Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cat pee in crawl space is stinking up the house

Posted by fuzzywuzzer (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 9:40

Grosss! Now that the humid weather is here, our house is being filled with cat pee smell! We had an impossible time all winter keeping our cat out of the crawl space, which he loved to use as his litter box. Now the smell is in the basement laundry room and is seeping up to the first floor and coming thru the A/C ducts (furnace is in the crawl space). It is only the first of June and it will be hot until Nov. OMG!

Fuzzy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cat pee in crawl space is stinking up the house

If you can access the space, get some Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner. It's not just a cleaner but actually 'removes' the odor causing bacteria, etc. and the smells... really amazing (and no, I have no personal stake, but have found out about it on cat forums. I'll be using it when we leave our present house before showing the house.

o

I know what you are going through...my cat used to use my floor ducts as his personal toilet. I couldn't blame him too much, since there was a faint cat litter odor from the garage getting into the ducts. I used Nature's Miracle too-I dumped quarts of it right down the ducts. It did help.

You really need to close off the crawlspace completely though because it is the nature of a cat to keep doing annoying things like that.

o

Having dealt with cat pee I know it's REALLY annoying and very difficult to get rid of 100%. Natures Miracle is ok, but I have found that the Natures Miracle specifically for cats is even better.

Another option you might try is something called Sweet PDZ. It's used in horse stalls to keep the horse pee smell down. I use it in my back yard to keep the smell of dog pee away. I can buy a 25lb bag of it for $8 or so. It's supposed to work well on cat pee too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet PDZ

o

Thanks for the link, Thatgirl! My daughter is raising a goat for FFA to show at the county fair this summer. It is housed at the school with numerous other goats and boy oh boy is it getting smelly!

o

"We had an impossible time all winter keeping our cat out of the crawl space, which he loved to use as his litter box."

We used to have a problem with stray cats going potty in our flower beds. We sprinkled black pepper in and around them. Alot cheaper to use than those expensive sprays they sell at the pet stores.

o

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will try them all.

Fuzzy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here