Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mia__gw

Problem with next door neighbor: The Bully & the Fence

Mia_
16 years ago

I need advice regarding how my friend should deal with his hostile next door neighbor. This was always a nice street to live on with no problems.

My friend has lived in his house for over 40 years, and many of the original homeowners still live on that street. About two years ago, a couple bought the house next door to my friend. At first, everyone was friendly and helpful with each other. But then the new neighbors cut down all the nice trees on their property in their front yard that provided privacy between the two properties. That's fine, they can cut down the trees on their property. However, since they were having so much company walking through their yard right near my friend's property line (no privacy), my friend decided to install a very high-quality wooden fence in the front yard. My friend told the new neighbors that he was planning to put up a fence. The fence is located on my friend's property and he paid for the fence, however, when my friend's neighbor saw the fence, he got raving mad because the "bad" side of the fence was facing his yard. Yet he didn't realize that coming down the busier street, his house looks so much better with the way the fence was placed because what you see is the "good" side of the fence...you see the "good" fence side and the neighbor's house. But I guess the neighbor doesn't want to look at the so-called "bad" side when he is in his yard. The "bad" side isn't actually bad-looking. Anyway, this neighbor voiced his STRONG opinion to my friend that good neighbors place the "good" side of the fence toward a neighbor's house. By the way, the town has no ordinace regarding this. My friend could not even reason with this man.

So the neighbor proceeded to voice his disgust to another neighbor on the street who my friend has known and been friendly with for over 30 years. He even voiced his negative opinion to a relatively new neighbor. Let's just say that he has held a terrible grudge because of the "bad" side of the fence facing his house, and he gives my friend the silent treatment...no more friendly waves and hellos.

So a year later now, this neighbor has been placing his water sprinkler right up next to my friend's new fence so that the fence gets soaked. He waters the fence every day, and it seems intentional. Therefore, my friend put a note on his fence asking to please not water the fence. I think the note was a big mistake. The neighbor saw the note and took it off my friend's fence and threw it onto my friend's yard. Then the neighbor got into his car and drove it in front of my friend's house by the curb and sat there and watched my friend who was outside. Then the neighbor slowly drove away and again drove by slowly in front of my friend's house. Oh that is sooo creepy! That creeps me out but good.

Well, the next day, the neighbor proceeded to soak my friend's fence with the water sprinkler again. So my friend walked over to the man's yard to try to talk nicely with him about please not soaking the fence, but instead of listening to reason or talking things out, he brought up the old issue with the "bad" side of the fence facing his house...he's still holding a grudge for a fence that my friend had every right to position that way on his very own property, and it's not an ugly fence or anything...that fence was very expensive. So the neighbor started talking real angrily and told my friend to never step foot on his property ever again.

Then a little later that same day, one my friend's neighbors was driving by and stopped to say hello to the angry neighbor. As angry neighbor spoke, he was waving his hands in the air and pointing towards my friend's house and talking all bad stuff about my friend that my friend could hear from inside his house. So it's like he's trying to turn some of my friend's neighbors that he's known for over 30 years against him. After angry neighbor spoke with the neighbor in the car, he walked over to another neighbor and started talking trash about my friend.

Well, besides watering the fence, angry neighbor has taken out his hostility by putting up a bird feeder right next to the fence (when he has a huge yard to put up the feeder somewhere else) so that the birds crap on the fence.

This angry neighbor seems like an immature, unreasonable, intimidating, controlling bully. Oh, and he's a huge loudmouth. His wife is the opposite in personality (I don't know how she deals with him...I would be embarrassed of him), and she's not allowed to speak to my friend anymore.

Ever since he moved in, it's like he's trying to take over the neighborhood. He has even gone so far as to dictate to the neighbor on the other side of him how their yard should look, and what trees they need to cut down (he's really into cutting down trees) and got angry that they happened to mow on a tiny part of his yard. You could see him outside with steam coming out of his ears that a small part of his yard was mowed on! Now he is putting up his own fence in his front yard to separate his yard from that other neighbor's yard, since he hates the way they take care of their lawn.

I find it very creepy and scary that the neighbor was sitting in his car in front of my friend's house watching my friend and that he drove by my friend's house slowly. In this day and age, you just don't know about some people and whether they will snap. He expects everything to be done his way, he wants everything under his control, and when he doesn't have things go his way, he retaliates, like by soaking the fence every day. This neighborhood was peaceful before that neighbor moved in.

What can my friend do about his fence being intentionally soaked by the water sprinkler? Angry neighbor may be getting some sort of sick enjoyment out of doing this.

My friend can't check the other side of the fence for wood rot because angry neighbor will go ballistic if an inch of my friend's foot touches his property. My friend already tried talking nicely to the guy, but the guy only got angry and refused to stop soaking the fence. My friend paid a lot of money for the fence and doesn't want it to rot prematurely. This is rediculous. My friend is elderly and the neighbor is maybe in his 30's.

Do any of you have issues like this with your neighbors?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (176)

• komokasa
    8 years ago

about the lights I wonder how to complaint?If people over here don't have any manners.

• komokasa
    8 years ago

Is about 12 years since the new neighbor was in that house.i do not have idea who starts first the bullying.but still going every day.I have complaint to the council and the guy never done nothing.Is any law in this country is not works.Them is not friendly,still bully me over and over ,every day.I do not want any thing with them.Them not know to have an conversation ,only to do bully.The dog still barking could be any time at night.and anyone do nothing?

• komokasa
    8 years ago

about the lights doesn't make any difference because already has some curtains.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

Where are you located? Laws are different depending on where you live.

Regardless of that, you should think about moving, just to get away from these people. They sound like bad neighbors. Sometimes they are not violating any laws, they are just jerks, and the only solution is to wait until they move, or move yourself.

• komokasa
    8 years ago

but in the same time i have to listen the dog barks in the morning,bang bang doors,funny noises to pay attention,the time we will be home.

• Chloe
    8 years ago

My problem continues with the neighbor. Today I found out the three dog poop into my garden. I have no proof, but I'm sure it's them since it is thrown from their side and they have 2 dogs. What can I do?! I'm so frustrated. I literally want to burn down their house. This lady does not know how to let go. I think she just want to continue because she have nothing better to do and she's bored. Any advice? How can someone holds a grudge over something so little for so long and start something new.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

Get a surveillance camera system, catch them throwing dog poop over the fence, get a lawyer, and get a cease and desist order from the court. That's about all you can do.

• komokasa
    8 years ago

Is something wells now,the next door to the left still doing the same thing again,over and over.Is once the dog barks,another time is bang bang doors,from the cars,gates.and now I don't know if I complaint or not to the council. Because is every day them patrol us at home,the time we coming out,another time is how I sneezing,or washing the clothes,then the dog from them starts to bark.Even the time I put the air conditioner?You're not believed that?If I say something to the council them already said to me someone complaint to the court?But them continuing to do all those noise?And the another noise is inside the house like a demolition.Is not horrible?What we can do about it?

• nanettehazelton6715
    8 years ago

I'm asking for any advice on my neighbor from hell. I have owned my house since 1990. Well there is an apartment building directly behind us. About 2-3 years ago a new owner bought the property. We had a fence that had been there since 1958. Well this vile apt manager tore down my fence and STOLE 2 feet of my property. He put up a new fence. Then he planted 2 dangerous individuals in the 2 apts right behind my house. Well these scum scream and yell if my dogs bark ONE time. They threaten to kill me, my husband and my dogs. One day I was standing on a chair in my own yard looking for a possum cause my doberman Caden likes to catch them. Well this vile neighbor happened to be on the other side of the fence. He shook a stick at me 6-8 times barely missing my face and eye. HE looked like a rabid dog. The next incident was the other vile neighbor punched and pushed my husband to the street so hard he could have killed him. My husband went to the hospital and the Dr said Jack had suffered a head injury. The police have failed to protect us. We have gotten restraining orders, an injunction hearing mid January. The vile neighbor never showed up for court so this as- hol- judge dismissed the case with out prejudice meaning that we could file a restraining again. This judge told my husband he didn't want to see or hear anything about what happened. We even had a nasty phone call that violated the restraining order. Judge Kaplan is a worthless piece of trash. We don't know what to do. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Ty Nanette

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Move?

• komokasa
    8 years ago

Since 12 years we live over here and next door starts the noise,is bang bang doors from them cars,trash can,gates,barking dog.Starts in the morning about 7 o clock and not stopped.I cannot hanging clothes outside.them not like it?them put lights on them house over night and if we have lights is not good.We cannot have lights on our side.

Them changed the time about the time the dog have to appears to barking in the same corner of our window.One day is 10 in the morning,another time is 8 in the morning.But another time is 23:00 pm,and is not stopped.This is going on a long time and every day.

Them patrol the time we going to wash clothes,and the dogs barks,or them make it a noise inside the house,looks like to construct a building the noise.Them patrol the time we going out in the weekend and watch us to go until we 're going inside our cars.Them patrol the time we bought it a new car in 2014.Them standing outside looking what we;re doing,how we drive.

I not believe it those people is like bullies.One of them from the tree house down try once to crash my car.And two weeks after he disappear ,just like that.Because we never talking to them why them make this provocation as well?The thing is before end of the year he changed the car.I do not believe them looks so dirty,you know?The thing is I do not forget the car he has before.

Another thing is to parking outside in front of our house is another problem.The second house this woman starts everything,she not like it us and the time we come home.She is so stupid,she ask so many people to park in the same spot as I said before .That spot my husband park every day to make easy the time he go to work.But she not like it.I not see any problem with that,them created everything!Is so ridiculous.I do not know what to do.If I complaining or not.I mean to the council.Maybe is not good idea.Already wrote to the council about those bullies.Or I forget and then them continuing to do the same thing again and again?

• yborgal
    8 years ago

Nannette, do you have a survey of your property showing the fence is on your property? If not, get one ASAP. It's strange that a fence company would install a fence without a proper survey, but maybe it was a DIY job. if the fence is on your property get the apartment owner to move it back. Film videos of any verbal or physical threats to you or your husband. Get as much evidence as you can. Then maybe consider suing them in civil court instead of the court system. Consider suing the apartment owners rather than just the renters. That might just get those people evicted and you'll have a sense of safety again.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

What does your attorney say about all this? I assume you have one. If not you should get one.

• xfcreature
    8 years ago

They are criminals. THEY WANT YOUR HOUSE FOR FREE!!!

1. stealing 2 feet of land is equal as stealling all. that was a test so they can see how you react. you wasn't tough and that's why they hammer on you. YOU SHOULD HAVE SUED THEM ALL. IT NOT LATE NOW.

2. learn martial arts: upper block, midle block and lower block is the minimum and easy to learn. buy security metal door / s. Buy firearms and ammunition and learn to shoot. Get ready for home invasion. If they invade your house they could make you sign a piece of paper that will destroy your life. BE SAFE!!!

3. moving ain't good - how do you know what's your new neighbour / s gonna be like? And dark secrets of the new neighbourhood?

4. maybe one of those two apes is the owner. they launder crime money through construction and other "legit" bussines

5. write in book dates and times of any bad and strange event and write only truth. Do not tell anyone you are writing!

6. you will confront them again! make sure you watch their hands and feet and not their mouth or eyes.

they will get even more angry and try to make you stop watching hands and feet. you must watch so you can block hits or kicks - they won't bite or hit with eyes.

7. email me at "xfcreature@gmail.com" when i got time and signal i will respond.

Good luck! Fido

• xfcreature
    8 years ago

The text above is for Nanette.

How is she gonna film it on video? You think monkey neighbour will stand still and smile for the camera? Nanette needs android phone and install "call recorder.apk" for threats over phone and "easy voice recorder.apk" which will record hidden in her pocket. The phone should be sony xperia j or m or z.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

lmao, xfcreature. Where and how do you dream this crap up?

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

There are a lot of people walking around with paranoid tendencies, millwork. Perhaps that is what is going on here.

I prefer to remain positive about my fellow human beings as much as possible. When we begin to approach one another with suspicion more often than not, it will lead society down a bad road. IMHO.

• xfcreature
    8 years ago

"lmao, xfcreature. Where and how do you dream this crap up?"

Didn't Nanette write that 2 sick apes of neighbours stole 2 feet of her land, beat her husband, threaten her with death, throw sticks at her... THATS BECAUSE THEY ARE CRIMINALS. Criminals are cowards and that's why they TEST Nanette and her husband. So they know who they deal with and what to expect. Based on things Nanette wrote here which she claims happened, i have wrote an most probable development of situation. That's how criminals steal property in EX YUGOSLAVIA. I'm currently in Serbia and i'm not a Serb, i am German.

• xfcreature
    8 years ago

So like i said they wand Nanette's and Jack's property this is what i believe. Below i shall explain why i believe so: in EX Yugoslavia countries (Herzegovina and Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia, Monte Negro and Kosovo) there is many victims of stolen property (land, house, ranches, farms, shops...) that are now homeless and broke. Mostly this happened from 1989 to 2005. their stories are so simmilar to what Nanette wrote. Senseless violence, theft, threats and then it's time to sign it wheter you like it or not the piece of paper that destroys your life has arrived criminals have invaded your home and torture you and under pressure you sign it. That piece of paper is a contract about sold / bought property and after signing it's brought to lawyer for legalisation so now it is legal. It says there how you sold your house (in reality you didn't) or property and received payment (in reality no payment). Now the real owner's trying to prove this on the court and such cases last for a decade or more. A very small percentage of real owners returned their property after years of fighting on court. My friend returned his after 7,5 years of court. Corruption does wonders!

Nanette wrote:

nanettehazelton6715

January 9, 2016 at 4:45AM

I'm asking for any advice on my neighbor from hell. I have owned my house since 1990. Well there is an apartment building directly behind us. About 2-3 years ago a new owner bought the property. We had a fence that had been there since 1958. Well this vile apt manager tore down my fence and STOLE 2 feet of my property. He put up a new fence. Then he planted 2 dangerous individuals in the 2 apts right behind my house. Well these scum scream and yell if my dogs bark ONE time. They threaten to kill me, my husband and my dogs. One day I was standing on a chair in my own yard looking for a possum cause my doberman Caden likes to catch them. Well this vile neighbor happened to be on the other side of the fence. He shook a stick at me 6-8 times barely missing my face and eye. HE looked like a rabid dog. The next incident was the other vile neighbor punched and pushed my husband to the street so hard he could have killed him. My husband went to the hospital and the Dr said Jack had suffered a head injury. The police have failed to protect us. We have gotten restraining orders, an injunction hearing mid January. The vile neighbor never showed up for court so this as- hol- judge dismissed the case with out prejudice meaning that we could file a restraining again. This judge told my husband he didn't want to see or hear anything about what happened. We even had a nasty phone call that violated the restraining order. Judge Kaplan is a worthless piece of trash. We don't know what to do. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Ty Nanette

When police can't protect her she should protect herself... Martial arts, guns, secure metal doors... That's what she needs.

By the way i dont know how property is stolen in U.S.A.

Fido

• smakcanada
    8 years ago

I don't know what 'good' side 'bad' side means. Can you post a picture. Where i live wooden fences look the same on both sides.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

Some fences have posts and horizontal stringers (i.e. the framing) visible on one side, and only vertical fence boards on the other. The side with the framing is the 'bad' side, less pretty, and the other pretty side is the 'good' side. Some fences look the same from either side.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

We never did hear back from Nanette, it's a shame when people ask for help and we spend time making suggestions that are never read.

• jewelisfabulous
    8 years ago

Based on what she wrote regarding her living conditions, it's possible she's been seriously injured, killed, or is in hiding.

• xfcreature
    8 years ago

jewelisfabulous IS RIGHT. SO, PEOPLE, HOW DO WE KNOW NANETTE AND JACK ARE HEALTHY AND ALIVE? Where do they live? Anyone know one of them in person? If yes, that someone SHOULD check on them and come back here to tell us, so we know. I'd go myself, but i'm in another country.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

really xfcreature? I think she was being sarcastic.........................

• xfcreature
    8 years ago

millworkman, sarcasm or not if i see a fellow human being or animal in danger, i shall at least try to help out. Why? Because being a tough guy means HAVING A BIG HEART. Also no mercy shall i have for any wrong doer. I speak and write truth and only truth so i did what i could assuming truth was writtenn. What goes arround commess around. I don't think nanette's writing is false, nor anybody's, nobody sane or normal writes such things out of sarcasm. By the way, you did'nt write anything to potentialy help out nanette.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What usually happens with forum posts is that the poster just doesn't get around to coming back soon or at all. This is particularly true with 'drive-by' posters who are not regular contributors to the forum but just stop in with a problem. I noticed this is her one and only post at Gardenweb/Houzz. I hope she is OK but there is not a lot we can do.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

"I hope she is OK but there is not a lot we can do."

Exactly...............

• Rose Bayliss
    7 years ago

Hi, I too have an awkwad neibour. she never liked my hedge tho it was here when I moved in. I rent, she owns. I think she drove former tennants to move. We used to be good friends, she even came round to see my dog every day while I at work. When things went missing in house I asked her to not come round any more. Dog died, I have another. I started the annual cut to my hedge, she has a fence. Bin full of cuttings, she complains to my housing Assoc. about hedge. I explain. Next she throws crap over onto my plants/hedge, so I complain. HA can't help. Contact council, they visit her, tell her to tidy garden. They are happy with hedge. She has cut my buddlieas out front and is now spraying my hedge with s/thing. Her fence is falling onto my hedge, needs maintaining. She shouted from her garden at me today wen I was cutting hedge on other side of garden and said that the hedge would have to come down! Seems she wants to intimidate me at every opportunity. Several weeks ago I had a note asking for a dress she gave me as a gift 6 years ago back. I ignored it, then she repeatedly rang my door bell, only to have a rant. I told her I don't have the dress and she said I'd better get it or else! I think she's lost it - she is old, but really, she can't be pleased. When her family do help in garden, she's out as soon as they're gone, throwing and changing things around! I've heard her bad mouthing me to the neibours. When she sees my dog she is nasty about him to others. I am not going to be driven to move because of this bully!

• xfcreature
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If she's asking for that dress to have it back... ...she's probably mentally sick. Explain exactly which things went missing in house. How did she have access to house when you were away from home? Did she have keys? Maybe someone else stole your stuff? Was your dog poisoned? Is there someone unknown lurking in the street?

• Rose Bayliss
    7 years ago

she had my key to see to my dog. I bought a new phone and case but left the case at home. 2 days later I wondered where the case was? I looked Everywhere. the next week, she'd been in to see to dog and left Her mobile behind. there it was in a case Just Like My missing one! when I saw her again I asked her where she got her case - it's nice I said. she claimed her daughter bought it for her! soon after that as I say, I asked for my key back as the dog didn't need disturbing 3 times a DAY! no-one else had access at the time to my house. My dog died of cancer and I did have trouble for a while with an X, but not at that time.

• smakcanada
    7 years ago

Okay, my final comment on fence/bad neighbours.

It seems to me that a lot of these property gripes about fences stem from this 'good side' 'bad side' issue. I live in Ontario Canada & most wooden fences are built with vertical panels that alternate from the horizontal sections overlapping slightly such that they appear exactly the same on both sides. Typically if a homeowner plans to erect a fence they discuss it with their neighbour, the fence is placed ON the property line. YES, always ON the property line, and both parties spilt the cost. Usually fences are installed in new subdivisions when everyone moves in. If I moved into a neighbourhood and wanted a fence because i have dogs and my neighbour said they didn't want to or couldn't pay for half, it would STILL go on the property line and I would pay for it because I'm the one that wants/needs it. The survey that you receive when you buy the house would indicate the property line. If you have a neighbour that throws hissy fits or temper tantrums then all the better that you have a fence. If the neighbour doesn't like your fence but he didn't pay any money towards the installation of the fence then his opinion of the fence: its quality, materials, design etc. is irrelevant. It's none of his business. So long as you build the fence in accordance with the building code and relevant fence by-laws for your municipality you have nothing to fear from your neighbour. If the neighbour drives by slowly and stops and stares I'd wave a cheery hello and go about my business. Remember, a bully is a coward. If the neighbour makes threats, causes DAMAGE to my property or impedes the use of my property I would contact the police and tell them I was afraid that his intimidating behaviour might escalate and indicate that I was worried about the neighbour's mental stability, and I would contact the by-law enforcement office of my municipality to ensure that I have not done something that I shouldn't have done, i. e. I DID get a permit for my fence when I erected it AND I would check (as another poster has suggested) that the irate neighbour hasn't/ isn't doing anything that violates building code or by-laws. If he has then let the BY-LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER deal with him. A good quality pressure-treated wooden fence is meant to withstand many years of rain and snow so it shouldn't matter if the neighbour puts water on it - he's running up his own water/sewer bill. I would ignore him, wave hello, not engage and eventually he'll calm down. Once you've made a complaint to the poloce and have a copy of the police report then if anything escalates you have a record if you need to get lawyers/courts involved. A lack of oxygen will eventually cause a fire to die out. DO NOT add fuel to this neighbour's firey temper by looking for ways to retaliate. Offering to change the fence WILL refuel th e fire. Leave it alone; it will fizzle out.

• Austin Kropp
    7 years ago

I am sorry to hear that your elderly friend id having trouble with this angry neighbor. What I would recommend is that you friend temporarily remove the so called "bad" side of the fence so that he can put a coat of sealer or to put new treated wood on the fence or that he can repair the damages. I have had similar neighbors like your friends angry neighbor. The best thing to do is to not engage with the person and to ignore the rude and resentful remarks. Have your elderly man also talk to the neighbors that the angry neighbor is talking to and see what the angry neighbor has said about him. From my experience, if the neighborhood has ordinances, I would see if there is anything regarding how to take care of an angry neighbor like your friends neighbor. If the angry neighbor continues with his remarks and trash talk to the other neighbors, you could turn him in for harassment and if it seems like he is a very temperamental person, have someone check on his family that is living there. These kind of neighbors are unacceptable and can be aloud into a peaceful community and if this man is in his 30s and your friend is a elderly, then the angry neighbor needs to learn how to respect his pears and elderly. If I was your friend and I have tried everything as well, then I would also plant trees and shrubs along the fence so that the plants can be watered instead of the beautiful fenced area, also it would be a little character to the yard as well. and the trees will also give your elderly friend some privacy and something to do for a little while. It worked with me and I believe it will work for your friend, it also can help the fenced area stay dry and looking good for years to come. We can also only hope that the angry neighbor possibly moves away soon, because people like that don't deserve to live in a peaceful elderly community.

• Rose Bayliss
    7 years ago

My attitude exactly. Aren't they sad small minded twits!

• Kimberly N Ron Knott
    7 years ago

Oh and will say, if that elderly neighbor, if on his property, should not turn the fence if he doesn't want too unless everyone wants to chip in for a grand maybe two. Let the water hit it, won't hurt it if it is treated. Take pictures, then if there are damages, go to court. Same with trees over your property line. Neighbors tree limb falls and smashes your car, house or garage they are responsible. Better have Homeowners insurance.

• lucillle
    7 years ago

Unless the tree limb was diseased otherwise not in good shape, your neighbors are not ordinarily responsible if a tree limb from their tree damages your home.

• Mia
    6 years ago

Hi everyone. I started this thread back in 2007. For those who missed my post from about five years ago (buried within this thread): The "bully" sold his house and moved away, so my friend's neighborhood is back to being peaceful.

I've read all of the comments, and I had passed along the advice to my friend. The people who bought the "bully's" house are nice people. There's none of that childish behavior going on any more.

I'm hoping that this thread has helped some people with their neighbor / fence problems...or at least helped people know that they're not alone with what they're going through. Hopefully, these problems will not go on forever.

• thespindarella
    6 years ago

Hey Mia! This was an awesome thread. It allowed folks to vent, offered options, clarified some of the crazy behaviors etc. This has actually been a "healing post" in many ways. Thank you for allowing me to share my experience. I am so happy for your friend and thank God for their peace of mind and comfortable living environment. As stated, folks like that seldom remain in an area. Their focus does not allow them to be responsible in many cases. This thread was so nice that you may want to consider keeping it open. I believe it has been a blessing for so many. May God continue to bless you!

• toxcrusadr
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for coming back to post how things turned out.

• Mia
    6 years ago

thespindarella and toxcrusadr: Thank you -- and everyone else -- for coming here and for writing such nice comments and for being supportive. I hope all is well in your neighborhoods or at least that things are better than they were yesterday. It's great that we can ask for advice and support here, and that people can help.

• toxcrusadr
    6 years ago

There are lots of good people in the world, despite what the news looks like! Be kind to neighbors and strangers everybody, and we might survive the 21st century. :-D

• Brenda Denis-Monague
    6 years ago

I would put some nice hanging baskets of flowers and vegetables on the fence and enjoy the harvest while Mr. Angry pays the water bill. A bird bath nearby would also be a nice touch and maybe cheer him up!

• orionsk
    6 years ago

Your friend should see if he can some how take a picture of the other side of his fence from the street. The street is public property and he cant do anything about your friend being on the street and taking a picture for his own references. Then find an attorney and sue his neighbor for damaging his fence with continuously watering it. Either that or try to find a mediator and see if you can get that to work. Good Luck !

• toxcrusadr
    6 years ago

I'd wait till he's gone at work on a dry day, reach over with a paint roller and put sealer on his side.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

Adding vandalism likely will not really help.

• toxcrusadr
    6 years ago

What vandalism?

• Marker6
    6 years ago

I don't thinking sealing one's own fence could be considering vandalism.

• Steve J
    6 years ago

orionsk, op posted an update in 2012 that the bad neighbor sold his house and moved. Your points are moot, and luck is no longer needed.

• Cathy Skinner
    3 years ago

Actually these threads do help others going through similar situation .

May things like badmouthing, threatening, watching and recording everything seem to be common behaviors of these bullies. I stood down and let them even change my downspout on my house. Ignoring made them react more and more. I would say I learned deal with first issue first time. Show them you did noticenoticenoticenoticenotinoticenoticenoticenoticenoti

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area