The original formula is now marketed on the Internet as Petastic by the manufacturer, Petastic. We have used it for years. It removes all odors of both cat and dog urine and feces. We apply it directly on the area as and also put it in our carpet cleaner 50/50 with the cleaning liquid. Extremely effective. I don't have any financial interest in Petastic, but I do own two 100 pound labs whose owners are happier with a supply of Petastic around.... If you opt to get this product, buying 2 one gallon bottles saves you in shipping costs.

o

hi I need some help I have a spayed 7 year old female cat, in the past few months she had started peeing in the corners of our stairs
her little box is cleaned several times a day
I am at a loss as to why she is doing this I try & get to the opps as soon as I notice it but am not always home
funny thing is she is still useing her litter box as well she will pee & poop in the box but she will pee on the stairs too I refuse to have a house that smells like cat pee so I need to fix this asap any thoughts would be great also the best way to clean up the pee right now I have been useing evens amounts of white vinger & water putting this on the spots & asorbing it up with towels than making a mix of hydroproxide & baking soda in to a goop & cleaning the spot with this please help me thanks
Kathy

o

Ok, so I am renting a 6 bedroom, 7 bathroom house from a family who is trying to sell it. We have a cat who seemed to be really good about using her liter box. Yesterday, I went to the other end of the house than the side we live on to do some cleaning. Went to a bedroom closet and thought I was going to be sick from the smell of cat urine that had been there for who knows how long. Oh yeah, and there is a huge Open House starting tomorrow! So I was desperate to at least hide the smell. I had a little carpet cleaner so I shampooed the carpet 3 times. It got most of the smell out but you could still smell it. Out of desperation and only $6 in my pocket, I drove to Dollar General and looked for ANYTHING that would help. I found for $1.50 a product called Love My Carpet and got the Parden my Pets kind. So far it has really worked!!! I know it may not work long term, but if you need at least a quick short-term fix for something like that, it has helped tremendously!

o

My mom passed away and I am dealing with this in her house. She had the same problem at another house and we had to get the floor refinished and everything, but she brought the furniture with her and I think there was a slight odor remaining from cats spraying so it happened again.

I did not even notice it while she was there- once the air conditioner was off and the house was sitting wow. It hits you like a ton of bricks. I ripped up the corner of the carpet and it is in a section of the floor underneath, and yesterday I think I smelled it in the bedroom so that might be next. Already spent $250 in carpet cleaning and super concentrated odor remover.

This is so awful. I had a cat doing this once and had to let her go live outside at a relative's house in the country. I have learned that more than one cat in a household is a mix for disaster. They get jealous and territorial and next thing you know you have cat pee.

I want to know if anyone has tried an ozone machine to treat the house- not low level but high level treatment for a few hours. I was thinking of renting one to help get the odor out of the house. I know the carpet has to go and the subfloor in the bad area, but the lingering odor in the walls and furniture? Would an ozone machine help?

o

I bought a used wicker dresser from a home with 9 cats.
The following recipe worked wonders after experimenting with several different products:
1 qt hydrogen peroxide (3%)
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tsp dishsoap

Drench the area, or in my case I mixed this solution in a tub and dunked the wicker drawers into the solution. Let sit for about 5-15 minuets. Rinse and Rinse and Rinse. This is the only thing that worked after trying Natures Miracle advanced formula just for cats, Clorox bleach, ammonia, vinegar and plain hydrogen peroxide.

o

We dealt with this same problem after one of our cats died and the other became extremely territorial. She is a spayed, 11 pound female, so it's not always boys. She marked almost every carpeted corner available to her over a period of months, but sneakily, most heavily in rooms that were unused to the point where the walls turned yellow and the baseboard started to separate... It was bad.

I have tried enzymatic cleaners like Natures Miracle in their oxy and citrus flavors and the Rug Doctor pet odor spray. I soaked the carpet made sure to cover it with plastic to help it stay wet longer because I read enzymatic cleaners need moisture to work. This lightened the stains on the walls but did not make much dent in the smell. I'd say less than 10%. Temporarily, they do seem to work but if your carpets are really bad it always comes back.

I also rented a Rug Doctor machine and used their pet solution to heavily clean the soiled areas, disregarding the instructions about over-wetting/working the carpet. Beware: If your floor is uneven, or the carpet is being marked everyday to saturation, the pee will spread! We had dark carpet so the stains weren't apparent, but you can tell where it travels when the solution that gets sucked out turns orange-brown and reeks of piss.

I rented this machine three times over a period of weeks (to let the carpet dry out) and while it worked a lot better than the sprays, the diminishing returns and still noticeable urine smell made it not worth it. I'd say it reduced the smell 50%, but it cost me $50 a day to rent it.

I've also tried the white vinegar, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide treatments. This works to a point if the stains are not too bad and you use a lot. It will make your house smell really strange for a few weeks after and doesn't do anything for stains, except that the hydrogen peroxide may bleach some types of carpet. So test first!

In the end we decided to rip out the carpet. This was the right decision because when it was pulled up it STUNK. Obviously, the things I had done did not make a huge dent in the smell and the stains were visible underneath. We are having our padding replaced as well as the drywall which had wicked up the urine and was holding it like a sponge. Finally, we are sealing our subfloor with concrete sealer just to be sure. New carpet is so expensive we just wanted to know that the smell was dead-dead and never coming back. Fingers crossed, the new carpet arrives next week.

Moral of the story: Clean up urine RIGHT AWAY and get the cat out ASAP. It will destroy your carpet if you don't -- right down to the padding. I've even heard of it seeping into wood flooring and damaging that to the point where it needs to be replaced.

We felt sorry for ours and kept her inside while we looked for a no-kill rescue to take her only to find out that literally no one will take a cat with bathroom issues. We really didn't want to put her outside because of the traffic and concerns about neighbors and wildlife, but we had to and she's adapted very well. She was very skittish beforehand and now she is outgoing and seems much happier. She's even losing weight! We tried Feliway, behaviorists, and were down to cat Prozac before we decided enough was enough.

o

I have this nightmare going on as well. My cat peed in our bedroom closet. The smell is unreal. I have used every product out there and some home remedies as well. It seems like it works and then any slight humidity. BAM! No such luck. Im really upset because the carpet is fairly new. I'm pretty sure we have to tear out the carpet in the closet. Its a walk in and pretty good size. Since the carpet in the bedroom is in perfect condition I think our only option is to put hardwood flooring in the closet. I wonder if that will look weird.

o

I found Nature's Miracle worked ok, but if it's cat pee of any magnitude, new carpet.

When carpet is out, treat subfloor with Kilz. It's very effective at sealing odours, they use it for fire/flood restoration.

You could apply it to walls and ceilings too, for cigarette smoke residue.

o

We own a rental house and had to evict our last tenant... needless to say their cat urinated all over the house, in particular the carpet in the den. We used SCOE 10X because we tried all the other options that we found online and SCOE10X was the only one that worked.

Here is a link that might be useful: SCOE 10X

o

I came across this after typing fixing your carpet after a cat pees in Google. I wanted to share this with everyone. let me also say I have never posted anything on a blog, but I want to share my experience with everyone. So, when my Grandma passed, we inherited her cat. Because of her age, they would sometimes shut the door where the box was and the cat developed a bad habit of going in the corner, etc. When we got him, he was fine, until he got a UTI, which I took him to the vet and treated. Problem was after that, he continued peeing. I gave him to my mom and she keeps him a one room and he is fine there. But guess who has about 8 spots on my living room carpet? I have treated these with everything. Stanley Steemer, Nature's Miracle or the like, which only leaves it masked with a mix of urine/enzyme and makes your carpet sticky, vinegar (OMG, don't do that, your house smells like a pickle for DAYS! and you still smell urine after when putting your nose to it). Let me explain. My carpet is a really nice quality and the rooms all connect, so I really can't get rid of it. They changed the formulation on my fibers and even if I did, it won't match the rest. With that said, if you came into my house, you wouldn't smell cat pee, but I can and it drives me insane. Not to mention it being unsanitary. so my Mom told me about a product she saw at like a home trade show called NuKleen www.nukleeninc.com. The guy does a demo with pure ammonia in a cup and sprays this organic odor spray in the cup and it removes the ammonia. I am telling you, IT HAS COMPLETELY REMOVED OLD URINE STAINS AND ODORS - COMPLETEY UNDETECTABLE. I AM NOT LYING! I AM SO PLEASED AND COMPLETELY ASTOUNDED. Here is what I wound up doing to fix this problem. We ripped up the carpet carefully and removed the padding. Bleaced the subfloor and painted it with Kilz. We probably didn't need to do the Kilz, because the bleach worked, but as long as we're doing this project, do it right. We get new padding tomorrow. Then I bought this product. There's a cleaner and also and odor remover. You have to buy both. It is a two step process and it takes time. I've been working on the areas for 2 nights now (after work) but it is totally worth it. So I am cleaning my carpet right down to the fibers and the spots I have done so far, are now dry, and there is no scent whatsoever. Smells like any other part of carpet never been peed on. I think this product is like the SCOE10X others mentioned. It's all natural, they use the odor product for animals when they get skunked. If you are willing to take the time to do this like I did, and the elbow grease to do the steps necessary in order, you will be so happy. I am so excited that I will have Christmas, people can be on my carpet opening gifts and my carpet will be clean like it was new. Please please, try this if you want to salvage your carpet. You will be so happy.

o

I always prefer to take help from professional rug cleaner to get rid of such smells; even the worst type of stains and spots will likely be removed. It saves my time and effort as well.

o

Can anyone tell me if vinegar works well enough to mask the smell for humans?

We may have had an accident area as it doesnt smell all that fresh. I recently bought a home carpet cleaner machine, and tried it with just water, some stinky stuff came out!

But I know all ive done is rinse it out. now i need to get the odor out.

But really, all i care about is just getting it so that humans cant smell it. I dont even mind maintainence cleaning or spraying vinegar every day. essentially i just dont want the people i live with finding out about it.

Ive also since added cat attract to their litter, which if our house was a line, the boxes are located before the problem rug. it seems to be helping any future things happening. between that and cleaning them out everyday seems to be doing the trick. Im considering even adding a 3rd box (2 cats).

the carpet is an area rug with no underpadding, and its on a concrete floor. but the carpet is BLACK so i cant use bleach on it or anything else that will discolour. vinegar and baking soda together is a huge no no. its also too big to fit in the washer and dryer. was also considering trying the baking soda alone and then clean it up with my machine after, or even just regular vacuum. But id rather try vinegar first, since i already know that wont discolour the carpet.

any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

o

I need help.

I've used Natures Miracle in the past quite successfully. Just soak and lather, wait til it dries, and the smell is gone.

I found a new cat spot on the wall/carpet, so I cleaned that area, and also while I was at it I re-cleaned a spot nearby that I had already fairly successfully cleaned with Nature's Miracle last year.

Within a day, the entire area around both spots started to smell like Feces. I've never encountered this before.

I've kept the cats out of the area, it's not something they did. Somehow the entire carpet within a 3 foot radius around the relatively small spot I treated how not attained a very strong cat-poop like odor.

What could be causing this? Like I said, one area I had already cleaned before with natures miracle and this never happened. The spot was only about 4 x 10 inches along the wall. How could the smell of cat urine get replaced with the smell of cat feces over a 9 square foot area after this new application?

I'm assuming it's some kind of either off-gassing or bacteria that's fill up the carpet area with this smell. The urine remover I assume should kill bacteria, but that worries me if suddenly due to the wetness the carpet started breeding bacteria after I cleaned it?

It does seem to follow air currents. parts of the carpert that were blocked by other furniture or things don't have any smell. It is only the carpet that would follow the natural flow of air out from the area that seems to have attained this smell, which means me think it's some kind of off-gassing from the original area. But the depth and amplitude of the smell is amazing for that.

My thoughts are either to try another round of enzyme cleaner (possibly a different brand, having read that natures miracle actually changed formulas a few years ago, which could explain the difference in performance).

Or to try a hydrogen peroxide round.

Or maybe I just have to wait longer until the miracle is completely dried out which could take a week? I did read somewhere that the odor can persist until it is completely dry, which can take a while due to poor air circulation under the carpet.

Or trying some kind of baking soda and vacuming, or something.

Any ideas on what happened and how to fix it? Honestly the smell of cat urine was fairly contained and weak. But the entire lower level of the house now wreaks like mad of feces-smell caused by whatever happened when I applied nature's miracle. It's unbreathable anywhere in this level.

o

Surely there has to be a product that can soak down to the base of the carpet and disinfect the odour...

This post was edited by mIchae1 on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 10:07

o

I often read online forums like this one when I need help with something, but I NEVER post to them until now. The vinegar/baking soda/peroxide formula works. We got new carpet in the bedrooms almost four years ago, when our son was still an infant. As soon as the cat started sharpening her claws on it and swiping at the baby, we had her de-clawed. Then she started peeing on the carpet in his room only. Mostly in front of the closet and under his crib. The stench was awful and I ended up buying a carpet shampooer to get everything out. But she was sneaky about it, and sometimes I wouldn't notice what she had done until I stepped In a wet spot. Needless to say, I have spent loads of money trying to get the stink out. There was always a faint urine smell in his room. My son developed asthma by the time he was a year. He got allergy tested at 4 years old and we found out he has a very strong allergy to cats, which is a major contributor to asthma. He will start allergy shots in a couple of months. Once we found out about the allergy, we found a new, loving home for the cat. Even after her being gone for several months, a friend of mine mentioned the smell. That was it. I was determined. I read this forum and considered new carpet, but it's not that old, is in otherwise good condition, and I didn't want to through the expense and hassle of new carpet. So I poured a gallon of solution comprised of half vinegar and half hot water on a spot just outside his closet door. I pretty much flooded that part of the floor, and was so nervous. Then I scrubbed the crap out of it with baking soda and peroxide. I let it sit, then vacuumed up the excess liquid with the shampooer. I didn't go out far enough the first time, because I still smelled it and located the guilty remaining area (that damn cat). So I did the same thing to a neighboring spot, and I immediately noticed the urine smell was replaced by a clean, slightly antiseptic smell. Thank god!

The cleaning process was quick. But I did this during the humid and rainy springtime, and it took close to two weeks to dry completely. I waited to post this to see if the smell would return, but it's gone.

I will be using this cleaning formula all over my house. I have used the vinegar spray cleaner to cleanse my kitchen and bathroom areas (http://www.heloise.com/hints.html), so I already knew of some of those benefits, but this cinched everything for me. It's powerful, Eco-friendly, and safe to use near my children. Don't bother with cleaners that offer empty promises, and definitely try this before replacing your carpet. Use a shampooer or wet-dry vac to get up the excess liquid.

o

I just moved, and the previous tenant had cats and also smoked the; odors were throughout the house. The landlord compensated me for repainting all the interior walls, I added the Air-ReNu paint additive that a friend recommended and thankfully, the house stays smelling clean and fresh. One application works continuously and will last for 10-12 years.

o

Well, I had a cat pee thru a mat in my basement...it soaked into a spot on the concrete floor. I threw the mat away and tried the vinegar/baking soda/peroxide mix...3 times over 3 days. It failed to work. Next I tried full strength simple green. The smell was not noticeable till I got on my knees then POOF...it almost knocked me over. Finally I carefully poured some full strength bleach. I did this two or 3 times. Last I smelled the odor was gone but I wont be convinced until it gets humid down there. Oh yea...tried natures miracle too...no dice!

o

Nice comprehensive explanation.
from http://catcentric.org/care-and-health/removing-cat-urine/

''Cat urine is composed of:
• Urea
• Urobilin/Urobilinogin
• Uric Acid
• Sodium
• Other electrolytes
• Creatinine
• Pheromones
• Bacteria typically 5 different strains.

When cat urine dries, the urea is broken down by the bacteria. This is what makes it smell like ammonia. As it decomposes further, it releases thiols that make the odor worse. (It is the thiols in skunk spray that make it SO potent and difficult to remove).

The urea and urobilin/urobilinogin are not hard to clean. Urea, urobilin/urobilinogin, creatinine and the pheromones are water soluble (urobilin is the pigment that causes the color). Traditional household or carpet cleaners will deal with these, and this is why hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, and/or baking soda also appear (initially) to be effective at eliminating the problem. But the problem has not been solved! Uric acid and its salts have been left behind. Uric acid is not water soluble and bonds tightly to whatever surface it touches.

Due to the uric acid component of cat urine, cat pee has a half-life of six years.

This is why it is absolutely essential to use a cleaner that can break down the uric acid. Soap, vinegar, baking soda, ammonia, chlorine, and hydrogen peroxide (to name the most common cleaners) simply are not chemically capable of breaking down the uric acid in cat pee. These cleaners and deodorizers only temporarily make the smell go away and appear to work because they do clean up the other components of the cat urine. But when exposed to humidity, the uric acid salts cause the uric acid crystals to reform. This process releases the smell again; not always at levels detectable to the human nose, but the cats’ more sensitive noses can smell it. And the scent of their urine outside of the litter box encourages many cats to continue urinating outside of the box, often with their families left scratching their heads wondering why.

The only thing that will break down the uric acid to permanently remove the smell is an enzyme cleaner. The enzymes break down uric acid into carbon dioxide and ammonia, both gasses that then easily evaporate. This is why it is also essential to allow the enzyme cleaner to air dry. It needs the “natural” drying time to break down the uric acid salts, allowing the resulting gases to evaporate.

Not all enzyme cleaners are equally effective. Good enzyme cleaners are typically a bit more expensive. Cheap ones will work, but need to be reapplied over and over (and probably end up costing as much as the more expensive enzyme cleaners). Enzyme cleaners this author is aware of that work well and reliably include Nok Out, Urine Off, and Anti-Icky Poo.

Of course any cleaner needs to be used properly. Most enzyme cleaners come in a spray bottle. This is deceptive, because just spraying a light layer of enzyme cleaner over a urine stain will not result in complete cleaning of that spot. Cat pee wicks, and unless the enzyme cleaner completely envelopes all of the cat pee, even it won’t work. “Spraying” doesn’t work. Dousing, pouring, and soaking are required when cleaning up cat urine.

To properly use an enzyme cleaner on a fresh stain:
1. Blot up as much of the urine as you can before applying anything.
2. Soak the affected area with the enzyme cleaner.
3. Let the enzyme cleaner sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Blot up as much of the enzyme cleaner as possible.
5. Leave the enzyme cleaner to air dry.

Covering the area loosely with something is always a good idea. This will not only help prevent the cat from attempting to pee on the same spot while the enzyme cleaner does its work; it will stop family members from stepping or sitting on the wet spot. Some people lay aluminum foil down over the area; other recommendations include an upside down laundry basket or an aluminum baking sheet.

The same basic procedures apply for an old stain. But be aware that an old stain may require two or three full cycles of enzyme cleaner application (allowing it to completely dry between applications) in order to completely clean the stain.''

The article goes on to explain how to remove odors from furniture & bedding.

Here is a link that might be useful: why cat urine odor so difficult to remove

o

Tear out the carpet.
Tear out the pad.
Check out the situation, you may have to tear out the subfloor.
Clean. Seal. Do not buy new wall to wall carpet, buy hard flooring that is waterproof on top, and get small area rugs of the rational priced variety, not a $20,000 hand knotted silk.

Just because you love your cats and dogs does not make you or them immune from blips in their psyches or their illness/infections creating the urge to pee, now or in the future, and especially when they are senior. Set them, and your house, up for success.

o

interesting...I currently have the cats banished to the 3 season room where the one continues to pee. (and yes he's been to the vet, had food altered, different litter, 2 boxes etc etc. Bottom line..he's an ass!

I have had no ro real luck with the cleaners. I am not saying they won't work in certain situations but if there was a simple guaranteed method...a product or products would be available and well known. You would not have to seek them out. I just don't think the answer is that simple with cat urine.

Yes the total rip out will work...but how many times must one do that.

Sure a sick cat can have an accident...or old age can contribute...but then there are also those cats who are just...well...&@!holes and like to spray. I have yet to find a solution to deal with these beasties!

o

Check with your vet. Years ago I got an odor neutralizer from my vet and it was amazing. When I cleaned the carpet I dumped a whole bottle in the water used to clean the carpet. Sorry I don't know the name of it but the carpets came out fresh and clean and it cleaned the urine and feces odor (we had an old paralyzed dog).

o

I have two cats who both pee on the rugs. They're healthy and they do it....because they can. Because they like to. That is all I can figure. I have tried everything.

Recently, instead of trying to fight Mother Nature, I am just trying to work with it. I've set up rugs in a bathroom ( they get the whole bathroom) and I try to get them to pee on those throw rugs. Then I take a trip to the laundromat to wash them. They still stray onto other rugs, but this way " most" of it is contained.

If I were smarter I would try to develop/invent/patent something for problem cats who like to pee on rugs. Build something that would attract them to pee on that area. My next move is to put a rug in a contained cat box ( looks like furniture on the outside -- ordered it from amazon) and have a washable rug on the inside.

I'd get rid of the cats ( or put them down) but my daughter, an only child, adores them. They're beautiful ragdolls but......I don't know if their brains have been breeded out of them...or if they ate lead when they were younger..... . One is snuggled next to me as I type, purring, happy as can be. Meanwhile I just put puppy pads under my front wool rug so her urine doesn't soak into the floor.

It is awful. No sugar coating it..

o

You can bleach and seal a concrete subfloor also. I lived in a townhome with cheap carpeting over an unsealed subfloor. It was terrible. I had mold problems and asthma. I was using a nebulizer four times daily and the highest dose of Advair and still couldn't breathe downstairs with the windows closed. I ran two hepa air cleaners upstairs and kept the windows open nearly all the time.

Since I moved over a year ago (moved twice, long story) I have been able to stop taking my asthma medicine. If your home is making you sick, try to fix the problem or move any way you can. You will be happier and healthier in the long run.

My cat died earlier this summer. I miss her, but not dealing with the litter box. Luckily, she was very good with her box. I don't have garbage service here, so if I got another cat I would have to consider burnable or biodegradable litter. The previous tenants had a cat. They dumped the litter outside. It was hidden under leaves. What a nice surprise - not.

I am happy with my dog. He is sniffing round one room. I don't smell anything, thank goodness, but I think I will try ODO bam in that room for good measure. I already shampooed the new carpets to get rid of the new carpet smell. I won't complain, beats the smell you are dealing with.

o

When my husband bought an older home it had pet urine everywhere. Our cat was also marking which she has never done in our 2 previous homes but there was a wild cat marking our house on the outside. We tried everything and one day by accident I happened upon a Product called SCOE10X by a Company called BioFOG, Inc. their Contach Information is Phone 678-648-4015 or www.SCOE10X.com. I am not trying to sell nor do I work for the Company. I am a housewife and an animal lover and got tired of hearing my husband scream, yell, complain which was stressing me out with my chronic health issues. We also tried the stuff that the Cat Daddy is Linked to (he does not sell it) and that did not work either. We used it on our Oriental Rug and it was not as soft as it was before but it did not even make the dye run together & did not take out all the stains but did take out all the urine smells. The Company also has a trial offer and if it does not do what it says it will do they will refund your money, no questions asked. We have already ordered refills. I wished we had this product 17 years ago when we got our Cat for the constant vomiting she did and for the Dog vomit as well. Amazing Product for odor control, did not take out the very old stains.

o

For all of you cat owners out there whose cats don't use the box -- you have got to get Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. It has changed our life. We inherited my mother-in-law's cat and love her dearly but in cleaning out Mom's house realized the cat had been peeing everywhere, and she did it in our house, too. I was crazed trying to clean carpets and get the smell out -- tried all the things mentioned, in addition to Febreze, which does seem to help. I don't work for the litter company, so this is a totally unsolicited endorsement. It works like magic, immediately. I promise. Expensive -- $15 a bag, but so worth it.

o

Three weeks and counting! The smell is completely gone from the carpeted bedroom. Cat pee was nearly 6 months old. I pulled up the carpet and wiped down the plastic coated stainmaster pad that is below the carpet with a vinegar/water solution. Then I applied a bottle of BoosterZ Simple Solution Stain and Odor Remover that I bought at Walmart to the backside of the carpet. I left it in the carpet and never removed it! It has worked totally! 100% satisfied at three weeks! I hope you try it! And no, I don't work for any company, so I am not trying to sell this product. I hope you are successful too!

o

I hear people going around and around on this, but I believe most homes with this problem can be improved, and most carpet can be saved, without needing replacement.

We are a family of pet lovers. Depending on how many of our adult kids are living in our house, we have up to 7 small lap dogs and 2 cats at a time. No matter how hard people try to take care of their pets, accidents happen, and if someone goes on vacation for a week, the change in the care schedule ensures that some pets are going to leave major odor problems behind.

So here is a solution that I have found, that works for us:

Step One. Get an easy to use carpet cleaning machine. Bissel and others make 'upright' machines that look like upright vacuum cleaners. You can get them at Walmart and other places, but you will need to get SOME type of carpet cleaner machine and be ready to use it. Machines that are easier to us, and don't require a major project to get set up, are preferred.

Step Two. Pre-treat any stained areas with a very dilute soap and water solution. Don't use much soap at all, since it is a stain magnet once it dries. I also don't generally use soap in my carpet machines, but you can use a good commercial carpet soap if you insist. DO make sure to dilute it out by at least double what the instructions say. Once you pretreat with this, let it sit for an hour or so, then go on to Step three, below.

Step Three. Mix vinegar in a proportion of about 1 to 4 with water, and spray the carpet with this, until the carpet is fairly well moistened, or use it in the carpet cleaner machine. Let it sit for an hour or so, then suck it back up with your carpet cleaner machine. We live in a dry climate, so this helps. In more humid areas, you will probably need to buy some large fans to use on the floor to help it dry. A major part of pet odor is ammonia from urea/uric acid, and the vinegar helps neutralize this.

Step Four. After your carpet is dry, generally on another day, sprinkle it fairly liberally with baking soda. Let the baking soda sit for a day or so, then vacuum it up as much as possible, After you vacuum it up, put water or water with a very dilute vinegar solution or use an extremely dilute chlorox solution. Be careful, since chlorox can bleach clothes and carpet, so you probably want to pretest it on a small, hidden area, and make sure it is very dilute. Use one of these, or water, in your carpet machine and go over the carpet with this, to help remove the baking soda. Let it dry.

Step Five. Get an enzymatic cleaner, such as Nature's Miracle or one of the others. Spray this on the floor, or use it in your carpet machine, but don't suck it right back up. Moisten the floor fairly well, again, and let it sit for two hours. Then, using your carpet machine to suck it back up and let the floor dry, with fans to help move air and help it dry.

As you can see, cleaning the odor from a carpet takes several treatments over multiple days. Commercial carpet cleaning services probably can't do this job well enough, because they don't use enough steps or time. This is why a machine that is easy to use is important. The upright carpet cleaning machines aren't much harder to use than a good vacuuming. If one treatment, as above, isn't enough, then repeat the whole cycle again.

o

Wow, this is a really old thread.

I purchased a townhouse three years ago. The living room is all tile, but the staircase is covered in dirty carpet. I had carpet cleaner cleaned the stairs and it looked great temporary, but then the same stains came back because whatever that was in the padding stained the carpet again. Fast forward 2 years, my cat started to urinate on the stairs, it coincided with my bathroom remodel, perhaps it was marking its territory because contractors were going in and out of the house? I had professional came to clean again. He used lots of neutralizer and made it look good for a short period of time, but the old stain came back, and the cat continue to pee on the floor since the smell is still here.

As many people suggested, to truly remedy the problem you have to rip off the carpet and padding, clean the floor underneath. I had a floor installer came out to look at the stairs and gave me an estimate. I was shocked at the lack of professionalism. The guy simply left without saying a word, instead he emailed me and said he can not work on urine stained carpet and I should call Service Master to have it cleaned first. That seems like a ridiculous demand to have the carpet cleaned so he can rip it out and put it in the dumpster. Is there some kind of health department law that I am unaware of? Is this normal behavior? He must only work for rich people who have money to burn and want to replace perfectly good floor because of color and style.

o

Wow, this is a really old thread.

I purchased a townhouse three years ago. The living room is all tile, but the staircase is covered in dirty carpet. I had carpet cleaner cleaned the stairs and it looked great temporary, but then the same stains came back because whatever that was in the padding stained the carpet again. Fast forward 2 years, my cat started to urinate on the stairs, it coincided with my bathroom remodel, perhaps it was marking its territory because contractors were going in and out of the house? I had professional came to clean again. He used lots of neutralizer and made it look good for a short period of time, but the old stain came back, and the cat continue to pee on the floor since the smell is still here.

As many people suggested, to truly remedy the problem you have to rip off the carpet and padding, clean the floor underneath. I had a floor installer came out to look at the stairs and gave me an estimate. I was shocked at the lack of professionalism. The guy simply left without saying a word, instead he emailed me and said he can not work on urine stained carpet and I should call Service Master to have it cleaned first. That seems like a ridiculous demand to have the carpet cleaned so he can rip it out and put it in the dumpster. Is there some kind of health department law that I am unaware of? Is this normal behavior? He must only work for rich people who have money to burn and want to replace perfectly good floor because of color and style.

o

Getting cat urine out of carpet can be quite involved. I have spent 43 years in the technical functions of carpet manufacturing and this has been a topic of discussion forever.

Important issues are how much, how deep and what is underneath. A few "accidents" can be dealt with using readily available commercial products. Before beginning, locate the affected areas by darkening the room and using a UV (black) light. Urine will glow (fluoresce) a light green color. You will be surprised at all the other "stuff" that shows up under the UV.

Situations where urine is deposited in the same place repeatedly are much more involved. When the pad is involved, it is often cheaper to simply remove and replace it (pad is not nearly as expensive as carpet). The underlying floor is a challenge. Failure to deal with the urine soaked wood or concrete will result in a room that will forever have a background odor even after carpet and pad are replaced. Since there are a lot of posts dealing with successful remediation of urine in the carpet, I will deal with the floor underneath.

Commercial carpet cleaners may used enzyme-based products that "digest" the stinky material; unfortunately, these don't have much long-term effect.

One product I have used with success is hydrogen peroxide - you can use the 3% drug store stuff, but you will need to pour it on until the fizzing stops, which could be days. It is an oxidizer, like chlorine bleach, but it doesn't smell bad, will not damage carpet, and there is no residue that must be removed - hydrogen peroxide breaks down into oxygen and water.

Stronger peroxide solutions are available that must be purchased from a commercial chemical company; 30% is most common. It requires careful handling, safety precautions and some understanding of chemistry, but it works, and it works very well.

One situation where the concrete slab emitted odor so strong it caused eyes to water, showed no odor whatsoever 2 hours after applying 30% peroxide diluted with half water and sprayed onto the concrete until the fizzing ceased.

Rubber gloves, eye protection and a mask are essential. If you are apprehensive in the least with this, hire a carpet cleaner to do the job. He can obtain the peroxide in the necessary strength. He is also unlikely to have used this technique, as they receive most of their training from distributors who sell them supplies. Peroxide is cheap, much less expensive than the other concoctions, so it is not pushed in the marketplace.

If all else fails, give this a try.

o

Just a very short post reflecting a different view.

Compassionate people do no de-claw, do not return cats to shelters, do not put them out in the street, do not otherwise 'get rid of them'

There's an element of group-think going on here and it's unnerving, get your priorities straight, an odorous carpet does not come before a life in the general scheme of things. I hope you have the capacity to feel shame.

Amanda

o

gosh, such a long threads T___T all I want to know is there any method except Natural Miracle = .=

I'm trying baking soda now. hope it help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here