Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proactive treatment of carpenter ants

Posted by jenottawa (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 21:40

Hello,
Two of my neighbours have problems with carpenter ants in their homes. (including my next door neighbour and the house next to hers). Our houses are pretty close together and have not yet seen any evidence. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent them from coming our way? Non-toxic to kids and pets is important for us too.
A neighbour mentioned a silica-based product applied to the foundation? Some neighbours have nests in their 60-year old front lawn sugar maples. Not sure where other nests are.
Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proactive treatment of carpenter ants

Roach Proof (boric acid) mixed with honey will kill carpenter ants.
Ants will take this mixture back to the nest and in time will kill the queen.

Maybe you could figure out a way to put Roach Proof/honey in a small container and fasten to trees out of reach of children to reduce the ant population. Protect from rain.

Since the mixture worked in a weeks time I did not get around to putting the mixture on trees. I did put jar lids of the mixture in the upstairs and downstairs attic.

Ants will enter a home through the weep holes of the brick.
Ants enter the home looking for water.

o

They much prefer wood that is softened by being wet.

o

Honey is expensive...use corn syrup. Or just buy a ready made boric acid and sugar mixture like Terro. It does work wonders on ants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here