Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

Pest control service said he will treat Termites this way, but...

debo_2006
9 years ago

...I'm not sure if his injection method is correct. Upon remodeling our LR, we found some old subterranean termite damage (nothing alive there). I've been reading a lot to get educated in treatments, questions, etc.

I had my first exterminator arrive to give a treatment quote. He uses Termidor around the perimeter of the house, but, he does not dig a trench the way I've read about. Instead, he uses soil rodding equipment in dirt areas - a pole with 200lbs of pressure which injects the Termidor mixture into the ground and it explodes outward from the pole spray holes, making a barrier). This is done 10-12" apart, close to the house. He also drills into the cemented areas. As it rains and the ground/soil gets wet, the chemical continues to spread underground. He DOES NOT make a trench in soiled areas. Said his soil rodding method lasts 10 years.

I just wonder if this is the most effective way to do it since everything I've read says to dig a 6" deep/6"wide trench around the house perimeter (where dirt is), load up the trench with the chemical, cover it up, and spray the dirt covering. The rodding equipment is obviously less work intensive. Am I missing something here?

He's charging $1,000 to do the job with one yr warranty. Said he has only had one customer ever call back complaining of more termite findings later using his method. I suppose this is the Annual contract is $165/yr, so if there is any evidence of critters, they will come out and treat at no charge, though I need to find out if the $165 includes an inspection (I don't think so). Seems like an insurance policy to me. The contract is transferrable should we move.

So, does his rodding pole method make sense, and it is the new way of injecting the termite chemicals these days? I have another company coming out tomorrow to compare info/$$.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (2)