Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hurricane Screens?

Posted by andrew_2007 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 07 at 14:15

I saw this news clip and was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this? http://metrosecuritygroup.com/newsclipsvideo_hi.htm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hurricane Screens?

Andrew:

I live in Central FL (Lake Co), but I've never heard of this product. I watch the news clips, and the screens seem like a good idea for, as one of the clips says, large openings, like your lanai.

But I don't think these would work for all the windows simply because the hold-down eye hooks need to be in concrete. Also, because there is some "give" to the screens, I doubt you'd want them too close to the window, because debris could still push the screen into the window, which could break.

Around here, Storm Stoppers seem very popular.

Here is a link that might be useful: Storm Stoppers

o
RE: Hurricane Screens?

Someone I work with had the Armor Screen you're talking about installed a few years ago here in South Florida. He's very pleased with it. He said there was a paper cup sitting on his patio table that didn't even move during Hurricane Wilma. You can see through it from the inside. That's about all I know. After Wilma I tried contacting a local company that installs it but I couldn't get a call back, but that was a very busy time here for the hurricane shutter industry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here