Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyd1900

Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!

Cyd1900
21 years ago

I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect. It works great! My kitchen countertops stain easily from food spills. I have used this product in the past to remove these stains without any problems. Recently, I used it on some stains around my kitchen sink and let it sit awhile before wiping it up. Now I have these yellow stains on my countertop that won't go away. Since this incident, I have found out that bleach can permanently discolor your countertops if left on too long. I don't know what material my countertop is (maybe Formica). I am desperate to remove this discoloration since I rent this place. Can anyone help me??!!

Comments (70)

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

As a chemist, I'm darn curious about what's in jewelry cleaner that can do this.

Presumably the bleach oxidized something. Maybe jewelry cleaners have reducing agents (to turn tarnish back into silver) that can reverse whatever reaction that was.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

So far, all I've learned is that Connoisseur's has thiourea in it (also an ingredient in TarnX) along with sulfuric acid and detergents (alcohol ethoxylates). Haven't figured out what the function of thiourea is. Probably only interesting to me.

I did learn the Conn's product has a pH of 1.25, though. :-o Don't get any on ya.

• becky_richards08
    8 years ago

OMG!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the Silver Jewelry cleaner suggestion. I use this on all my silver jewelry so I had it in the house. I had tried EVERYTHING to get these yellow bleach stains off my counter. I thought we were going to have to replace the countertops...and then I tried this. Not only did it work on the new stains, but it worked on really old stains. My countertops now look brand new! I think they look better than theyve ever looked. Amazing...

• josephene_gw
    8 years ago

Great

Will be looking for stains to try this on.

Silver polish removes stains

Coca cola removes rust and stains

Spot shot removes carpet stains

• Alison Ashley
    8 years ago

My bleach stain I now believe is really from my silver jewelry cleaner. My counter is a dark color so do NOT use on dark counters. Anyone have any ideas how to get this kind of stain/color removal fixed?

• Jim Lee
    8 years ago

Yes I have a solution. The very same thing happened to me and my countertops and in my bathtub. I stumbled upon this product called Zap! Porcelain fiberglass tile and grout restorer. You'll love it.

• Sandra Andrew
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Omg lmriedel... you are a Godsend! We moved into an apartment a couple weeks ago. Was hoping they'd update the kitchen but it's not that bad. Except for the cream colored countertops. In our last apartment I used clorox bleach clean up and love it! Til tonight. My fiancé made me dinner.. yup left a mess.. We were watching a movie so I sprayed them down and walked away to go watch the movie . I was horrified. I immediately searched for help and found this. Since mine is packed up still I will be running to the store in the AM. I thought I was going to be a goner!! THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!

Now I can get some sleep!!! There is a God..Haha

• jrobb73022
    7 years ago

I have gray speckled corian counter tops. I was cleaning a brass pot with Zap it cleaner. It cleaned the pot beautifully HOWEVER, I sat the bottle of Zap it on my counter and it left what seems to be a permanent white ring out lining the bottle.

Any suggestions. I tried baking soda and peroxide...didn't work.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

Probably bleached out the color in which case you are SOL.

• jrobb73022
    7 years ago

I will NEVER BUY ZAP IT AGAIN!!!! Would not trust it on anything. Thanks for your reply. I thought it was permanent. Oh, well I always hated the Corian counter top that my builder Lennar switched out from Granite that was originally suppose to be installed. They gave a stupid reason that due to Hurricane Katrina prices went up so they down graded many things in my new build. Down the road Granite here I come.

• PRO
    Stuart Glazer Art
    7 years ago

I went on here to see if I could find a solution for my darker formica countertop, damaged by bleach, and since I didn't get any help, I discovered my own solution! I used Old English dark furniture oil, used for scratches, and spread it on the bleached rings caused by my cleaning lady placing the toilet cleaner bottle, Vanish, on the counter, in several places. I rubbed in the Old English oil, and then I polished the countertops with Kitchen Jubilee. I couldn't find Jubilee in the stores so ordered it from Amazon. It helps a little that my counter color is variegated with shades of green and gold, both dark. I had almost decided to replace the countertops, so I'm glad I discovered the solution.

• n1kk
    7 years ago

Cleanning chemicals left on my formica counter top left obvious bottom of container

stains. I am guessing it was bleach so I tried Connoisseurs Revitalizing Silver Jewelry Cleaner. So far no change stain still there. My counter top is a Teal color.

The stain looks lighter in color so I was hoping the Silver Jewlry Cleaner would work.

Maybe in my case the top is damaged. I have heard counter tops could be repainted.

• p1942
    7 years ago

My formica trim around the sink bow(l that is stained by the high acid bowl cleaner ) is not new . It is 45 years old or more. Is there a procedure or products to get rid of the discoloration?

• p1942
    7 years ago

Can formica (old type, 45 years or more) be painted?

• Olychick
    7 years ago

yes, google "painting formica counter" to see what can be done.

• gemmarwood
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for this tip. It worked a treat.

• Nancy S.
    6 years ago

Help! I have a problem similar to jrobb73022:

A rag soaked with diluted bleach sat for a while in my almond colored corian sink. That area is now noticibly lighter. Is there a way to get this out? Can I apply something (tea?) to darken the bleached out area?

• lfeferman
    5 years ago

amazing. the Connoisseur Silver Jewelry cleaner worked in about 30 seconds on my white formica counter. A miracle. thank you, lmriedel and all who verified her recommendation.

• User
    5 years ago

ok, this is a super old thread but I just wanted to put this out there: most metal polishes / tarnish cleaners work like a liquid fine grit sandpaper. so you might be cleaning your formica by sanding the surface off just a tiny bit. I'd be extremely careful if I were you! not only could this eventually wear the surface away over time, but it can also change the surface texture, making it more porous and easy to stain.

• danascove
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks Imriedel (And everyone who verified it worked) ! Connoisseur Silver Jewelry cleaner (still works 2018) worked for me too! I had a HUGE bleach stain on counter where I had poured straight chlorox bleach to get rid of blood stains from a contractor who installed my new sink (yuck), and cut himself. Was determined to kill anything and everything on my stained creamish white counter top (formica I'm guessing). Waited over a day before I went back to wash off bleach and found a 2 ft by 1ft yellow stain that nothing would remove. Just went to BB&B to buy the Connoisseur Silver Jewelry cleaner in silver container (almost bought the wrong jewelry cleaner in the red container before I realized that one was for gold, etc. not silver). Anyway, brought the right one home, Connoisseur Silver Jewelry cleaner, and poured it directly on the counter in the middle of the stain. Within minutes or less the stain started disappearing, so I went back and kept treating more areas of the huge stain. Thanks for saving my countertop !

• Katy Mutterer
    5 years ago

Jewelry Cleaner took the yellow out of the old white formica counter immediately!

• HU-138987930
    4 years ago

is It possible the jewellery cleaner will work on a yellow coloured benchtop also?

• HU-717247063
    3 years ago

Thanks so much for the Solution Imriedel! You're the best.

I have improvised a little on your solution and it definitely works.

I had mistakenly left the lysol toilet bowl cleaner on the countertop, which leaked and left a very big ugly yellowish stain. Nothing was able to remove this stain and it started to look like that it is going to come out of my deposit.

After finding this thread I gave Connoisseurs Silver Jewelry cleaner a shot but wiping with it didn't do the the trick. So, I siphoned some solution in a dropper and released it over the stain, completely covering it with the silver solution (and leaving it overnight.

By morning my the stain had vanished !!

Thanks Imriedel!

• Clare Horner
    3 years ago

I've just used the pink stuff and white spirit to remove a bleach stain off my light grey formica work top. worked great.

• mhc39
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My clorox clean up bottle (wet on the bottom) sat on my greyish/green Formica countertop yesterday for about 20 minutes and I found a huge bleached out area where the bottle sat. Any suggestions?

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Read the above there are some solutions that worked for others.

• Caels Ian Hanker-Newty
    3 years ago

Just tried the silver jewellery cleaner on a bleach stain on my bathroom laminate top. Worked like a charm. Great tip.

• Brianna Yee
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

A big bottle of bleach stained our white silestone quartz countertop - it is not tinted yellow, will the silver jewelry cleaner still work?

• Nick Doran
    3 years ago

Fixed by using a diluted hydrochloric acid on a clean cloth. Just wipe and let dry.

• HU-142204237
    2 years ago

I just used the Silver Jewelry Cleaner suggestion. Works wonders. I was so worried about my bathroom sink and now i feel so much better. This solution was perfect

• HU-267903019
    2 years ago

I have 45 year old white , stone textured laminate counter tops . they look brand new , no stains or discoloration. I use Mop & Glo to give them a low shine ( about every 2 yrs )

Guess the new laminate is not like the quality of 45 yrs ago ! I also use the spray bleach

to clean & santize on occasion .

• HU-267903019
    2 years ago

Donnamahan1428@gmail.com

• Lisa Pereira La Croix
    2 years ago

I can’t remember if it’s perm or neutralizer that remove my bleach stains on my countertop. I am a hairdresser luckily…

• Lisa Pereira La Croix
    2 years ago

Can get in a kit from sallys

• Christina Ruszkowski
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Iron out powder!!!! It comes in a white bottle. Its a powder sold at all hardware stores and walmarts around the world. Lol just sprinkle some powder on the stain and add a little water. Let it sit for 10 minutes on the stain and........it wipes away. Easy peasy!

• HU-2271363
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I read all these comments with the suggestion of silver jewellery cleaner by Connoisseur’s. I had put a White King bathroom bleach product on my white laminate bathroom countertop to remove a couple marks, I’ve used it before and never had any issues, however this time I left it for a while while I showered and noticed the pools of bleach had gone yellow, thinking it had drawn out dirt and stains more than what I thought was actually visible only to wipe the bleach away and see it had stained the laminate a really rusty yellow colour, and with a texture that felt like it had eroded the counter. I tried Domestos to try remove the staining as I have used in the past to clean marks with no issues, this time it created even MORE yellow clouding, not as bad as the bleach did but it was covering even more surface area. I tried acetone, methylated spirits and lots of bi carb soda and vinegar which slightly lifted some of the staining but not much at all. Went and got myself the Connoisseur’s silver jewellery cleaner and dipped a cloth in it and dabbed it on the counter and almost like magic it went from piss yellow to white instantly! My counter is now cleaner than it was when I moved in! HIGHLY recommend. I am located in Australia if anyone is reading and wondering if the product can be found here : )

• Jay Mee Lee
    2 years ago

My cleaning lady says she accidentally used bathroom lysol (has bleach) instead of kitchen lysol on speckled black laminate countertop. It has indeed left a noticeably faded patch.

Ive read the couple of "fixes" mentioned for dark countertops, but I do not recognize the product brands, nor do they seem accessible to me, possibly because I'm in Canada? If anyone has suggestions, Im all ears (so to speak).

• HU-794541600
    last year

Jay Mee Lee, did you ever find a fix? I have the same problem on black speckled laminste.

• Jay Mee Lee
    last year

No bueno:(

I thought I might just try some Murphys cleaning oil (or other oil based product that wont go rancid) buuuut I've chickened out multiple times. So, I still have spots. Boo, me.

• HU-877851018
    last year

This worked! I'm so happy. The yellow/orange stain on the white counters would have cost me so much to replace on my rental home. Thanks for the helpful tip on the jewelry cleaner!!!!!!!

• Erica Wheadon
    last year

I just wanted to add my two cents to this and say that the silver cleaner worked. I'm in Australia, and went to buy the Connoisseurs brand (from Shiels, which is the only retail store that stocks it, I believe), however they no longer stock the Silver cleaner - I accidentally bought the Fine cleaner, which is $25 I will never get back. After a bit more research (and I think this was mentioned above, but I clarified it elsewhere), I confirmed that the magic ingredient is Thiourea. Wallace Bishop's silver jewellery cleaner contains that ingredient so...$30 later (!!), we tried it - and voila! It only shifted it a little at the start, but then we left a bit more on for about 10 minutes and it literally just disappeared before our eyes. Absolute magic.

• HU-793732318
    10 months ago

I literally just signed up so i can comment on this post as i am so grateful as this has worked for me. i accidentally stained my benchtop yellow as i was cleaning for an inspection tomorrow. i cant thank you enough imreidel i put this on and within seconds the yellow stain was gone. i live in australia and they stock this in zamels, most places have stopped stocking it.

• HU-172031258
    9 months ago

am i doing somethng wrong? I placed on my counter. Nothing happened.

thanks.

• HU-894246158
    9 months ago

Thank you for the advice, the silver cleaning solution worked within seconds!

• M.B. Boyce
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Amazing!! If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it. Used the Connoisseur's Silver Cleaner, poured a "puddle" of it directly on the (quite sizeable) bleach stain, placed a couple of Viva paper towels on its, and within a minute or two the yellow-orange stain was gone. I had thought, for sure, that I would have to replace the entire vanity countertop.

Kudos, Imriedel. Take a bow!! ;-)

OOPS! Please be sure to carefully read the label on the silver polish/cleaner. While cleaning the discolored countertop, some of the solution got on the stainless steel trim around the sink, and left a dark gray discoloration on the trim. Not terrible, but be careful not to splash any solution on the stainless steel! Yesterday, I had to touch up a small bleach-stained area on the countertop, near the steel trim, I applied the solution, gently, with an old toothbrush, and that worked perfectly!

• uscpsycho
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

This is some kind of record, a 21 year old thread that keeps getting bumped! Anyway, I just discovered some yellow spots on my white painted kitchen cabinets and found this thread. I have a feeling my cleaning lady used a Clorox wipe. Anyway, I am wondering if the silver cleaner is safe to use on painted surface. I need to make sure it will not affect the finish of the paint in any way. I forget the type of paint job that was used by the cabinet company but it's so impecably smooth you'd think it was some sort of laminate rather than pain. Even small hairline scratches will be very obvious and be worse than the stains.

• HU-309757826
    4 months ago

anyone has tried any of these solutions on PVC white cabinets? bleach was used to wipe everything and now some cabinets are yellowish. help help!!

• HU-778181549
    18 days ago

If you live in Australia, forget the jewellery cleaner. Go to Bunnings and buy a bottle of Tarn-Off. Half the price and works twice as well, you can literally wipe bleach stains off with a single wipe of a sponge soaked in Tarn-Off, you will be amazed!

• HU-395738206
    17 days ago

Yep. Connoisseurs certainly worked. BUT, it lightened the area of the Formica bench top I wiped. I dipped the cloth in the product. I advise using against dipping. Use a dropper to dampen the cloth and wipe. Take your time. It does work. I am too impatient and have a heavy hand - that is why the area is now several shades lighter!

• HU-395738206
    17 days ago

Connoisseurs does work, just use sparingly. It lightened the area considerably.