Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small flying bugs - What are they?

Posted by helios26 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 7:51

Recently I've seen this bugs fly around in my home office while I'm working at night. They don't seem to appear during the day, but when I'm working late during the night (1am - 4am), they start to appear.

I think they're attracted to the lights and computer monitors.

This gave me an idea, and I got a plastic bowl, filled it with water/soap and shined a light down into it. This immediately got the attention of the bugs and I created a small little death trap.

Does anybody know what these are? If you look real close, they have strips of black and yellow across their back.

Picture attached:
http://i.imgur.com/tHptIfk.jpg?1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small flying bugs - What are they?

looks like a type of fruit or vinegar fly. To help get rid of them, get some water, vinegar, and a bit of dishsoap in a bowl. By by flies. Do you have any bananas around? They also live in drains. Put som sticky tape over the sink drain and see if you catch any. If so, flush it with very hot water, the pour ammonia in and let it set overnight.

o
RE: Small flying bugs - What are they?

Thank you for your advise! I actually do have bananas in my pantry... I will have to get rid of them for now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here