Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbb_gw

Ant Invasion

barbb
11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

We have a couple of vacation cottages we rent out on the northern California coast, and recently we have had the "mother" of all ant invasions. I mean they are everywhere in one of the cottages, even in the bathtub and in the closet. Problem is we rent these out to guests and their pets, and now it's so bad we may have to close the one cottage until we can come up with some solution.

We have had professional exterminators come by, but they have said we're doing what we're supposed to be doing as far as ant bait etc. Please if anyone out there has an idea of how we can get rid of these, please let me know.

Thank you so much for your help.

BarbB

Comments (8)

• azzalea
    11 years ago

That happened to me this spring, only DH noticed the the 'invasion' first thing in the morning, and they hadn't gotten too far (just all over the outside bathroom wall and window).

I went in with the vacuum and used the wand to collect all the little soldiers--it was the fastest way to catch them all, before they got too far. Sealed the vacuum bag in a trash bag immediately, and then put the ant baits on the windowsill. That was about a month ago, and I've seen only maybe half a dozen since.

If you can scoop up the ones in the cottage, and find where they're coming in, so you can wash around there, and set out the bait, I think you'll get a handle on it pretty soon. I've also sealed small cracks in my tile sunporch floor (other years when I've seen them crawling through there) with Duco cement--it's clear and seems to do the job.

Good luck, I know what you're going through, and it's no picnic (not for us, maybe for the ants!)

• barbb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Azzalea for your reply. Haven't used the vacuum cleaner, but have had yet another exterminator come in who sprayed all around the exterior and inside the garage where he found 2 nests. That was 3 days ago, and they seem to have gone down a bit, but of course there's no one staying in the cottage right now so no food around. They're still some in the bathtub, so we'll call him back. Unfortunately we can't find exactly where they're coming in. So, onward and upward.

Barbb

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

It is spring.

Ant have to live also.

You can try spraying outside around the perimeter of the house.

IIRC pyrethrum works well for this type of barrier use.

• barbb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Brickeyee for your reply. Yes, as far as their eating, we've made sure they had a good last meal. We just had the cottage sprayed twice, and it seems to have worked. The ants are almost gone, at least for now.

Barbb

• millworkman
    11 years ago

sprinkle boric acid completely around the exterior of the house in addition to the bait traps used in the ineterior

• barbb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks millworkman for your suggestion. That's good to know. The update is we had another professional come by and spray the exterior twice in a week, and that along with the traps have driven them away---or at least for the time being. I'll keep your suggestion in mind just in case in the problem returns.

Barbb

• krissie55
    11 years ago

Roach Proof mixed with honey makes a great bait for ants, if they are sweet eaters. Only trial and error will let you know whether the ants you have eat sweets or not.

I put this mixture in a lid on the floor next to the ant trail. At first the lid was full of ants, next day none in the lid and only a few around on the floor. It has been a few days and there is no sign of ants now.

• barbb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great idea Kissie, thanks. So far so good on my last spraying and no one has complained to seeing any for about 10 days now. I'll certainly try this recipe if or when it happens again.

Barbb