Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to deal with smokey aftermath?

Posted by morton5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 08 at 12:30

I left a pot of rice on the stove, got distracted outside, and the rice burned to a crisp and filled the house with smoke. I opened up all the windows to ventilate the house, but it still smells of smoke. Will the smell eventually dissipate? Anything I can do to speed the process?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to deal with smokey aftermath?

I know two people who did this. One was browning a roast and forgot about it. The other was boiling a new package of latex nipples for baby bottles and forgot, the pan boiled dry and they melted.

In both cases, their homeowner's paid for a company to come in and clean the drapes, carpets, and furniture. They replaced the carpet and repainted the house that had the melted latex.

o

boil some vinegar for a little while it will help, but as above you may still have to clean/replace upholstery.

o

Our wood stove malfunctioned once and filled our house with smoke too.
It took a while but it doesn't smell anymore. It was at least two weeks. It happened last year, so I can't remember how long it took exactly.
Although there was alot of smoke, we opened windows quickly and we did not have any smoke stains on any of the fabrics or walls.

o

You can try putting small bowls of vinegar in each room and leaving them out until the smell goes away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here