Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandmum_gw

Change Locks - Son Is Paranoid

grandmum
10 years ago

My Son went to a 10 minute oil change place and while in a hurry left his house key on the ring with his car key while his oil was changed.

He now fears one of the workers may have copied the house key or made an impression of the key while he was waiting and may have gotten his address off the registration in the glove box or ran his plates to find out where he lives.

He is contemplating changing the locks on his house.

Do you think this is paranoid, unnecessary worrying and wasted money? He wont listen to his father and I so perhaps you can shed some light......

Comments (17)

• christopherh
    10 years ago

If he feels better, let him go to the costs of doing it. Especially if he lives in an area where this has happened before.

Which reminds me, I have to find the front door key. I haven't used it in so long I really don't know where it is as nobody locks their doors around here.

• texasredhead
    10 years ago

Some time back our neighborhood lost power for several hours when a power pole was snaped by an errant driver.. When various neighbors returned from where ever they could't get in their homes because garage doorss would not open and they didn't carry front door keys. It is very rare for a burgler to use a copied key. They usualy kick down a door or go through a window.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

I don't know why you'd expect a son who's old enough to have his own house to necessarily "listen" to what his parents tell him to do. Why try? (Unless he's developmentally or otherwise disabled in some way)

It sounds like he may need to learn to feel more comfortable with everyday events that shouldn't trigger anxiety feelings. Try helping him work on that. You'll be more likely to be successful if you approach it without it sounding like you're telling him what to do.

• sameboat
    10 years ago

If I thought someone might have copied my keys, I would certainly have the locks changed. Wouldn't you rather he be safe than sorry? I would just do it and not give it another thought.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I agree with sameboat. If it helps him sleep better at night then he should do it. It shouldn't cost that much to bring in a locksmith and have the locks reset. No need to go and buy all new locks.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

My comment was directed at what seemed to be described as a parent trying to treat an adult progeny as if they were still a young child, and a person freaking out (with an overactive imagination) over a normal, everyday event. What's next, disinfecting the keys when you get them back because someone else touched them? Better safe than sorry?

Nope. If you spent every day looking for "better safe than sorry" alternatives to take, you'd have time for little else.

Unless you have an extreme alarm system and bars over windows and doors, assume that even an inexperienced burglar can easily enter your house at any time. Few burglars use keys, they're not needed. Changing the locks is unnecessary and a false security

• dreamgarden
    10 years ago

In this day and age, it might be prudent to just change the locks for the peace of mind.

• toxcrusadr
    10 years ago

Most people are honest or at least are not ready to commit criminal acts. The chance of a quick lube employee doing that is about the same as the chance of a random burglar kicking in the door or breaking a window. I myself wouldn't worry about it.

Every time you use your credit card, numerous people have access to the number. And yet, somehow, fraud is fairly rare.

• dreamgarden
    10 years ago

"Most people are honest or at least are not ready to commit criminal acts."

Tell that to the FTC. If your wise. you won't leave ANYTHING in your car when its being serviced. Especially your keys, GPS or car reg.

"FTC Releases Top 10 Complaint Categories for 2012

Identity Theft Tops List for 13th Consecutive Year in Report of National Consumer Complaints"

A link that might be useful:

ftc.gov/opa/2013/02/sentineltop.shtm

• texasredhead
    10 years ago

I basically carry two sets of keys. One for having my car serviced, valet parking, etc. My other set has our house key and the various plastic shopping cards that are used in the grocery store, etc. It is virtually impossible to have a key made from a wax impression but a lot of car dealers can duplicate keys. A reputable locksmith will question a wax impression of a key, the question being if a wax impression could be made why didn't you bring in the actual key for duplication.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    10 years ago

Rather than replacing the locks, rekey kits are available at most home centers and hardware stores. It's not that complicated if one has some mechanical aptitude and patience.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"Do you think this is paranoid, unnecessary worrying and wasted money? "

Absolutely. In fact, I'd keep an eye on this kid.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    10 years ago

not nearly enough information:

is your son usually reliable, trustworthy, observant, sensible? is basing his consideration on intuition (a form of observation governed by the non-verbal side of our brains) a bad feeling, or 'just' that he 'broke' the habit of segregating his keys?

is the quickie-lube place somewhere you have patronized before? is it local? is it reputable? as clean as such a place can be?

is he capable of changing the locks or rekeying them himself, or is he going to pay for the locksmith...or is he bullying you about it?

these are questions I would want answers to, before commenting

• dkenny
    10 years ago

simple answer..
    change one lock on each door..

then 2 keys are needed..

the easy rekey locks are good for this..kwiklock rekey..for example..

fyi...
    the locks keep the honest people out..
    a couple of hundred pound of dead weight against any lock..the lock
    door jamb looses..yes even with 3" screws..

sorry but I repaired many a broken lock..door jamb..dead bolt..yes some by police..you should see the damage to the locks..they cause.

-dkenny

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    10 years ago

Rekeying a lock is a simple job for a locksmith, and even Home Depot or Lowes can do it for the brands they sell. I bought some new locks this week at Home Depot and they rekeyed them for free to match my existing locks. It took the guy about 5 minutes for each cylinder.

If he feels uncomfortable/unsecure, then let him do whatever he wants.

Bruce

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    10 years ago

Rekeying a lock is a simple job for a locksmith, and even Home Depot or Lowes can do it for the brands they sell. I bought some new locks this week at Home Depot and they rekeyed them for free to match my existing locks. It took the guy about 5 minutes for each cylinder.

If he feels uncomfortable/unsecure, then let him do whatever he wants.

Bruce

• jackieblue
    10 years ago

It would seem that if the son has his own house, his own money, and is an adult, he should be able to change the locks in his home if he wishes. Regardless of the reason or whether his parents agree.