Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mia__gw

Advice needed...NOISY, inconsiderate neighbors next door.

Mia_
15 years ago

My neighborhood was a quiet place to live until a loud family moved into the house next to mine about two months ago. They are renters, and their landlord doesn't seem like the type that would get involved in doing something to stop any problems. When the new neighbors are not home, all is peaceful in the neighborhood once again.

Right from day one, these neighbors have been inconsiderate. My house is only about 12 feet away from their house, so we are close to each other. On the first night they moved in, a man (the husband?) stood on his front lawn from 10:45 PM to 11:15 PM talking on his cell phone like it's the middle of the day. The next night, from 1:45 AM to a bit after 2 AM, a man was hammering and drilling the bedroom walls that directly face my bedroom walls, and this woke me up...he couldn't wait until normal waking hours to install drapes. The next night someone was hammmering for a while after 10 PM. Okay, so I thought, maybe they don't realize that I can hear the loud hammering after hours or maybe they don't care. Hopefully, they'll get all settled in and things should be good, right? Wrong! Oh, one night at 12 AM, their visitors just had to beep the car horn while leaving.

The family who lives there consists of 6 people total: parents, 3 girls and a teenage son. Plus, they have people visiting at times, so there's more kids.

One afternoon, I heard a male voice outside, and when I looked out the window, I saw a man (the husband?) leaning over my front yard stockade fence with his arms hanging over my side of the fence while he talked on his cell phone...nice.

They blast heavy Rap music for a few (more or less) hours at a time on some days (not every day), and the stereo seems to be in one of the bedrooms that is next to my bedrooms. I am the only neighbor affected by the music because of the location of their stereo close to my house. The music fills my bedrooms and is very annoying. One morning, the blasting music woke me up at 8:30 AM and continued off and on until about 12:30 PM.

Several days a week, the 3 girls (and sometimes a kid that visits) ride and race up and down the street and circle around and around on their bikes for a good 4 to 5 hours or so straight, all the while screaming and squealing their heads off. They scream and scream and scream NONSTOP. The noise is insane, and even when they are not on their bikes just standing next to each other, every word has to be shouted. When the girls are inside the house, I can hear their loud voices through my bedroom walls.

I have seen one or more of the girls walk on the front of my property a few times and ride a bike up the curb and onto the very front of my lawn near the street. One of the girls sometimes rides alongside my stockade fence in their yard, and I have a foot of property that I own on their side of the fence so we can maintain the fence (I'm worried about possible damage to my fence and lawn). They have gone on other neighbor's yards. They cut through my neighbor's yard...none of the other kids in the neighborhood do this. One of my neighbors had to tell them to get off her property.

Oh, where are the parents? Nobody hardly ever sees them outside watching the girls. The parents seem oblivious and they obviously don't mind their girls screaming constantly for hours on end ruining the peace and quiet and taking over the street.

If a dog was constantly barking for one hour straight, some people would call the police because that is a nuisance. But what do you do when it's 3 girls taking over the street with their bikes, racing up and down the street and circling around and around while constantly screaming, hooting, and hollering for 4 to 5 hours straight? Plus, add the blasting Rap music into the mix. I know kids will be kids, but I have never experienced kids behaving like this.

This noise is interfering with the enjoyment of my home. I can hear them over my TV (I shouldn't have to keep a TV on to try to block out their yelling). I shouldn't have to close my bedroom doors to block out the noise (rap music and screams) from entering other areas of my house. I shouldn't have to close all my windows on a beautiful day to reduce the noise.

Please offer up any advice as to what to do about this situation. I would pay them to move away. And I'm not looking forward to when school is out for the summer. If you have experienced a similar situation, please feel free to share it with me.

Comments (50)

• bus_driver
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There are no easy, convenient solutions to this problem. But the only sensible first step is to talk with one of the adults, preferably the "head of the household", and calmly tell them about the things that bother you. However they respond, listen to them as attentively as you wish to them to listen to you. And they will respond! If they respond in anger, just keep quiet until they "get winded". And then "parrot" back the most ridiculous things they said while angry, so that they will hear it again. But they may respond somewhat positively. Right now, your perception is that things were perfect before. These people have moved in and things are not perfect anymore. No matter what, things will be different so long as those people are there. Maybe a sensible conversation can make them somewhat better than they are at this moment.

• lumper20
    15 years ago

Renters and Tenant Buyers can sometimes push a neighbor or beighbors to their linits. You say they are renters, so; I assume there is an owner of the property. I would contact the owner, if you cannot reason with these neighbors. How can the property owner do anything if no one tells him or her the problem(s).

• kec01
    15 years ago

We lived across the street from noise renters and we were in a town that had noise ordinances. When there were problems, we called the police and gave as much detail as possible. The police didn't come out all the time, but there did quite frequently. Their appearance helped tremendously. Other neighbors also called.

Surely, the home on the other side of this one has had problems. Touch base with them and see if they'd side with you.

• Mia_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My neighborhood was not perfect before this family moved in, but it was a good neighborhood where people were considerate of each other (except for one neighbor who moved, but she doesn't compare in any way or form to the new family), and there were never any kids that screamed and hooted for hours on end and took over the street.

From what I've witnessed so far with the parents, they don't seem like people who care about being considerate. It's ususally one of the parents who blasts the rap music, because all their kids are at school when the music blasts. The parents were outside in the front yard with their company, and their girls and the other kids visiting them were all over the street doing the screaming/hollering bit, and the parents did nothing but encourage the behavior. It was a small circus. How did the girls learn that it's okay to behave the way they do? The other kids in the neighborhood aren't like this. From my experience, considerate neighbors typically don't act like this. They don't even respect their "rented" lawn, as the girls ride their bikes on it.

So the problems are not a once every now and then issue (I could deal with that, and I wouldn't be here writing this); rather, the nuisance happens several days a week for hours at a time.

I don't know the neighbors who live in the house on the other side of this family, but I'll consider finding out their thoughts on the situation. Another neighbor on the street feels that the girls are a nuisance, so I'm not the only one annoyed.

What stinks is that a complaint (either talking to the parents or landlord or cops) may lead to the problems worsening or never improving. Sad to say the cops here don't tend to take noise complaints seriously, even though there is a noise ordinance.

• moonshadow
    15 years ago

Pardon the length, mia, some tips based on my experience and perspective.

How can the property owner do anything if no one tells him or her the problem(s).

I am so glad you said that! I had renters in one house that by all accounts were OK, no notable trouble for me as a landlord. But apparently the ruckus they were causing in the neighborhood (loud parties, music, lots of 'outdoor' noise into the wee hours) was driving several adjacent neighbors batty. Only when tenants moved out and we spent a month doing upgrades at the house did I learn from various neighbors everything that went on into the wee hours, and I was shocked! I had no idea. (But then I didn't go by the house at midnight or later, never had a reason to). I most certainly would have had a talk with my tenants. I put a clause in my leases (these are houses, not apartments) that they will abide by civil codes (trash, noise) and not disturb the quiet enjoyment of others. If problems became serious enough to warrant police intervention for noise, or had persisted to where town codes were being violated, I would have encouraged neighbors to call the town code enforcer or police (it helps landlords to have a record if it comes down to lease violations of this nature).

Those neighbors mentioned above approached me nicely, one almost sheepishly. It's a nice quiet family-oriented neighborhood where everyone keeps an eye on everyone and lends a hand. The neighbors there treat me as one of them when I stop by to check on things or do a repair. They appreciate that I keep the property up and I appreciate that they are extra eyes and ears for me, but not in an intrusive way, if that makes sense. (One neighbor has kept me abreast of the utility company's tearing up the yard and repairing landscaping damage they did. Helps me out because I can't be there daily.) They are all good people and I truly felt bad (and angry and embarrassed) that my tenants had caused them discomfort and I had no knowledge of it. It won't happen again. On the flip side, I have another house where the neighbor is a whacko. There's no other way to put it. She moved in 7 years ago, started complaining right away. I did my best to make sure my tenants weren't disturbing her, but after keeping a closer eye on the house and lending that lulu neighbor an ear for a bit, it soon became clear it wasn't the tenants who had issues but rather her. Doesn't matter who lives in the house, family of 4 or single adult, this woman is just a chronic complainer with way too much time on her hands. I could fill pages with her antics. So things have flipped around to the point I have to make sure she's not causing my tenants discomfort and I completely tune her out when she approaches me. Giving her a cordial inch causes her to attempt to snatch a self-entitled mile and I simply refuse to waste any time or energy on her.

Noise is a tricky one to deal with, but there are ordinances for that, and most standard leases contain a clause requiring tenants not interfere with quiet enjoyment of neighbors.

I'd encourage you to approach the owner just as you would speak to any neighbor, or how you wish one would approach you. For productivity's sake, calm and civil. An angry or aggressive manner is only going to make the owner defensive . Also wouldn't start the talk with "Your tenants...". LL's are not parents to other adults and it can be bristling when someone approaches as if we were. Much as we wish we did, we don't have magic wands we can wave to make all things perfect (although lots of folks out there seem to think that's the case). Tenants have rights and entitlements and it might be our house but it's their home and we can't mold a tenant's behavior or personality into another's perceived concept of perfection. ;)

So keeping that in mind, I'd suggest something like "Hi, I'm mia and live next door to your property on Maple Street, and there are some activities going on there that are causing some disruption for others on the block that we were wondering if you could help out with..." (Use "we" instead of "I" so you don't sound like the sole complainer.) I would encourage you to word it in a way that conveys you are certainly able to tolerate typical family neighborhood noise and activity, but the situation is going above and beyond that. Hopefully the landlord/owner is a decent person who cares and ask these folks to show some respect for others. I would discourage you from amplifying small typical noises into nuisances as that can readily backfire. Also, do keep in mind that the owner has a costly investment in the property and one of his primary concerns is that it doesn't get damaged. So point out behaviors that might perk his ears up and send a red flag to him. Like "I know it takes time to get settled in, but all that drilling and hammering at 2AM woke me up and it went on for a couple hours I had to be at work early the next day..." (As an owner I'd start to wonder what the heck they were drilling holes in & pounding during the middle of the night??) Or "I do understand kids will be kids but when the children ride their bikes in the street and then race them across the lawns screaming at the top of their lungs it's hard to tell if one of them has gotten injured or something. Another neighbor has already had to request they not ride their bikes on her lawn." (I know kids will be kids, too, but if they're showing zero regard for neighbors' property it tells me as an owner they're probably showing the same regard for mine.) Toss in a "we're very concerned for these children's safety due to the hours they spend riding circles in the street". Again, not much a LL can due about that either, it's a matter of parental supervision, but it shows if they're not being supervised outside they're probably not being supervised inside and that = damage. Or "I know teens like their music but it can be heard on the block during the day while the kids are at school, although it has started as early as 8AM, and I've found it necessary to shut my windows and interior doors to muffle the deep thumps of the rap music..." (That one definitely impacts quiet enjoyment and noise codes.) IOW, any activity you can tie into behaviors that could be a potential liability or potentially causing damage or potentially having a code enforcer or other law enforcement out there are the key ones. Not much a LL can do about where and when a tenant chooses to talk on their cell phone. BUT, to make him aware of what this guy does you could mention as an aside that you've been having issues with some of your fence posts becoming weak and although replacing them is in your future plans, in the meantime you're concerned when the tenant leans over your fence to chat on his phone, but you'll take that up directly with him. (Be ready to take responsibility for actions that a LL can't control but that affect you directly. That way it shows you're not going to him looking for a babysitter, but rather to help deal with the more disrupting, potentially damaging or liability type behaviors. It also shows the owner in an indirect way, so as not to make it his problem, that the knucklehead isn't respecting your space.)

I hope that makes sense. ;) And I hope the owner listens. Already, as a LL I don't like the sound of things. I would bet there's been some neglect of some sort on the inside because they are displaying signs of not being able to respect other's presence or property.

Another option might be to send the landlord a note, again civil, outline the issues and just sign it 'Thanks from the neighbors of 123 Maple Street'.

Anyway, don't overlook your local code enforcer, the ones in local municipalities where our rentals are located take their jobs very seriously and if they find a complaint valid they don't let up, even if it's a couple weeds allowed to grow high. ;) The last thing I want is them bugging me, so I make sure never to let things go that far.

• Mia_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Moonshadow, thank you very much for all the helpful information you provided and for advising me on how to talk to the landlord of the tenants (if it comes to the point that I need to talk to the landlord). It's great for me to have the perspective of a landlord like yourself and to know how you would deal with valid complaints (not petty complaints). I think many times neighbors are afraid to tell a landlord that there's a problem (or wait until the problems get out of hand) because they don't know if talking to a landlord will make things worse or that the landlord will be willing to get involved, so they just try to live with the situation until the tenants move. Again, thank you so much for the advice and for your understanding...you've been a big help.

I'm sorry that some of you don't understand the situation in my neighborhood and are misunderstanding me as well. None of you live where I do, so please don't make assumptions and rude comments against me. I am not the only one annoyed by the noise situation. I came here asking for advice, but some of you were not nice...this is supposed to be a helpful web site.

There are plenty of kids in my neighborhood and they make kid noises and do kid things (nothing nobody would ever complain about), yet they don't scream up and down the street for 4 to 5 hours straight and ride bikes on other neighbors' properties like the kids next door. None of you here can make a determination as to how bad the noise is unless you witness it.

Lucy, I wrote the words "Rap music"...so what? If the tenants were playing rock music, I would have written "Rock music." I appologize for stating the specific type of music that is being blasted from next door. It really doesn't matter what type of music is being blasted, because music is music. I never said the tenants next door look different from the old neighbor who moved out - that is your assumption. Yeah, I would feel the same if the music being blasted was Frank Sinatra or my favorite music. Who the heck wants music being blasted into their home for hours?

I mentioned the other things like hammering at 2 AM and talking outside late at night to show that perhaps the parents are not considerate enough to think about the neighbors. And if that's the case, they may not care that their kids are being a nuisance, so it might be difficult to talk with them about the constant screaming. Therefore, I had a concern about how to approach the situation.

• fandlil
    15 years ago

Do these people ever sleep? Find out when they sleep, and give them a taste of their own medicine. And make sure the noise you make is real loud, loud enough to wake them from their stupor. And do it often, not just once or twice. They'll get the message.

• fandlil
    15 years ago

I'm afraid the suggestion I made earlier today is not very constructive, and reflects my own frustration with similar experiences. Some years ago, when we lived in an ethnically diverse neighborhood in Manhattan, we came to the realization that persons of different backgrounds do not share the same noise level and cleanliness standards, nor do they all share the same attitudes about boundaries. It was one of the considerations that led to our moving out of the city.

Perhaps the most outrageous example of lack of consideration of one's neighbors was of a fellow who wanted to hear his favorite music while washing his car, so he propped his radio on a window sill (the window was open) and played it at full volume.

Of course, these problems are not confined to urban settings. I think there's probably some truth to the view that 90% of these kinds of problems are caused by fewer than 10% of the population.

I feel for you. I think the only way to affect their behavior is if you AND OTHER NEIGHBORS AS A GROUP put together a statement citing their offenses and, if possible, document this by recordings on a camcorder or whatever, and go to the local police with the evidence. Another way of proceeding is to hire a lawyer if he can press the landlord to pressure the tenants to behave themselves, possibly under threat of eviction.

All of this assumes that there are laws or local codes on the books that these people are breaking. Local authorities usually don't like to get involved in these disputes. But if you can show a repeated pattern of violations of local codes, you can force them to act. You are entitled to enjoy a reasonable level of quiet and tranquility in your home. It will take a bit of doing and some legal expense, and it won't be pleasant, but you can make the local authorities act.

Another approach: These days on the Internet it's possible for nominal cost to do a background check on people. I would bet my eye teeth that these people have a history, probably a long paper trail. If you can establish that, you can go to the landlord and say to him, "Look what you've done to us. When their lease comes up for renewal, triple their rent and get rid of them."

• bananafana
    15 years ago

Mia, I totally sympathize. I've had many renters next door and none of them were a problem except one. It was horrible, and unless you've experienced day in and day out noise and crazy behavior, you can't imagine how very insane it can get.

I like haus-proud's idea of giving them a taste of their own medicine. Maybe blast a tv out the window too. I'm not suggesting a feud, because that would make things worse. But some people just don't get it unless the shoe is on the other foot.

What I finally did was call the landlord and unload on him after about a year of craziness. He only got interested when I mentioned the dog that jumps in my car when I open my door. (Poor thing probably wanted to get away from there too.) I guess they had a no dog rule. Anyhow, when he went over and talked with them, he found they had trashed the house too, so he got rid of them. My guess is that people who don't respect the neighbors also don't respect the rental property.

• susancnw
    15 years ago

Try this website for some help

http://www.borzotta.com/nfh/

• carolssis
    15 years ago

I would try writing them an anonymous letter. State what your concerns are, loud music, children running wild, of course, you're concerned for their safety. But word it in such a way that it could have been written by either next door neighor, or back yard, or across the street neighbors. Basically, you want to make them aware there is a problem to start with, but not reveal who is writing. Then go out and get some fairing strips and put nails in them and line the edges of your lawn, bikes with flat tires are hard to ride. Get an air horn, and use it when the kids start their screaming, it should get their attention. Then you can ask them to keep the noise level down.
    You also may want to check into your state laws concerning renting. Our state has laws that prevent this kind of behavior. If the renter is guilty of breaking the law, it makes it easier for the landlord to remove them. Do let the landlord know, too. Valid point that they may be trashing the property since they are so inconsiderate of everyone around them. Good luck. Get video and audio, too.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

Then go out and get some fairing strips and put nails in them and line the edges of your lawn

NOT a good idea. someone steps on one and you will be responsible for hospital bills and a big lawsuit. you can use soemthign like that buried under ground for car tires, cause the ruts they cause would allow tire to nail contact. but to be effective against bikes it must be above ground and then someone else gets hurt.

as far a writing a letter, that does no good. usually it makes things worse. the mentality is that if they don't like it now, let me show them how i CAN do what i want.

• Mia_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the new advice and for being understanding. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the situation, so I'll think carefully about the advice given here. I'm not going to put any spikes in the grass or anything on my property where someone might get hurt. It's a great idea to get other neighbors involved in complaining.

I'm unsure if they'll get the hint if I play my music really loud, however, then they may end up blasting their music more often and louder than before. Does fighting fire with fire work most of the time? I've never been the type to retaliate. At least they don't blast music every single day, though the last time was 2 days ago, and I could hear their music above the noise of my window air conditioner.

About a month ago, someone from that house vandalized my two year old fence that separates our yards. One of the wooden slats was forced forward towards my yard as if someone was trying to break it...there are marks in the wood where someone banged on the slat (the damage is too high up for a little kid to have done it). So a member of my family went to their house and spoke to the husband about the vandalism, that this time we will repair the damage but next time we will call the police. The man didn't have anything to say. We took pictures of the damage. Well, I don't understand why they did this to my fence since I don't even know them and have never spoken to them before the fence was vandalized. I think it's nasty what they did.

It wasn't until after the fence was damaged that we politely told the little girls on two occasions to not ride bikes on our lawn or walk/run on our lawn, but they still do it at times. When they were screaming their heads off for a while right by my house, we asked them nicely to please tone down the constant screaming/hollering, but they ignored us and continued screaming. They ride their bikes across an elderly neighbor's lawn and up and down people's driveways as if it's their own home. I understand why the girls act the way they do. I mean, if their parents accept their behavior and never supervise them or get involved with them outdoors, the girls are just going to keep on behaving the way they do because they don't know any better.

Thanks again!

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

don't for a second think the damage to the fence could not be caused by kids. they could have been playing with a hammer or anything and just hit it until they broke it. a couple weeks back one of our tower sites went offline. turns out some hoodlum kids saw the electrical disconnect and turn it OFF jsut because. no reason, just because it was there. the disconnect is now locked in violation of local fire codes, but at least we won't have millions of dollars of communications equipment go offline due to some hyperactive kids with no impulse control.

• gardenspice
    15 years ago

Wow Mia - these are new neighbors?
    I know you complained about a noisy neighbor with a single child in 2003, 2004, & again in 2006. And another neighbor with a pool in 2006.
    You sure have had your share of bad luck with neighbors.
    I sure hope it improves!

• lucy
    15 years ago

Is it way over the top to suggest getting some kind of injunction to keep them off your property and also telling them to just tone down the volume? I wouldn't try the fire-with-fire thing in this case though, it rarely if ever works.

• fandlil
    15 years ago

I would go to a good local lawyer and ask if a hi tech approach might work -- maybe a videorecording of the noisy activity, along with a device that measures the sound level WHERE YOU ARE, so that you can build a case with hard evidence to prove your allegations against these people. I would keep a daily log of the disturbances they create. It's the cumulative effect that is ruining your quality of life. That's the only way you can document it.

If these people are making you miserable, you need to fight back with all the legal means at your disposal, or move out.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

I know you complained about a noisy neighbor with a single child in 2003, 2004, & again in 2006. And another neighbor with a pool in 2006.

well now, that reminds me of a saying my grandmother had " if everyone around you has a problem, maybe you are the problem."

it is either that or just extremely bad luck with neighbors.

• Mia_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

davidandkasiewrote: well now, that reminds me of a saying my grandmother had " if everyone around you has a problem, maybe you are the problem."

it is either that or just extremely bad luck with neighbors.
    -------------------

Because of the above comments, I feel the need to mention that I came to this forum in the past seeking advice about my next door neighbor because of her screaming and neglecting her child on a daily basis for the whole time she lived there. Her boyfriend was arrested and the police were at her house for a warrant, so there was a lot of trouble at that house. She moved out and then this new family of 6 moved in, and they are the ones that I am asking advice about now. Other neighbors have talked to me about the problems with these 2 sets of neighbors, so it's not just me noticing the noise and blatant inconsiderateness. And my friends have made comments to me. Unfortunately, it's this one house next to me where the problems have been happening, and other neighbors have made remarks about it.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

then it is definitely the 2nd part, bad luck!

sorry you have to go thru this.

maybe it is time to look for a new area to live. my grandmother's neighborhood was always nice and quiet, no probles for 30 years. now you cannot even leave your car unlocked while taking in the groceries!

my parent's neighborhood was one of the more upscale when we moved in during the late 80's, but now it is going downhill as well. the HOA pretty much dissolved and folks do what they want, rules prohibit renting any portion of any house, yet many are rented all teh time. gangs of kids roam and destroy things, i figure at the rate it is going it will be truly run down in 5-6 years.

• marys1000
    15 years ago

Better they're renters than buyers though, maybe the 3rd sent of renters will be quieter. You'd really be sc***** if someone loud bought the place and stayed for years. Bad neighbors also own houses ya know.
    You might ask the landlord to try to find a better quality of renter although he is restricted somewhat by law about questions he can ask.

• Mia_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

davidandkasie, I'm so sorry about what has been happening with your grandmother's and parents' neighborhoods. It's sad to see a good neighborhood go downhill. As for the gangs of kids vandalizing things, why aren't the police putting a stop to this kind of thing?

marys1000, I'm glad that the people next door are renters, but they seem like they're here to stay for a while...they're settled in, they love the neighborhood. Of course, I can't see into the future.

The noise has become so bad lately that I can actually record it inside my home, and people who I'm talking with on my phone can hear the screaming. I've had to keep my windows closed, but the noise still enters my home. Since last week, the noise has been concentrated in one area from their back yard where they hang out every day now. The screaming, squealing, shreaking, yelling is CONSTANT and has been lasting from a few hours to eight hours straight almost every day that it doesn't rain. Last Friday, the noise was constant from 11:30 AM to 7:30 PM. And it happened again for about four hours straight on Saturday and Sunday. They are the only family in the whole neighborhood that is making noise like this. My other neighbor is glad they don't live right next door to them.

So I read the noise ordinances, and they specifically state that it is unlawful for a person to emit noise that goes beyond his or her property boundary that exceeds 55 decibels from 7 AM to 10 PM. By the way, 60 dB is normal speaking voice. So if the screaming or loud music reaches the dwelling of another person, then the noise ordinance has been broken. It states that there is a fine for each violation. I phoned the police department asking for advice on handling the situation, and the officer said I can have an officer come over to listen to the noise and possibly talk to the noisy neighbors. I'm not sure about involving the police yet, but I can't live like this. Unfortunately, the town noise ordinances are not well-enforced, and other people I know have had to deal with ongoing situations that were not helped by the cops.

• fandlil
    15 years ago

Since your neighbors are making you so miserable, it's time for you to think about spending some money to resolve the situation. Find a lawyer who can help you figure out a way of forcing the TOWN to enforce the noise code. Another thing is that this kind of HIGHLY UNUSUAL noise-making that is as CONSTANT as you say it is seems to me is probably just the tip of an iceberg. Either a lawyer or a private investigator can do a search of computer records in the public domain and find out about these people. They probably have a paper trail that can fill several thick volumes. If you're computer savvy, you can probably do the search yourself. You can probably bet that the landlord did not bother to investigate these people -- not because he doesn't care, but because he just doesn't know how to go about such things. If you found a lot of damaging evidence about the reputation of these people, you can at least bring it to his attention, so that he'll be motivated to get them out when their lease runs out.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

the cops do when they can catch them. problem is most of the time no one knows who it was. i should not have said gans, i should have said groups, cause it really is nto what some would consider a gang. it is jsut groups of kids roaming around and doing what they want. most of the kids who live inteh neighborhood are not the problem, it is usually visitors who cause issues.

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

Life is too short for this aggrevation. Can you move??

• bus_driver
    15 years ago

When I was younger, it was a certainty that any problems from the neighbors would be met with greater problems for them. I didn't get headaches, I gave them.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    15 years ago

Find a lawyer who can help you figure out a way of forcing the TOWN to enforce the noise code.

The unfortunate reality is that most (all) police department have limited resources and noise complaints tend to be low on the list of priorities. Most of us would agree that a burglary has a higher priority than noise (unless it's noisy burglar :-) ) The police have to be present when the offense happens too. Call, they come by 30 minutes later, no noise, no ticket.

Mia's best course of action, as you suggested, is to work with the landlord to either have the lease terminated or not renewed when it expires.

• miles661
    15 years ago

I echo an amalgamation of the responses I've read above:
    You're correct in that it is frustrating sharing relative close proximity to people who don't share your same values of consideration and respect.
    However, that is the risk one runs when living in a free nation- a "melting pot" of cultures. Anyone is allowed to live anywhere so long as they can afford to do so.
    I certainly agree that you are obligated to at least try and speak to the tennants.
    I caution going straight to the LL as it could have the very opposite effect you desire: You wind up with neighbors who see you as "that b tch next door" and/or a LL who sees you as someone cutting into his/her income by making it impossible to keep people in his/her house.
    Calling the police probably won't do much more than annoy everyone- the police most of all. As mentioned, they have to "catch them in the act" which is unlikely unless you're willing to live by the phone and window like Mrs Kravitz from Bewitched, "AAABNER! AAAABNER!" Am I dating myself now?

Most of us have "that neighbor" that drives us crazy. My way of dealing with it is becoming their friend:

"Hey, I noticed you guys were up sooo late working on the house I was wondering if you needed any help? I know how frustrating and stressful it is when you lose sleep over those long nights of unpacking and putting stuff away..."

• bloodychaos17
    8 years ago

I need to get this out of my system.

I've endured music from restaurants, bar and even noise from workers constructing a building. It wasn't nice to hear it but it didn't driven me crazy like my neighboors kids are driving crazy.

Like other people who had a family moving above them in appartement, simply the kids being running, jumping and droping things on wodden floor is just awfull to hear. I've no problem with the parents when they walk but the kids, I just can't! Even if it's during the day, that's not right to not control the kids!!!

I already talked twice to my neighboors but the parents were dismissal... though, they gave me hope, they might move out but it isn't 100% sure.

I'm falling little by little into depression, heck evn becoming scarred of noise that the kids make little by little. So now, I'm considering to visit soon a doctor and if it's not getting better... I might consider something more darker because I can't move out (no job).

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

"I might consider something more darker ...". What do you mean? Are you considering what it sounds like? If so, don't "consider" a visit to a doctor - - - get to one NOW.

• Tatyana Kozikova
    7 years ago

We just moved to a new townhouse... expensive as hell for us...

Neighbors do bass, loud talking on a deck at 2-3:00a.m....

Why did we buy this house???????

• carolssis
    7 years ago

You must have really liked it or you wouldn't have signed a mortgage. Find out as much as you can about your noise makers. Little innocent comments to neighbors, local stores? Try to find out if they rent, there may be help there. Where I live, there are noise laws, 10pm to 8 am and renters are liable for their guests noise and actions. Calling police isn't always the only solution. Find out what you can, see where you can find help. The state is usually the agency that regulates renting home, condos, apt. Good luck.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    7 years ago

When you are gone, at work, get a really bass-heavy stereo that you can loop a bunch of classical and country/western music on it. Run it when they sleep. May not help, but it will give you a good & fuzzy feeling. Otherwise, just get out of there.....

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I did what avanti said, and they kicked in my door to turn it off. But I knew I got to them. They were rotten! I did all that was suggested here, and ended up moving in the end. I wish we hadn't because they moved right after us! Ugh.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

Ah, why didn't anyone suggest politely asking the neighbors to hold it down at 2 am? Did anyone think that might be an appropriate human approach before notifying the authorities? Sheesh. You HAVE to at least TRY that before resorting to other measures. Otherwise civility goes out the window.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Tried that too. Didn't work. Know why? Because they're inconsiderate; that's the type of person who is noisy at 2AM.

• Kenneth Vouvounas
    7 years ago

I share your frustrations on the matter. I have a next door neighbor who tends to blast his music loud almost every day. I wake up every morning to follow my daily routines, leaving me with very little or no time for myself. Whenever I try to relax in my living room by either watching a movie or playing my video games (I don't blast my TV set at all due to my learning from experience), my next door neighbor tends to blast his music loud at inconvenient hours--treating me like I don't exist and expecting me to be tolerant of background noises, knowing they interfere with my time for myself. It's been an ongoing problem for 30 years for me. I have been living in my apartment for almost seven months, and before I spent my first night there, that same neighbor was blasting his music very loudly as a way to force me out for no reason. I have tried everything. I wrote a polite request note to him to turn down the music since it is very loud and I can easily hear it through my living room walls and whenever I try to get in my apartment, I still hear it quite easily through his own closed door. I tried knocking on his door to ask him nicely to tone down the volume. I even tried to report the said incidents to my property manager (landlord) whether it's me leaving a message on her office voicemail or discussing it with her in person. But none of it ever seemed to work. My neighbor admits his stereo is loud but often makes excuses that his stereo is of 100% CD quality. My neighbor also claimed that he tends to blast his music very loudly (and unreasonably and unacceptably loud) so he can drain the echoes out of his head--only for him to dump it into mine. When I asked him nicely, he aggressively opened the door in response to my knocking and intimidated me by getting in my face and giving me attitude. It's not fair. I don't need this. He even did this to ruin my holiday plans and gatherings that I have scheduled. He even labeled me as an F-ing Chicken-Liver which offended me. He even screamed very constantly as if there was a domestic dispute. I cannot and will not take this anymore. If the matter is not settled and the neighbor keeps up his offense against me (constantly continuing to play his music very loudly after I specifically asked him nicely to reduce his stereo volume), either he goes or I go. I could take this matter into court if neither my property manager or caseworker would do anything about it. I could take this to small claims court if I have to. He drives me insane for months and I can't live with it and can't take it anymore.

• annamgates
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I've lived here since May of last year at least, in Ohio; way too loud let alone how little body fat I have; I more than fall easily and they call the manager; all I do is garden, fall, listen, fall again, come back in for hours and see the weather get hot; more than upsetting; my jaw starts to hurt too. Yeah, it's not going on right now real bad just after 1:10 here but it's not good at times our blood pressure is low and trying to wake up i.e/or go to bed - it's not

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    6 years ago

Holy...some of these posts are very concerning.....seems there may be a slew of folks with mental illness on this thread. These posts are cryptic at best and impossible to understand, you need to seek help, please...

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

lisaw, your comment is highly curious to me. You've never been in a situation where others were rude and ignoring your kind requests to be kind? Why are reasonable, frustrated individuals the ones who need to seek help and have mental illness?

• Michael devries
    3 years ago

I feel you have almost exactly the same problem it is not fair people can intrude on your happiness almost with pleasure my self I am putting the most stinky composting bin as close as I can get it to there space then every one is miserable

• GN Builders
    3 years ago

Do the same when they have a party or gathering or trying to relax

It usually works when you give someone some of their own medicine :-)

• HU-726380791
    3 years ago

document every time take pictures video audio andTake them to small claims court and sue them it won't cost you anything but it will cost them you won't get much but they will get the message .

• toxcrusadr
    3 years ago

Small Claims Court is for recovering monetary damages. It would be hard to show that you were financially hurt by a neighbor's loud music.

If you live in an apartment, it is probably up to your landlord to regulate this. There may be something in the lease that obligates them to provide a reasonably peaceful atmosphere. But apartments are tough. If you can't get the landlord to act, you pretty much have no choice but to move. The best thing is to find a way to move, maybe to a duplex if you can't afford a house of your own. That's like an apartment but with only one neighbor. :-]

If you were in a single family home, it's different, because the next house over is a different property, and then they're causing a nuisance to your property, something that's more easily enforced (not easy, but easier).

• HU-674165869
    3 years ago

I'm not sure if you have an HOA that could help mediate the matter by sending the new neighbors an informal warning of sorts by informing them of the noise ordinance in your county.

Otherwise, you can call the police anonymously and have them go over and deal with it. I've seen so much ID Channel of feuds that escalate between neighbors, so if you have any bit of uncertainty about talking to them, then go with either the HOA or the police.

• HU-737209011
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sounds like you live next to a low income family. Sadly, those kinds if people work blue collar jobs, smoke marijuana, and are the epitome of trailer trash. Every now and then those people somehow get lucky and move into a home instead of living in apartments or trailer parks. Advice: Those kinds of people never change and kharma usually punishes those kinds of people.

• Alice Carey
    2 years ago

You shouldn't worry about anything except the loud music, the screaming little crotch goblins and the people talking really loud on their cellphones in the middle of the night just outside of your bedroom window. Barking dogs you don't have to put up with either. No one should have to put up with that so you can call the police and have something done about it since screaming is above the legal noise level. But I can handle just about anything except trespassing, screaming at the top of their lungs, blowing horns, basketball bouncing crotch goblins. Then I will call the police.

Otherwise as long as they are reasonably quiet, I don't care where they ride their bikes as long as they don't ride them on my property.

In the end, you need to get things into perspective and don't complain about everything your obnoxiously loud neighbors do. Crotch Goblin with basketball

• Salena Le
    2 years ago

It's nothing you can do about kids playing outside in daytime hours. It's legal so let that go.

The one foot of your property on the other side of the fence? If you are that worried about damage to that strip then move your fence. You can't expect kids to stop playing one foot from their side of the fence. It's unreasonable. You can make it a taller fence so you're neighbor can't lean on it.

Now the noise at night? That you can do something about. There are phone apps that show noise decibles. Record it with a video of the decible reading. First, be a decent person and go to the neighbor and say, hey, your music, banging, etc is easily audible at midnight and i need to wake up in the morning. Can you please lower it at night?

If they don't, keep recording and notify the landlord. A landlord won't want a neighbor that causes noise complaints especially if you notify said landlord that the next step is small claims against *him* about his tenants behavior. They won't renew the lease.

Now, i am not going to automatically assume they are low income weed smokers as someone else did here. That's jerk assumptions. Some people just grow up in louder cultures than others. However, renters tend to move on and worst come to worst you only have a year or two of it.

• HU-256926313
    2 years ago

I'm sorry that you're having to go through that. I too am going through similar situation except I'm having to listen to foul mouth unruly sneaky lying teenagers that don't even live at the apartment complex where I live. Don't know what to do about it because management will not do anything they don't want retaliation they say if I don't like it here move they say all I want is to live a peaceful existence. If you find out something let me know thank you