Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzywuzzer

cat pee in crawl space is stinking up the house

fuzzywuzzer
16 years ago

Grosss! Now that the humid weather is here, our house is being filled with cat pee smell! We had an impossible time all winter keeping our cat out of the crawl space, which he loved to use as his litter box. Now the smell is in the basement laundry room and is seeping up to the first floor and coming thru the A/C ducts (furnace is in the crawl space). It is only the first of June and it will be hot until Nov. OMG!

Fuzzy

Comments (9)

• lucy
    16 years ago

If you can access the space, get some Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner. It's not just a cleaner but actually 'removes' the odor causing bacteria, etc. and the smells... really amazing (and no, I have no personal stake, but have found out about it on cat forums. I'll be using it when we leave our present house before showing the house.

• User
    16 years ago

I know what you are going through...my cat used to use my floor ducts as his personal toilet. I couldn't blame him too much, since there was a faint cat litter odor from the garage getting into the ducts. I used Nature's Miracle too-I dumped quarts of it right down the ducts. It did help.

You really need to close off the crawlspace completely though because it is the nature of a cat to keep doing annoying things like that.

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link, Thatgirl! My daughter is raising a goat for FFA to show at the county fair this summer. It is housed at the school with numerous other goats and boy oh boy is it getting smelly!

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

"We had an impossible time all winter keeping our cat out of the crawl space, which he loved to use as his litter box."

We used to have a problem with stray cats going potty in our flower beds. We sprinkled black pepper in and around them. Alot cheaper to use than those expensive sprays they sell at the pet stores.

• fuzzywuzzer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will try them all.

Fuzzy

• PRO
    Paint n’Paper by Dorothy
    6 years ago

I also have a “senior “ HUNTING cat- who always killed mice & moles in the crawl space of our old lake house.. she refuses litter box & ALWAYS went out w/the DOGS ( thru dog door) to do her “business “ in the woods.. now that she is older: I notice a SMELL in my bas meant laundry.. checking all ways to deal w/this ISSUE!

• Izzy Mn
    6 years ago

I've heard that Simple Green and Odoban works well too. Besides pepper used as a detergent cayenne pepper sprinkled around works too.

• handmethathammer
    6 years ago

Have you considered putting a litter box in the crawl space?