Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
giant ceiling stain from roof leak.

Posted by jasper_austin (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 02 at 7:31

I asked our project manager how he was going to keep it from raining once they took off the roof. He never has really been able to follow the way I ask questions. He said we would be home and dry once the felt and tar paper were up. And why should I worry while Texas is in some kind of 100 year drought?

So we've got the new decking, the felt and the tar paper up there. Big severe thunder storm last night. Around 3 am I notice the brown stain on the ceiling. At six this morning, I heard it dripping to the floor. We got up and poked a hole through to let the thing start draining. There is a noticable sag of about an inch or so in the middle of the mess.

Now, this ceiling is old and I'm sure full of spores that want to be mold now that they've got the chance. Are we going to have to take that ceiling down and replace, or does this kind of thing dry so you can paint over with the stain blocker primer, paint the ceiling and get on with life?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: giant ceiling stain from roof leak.

If it is sagging then it has detached itself from the ceiling joists. I think it should be replaced at the roofers expense.

o

yeah, I guess I know they're responsible. I just hate the thought of taking down that ceiling-- it's in one of the only two rooms that are not currently under construction. I think it's sagging between nails, not so much detached from joists- It's actually a shiplap ceiling above the drywall, so we're not talking joists. Anyway, big yuck.

o

If you used licensed and insured contractors with liability insurance you will be able to get them to replace the roofing material and replace the interior ceiling. If not, it is doubtful that your homeowner's insurance will cover the problem and the roofing contractor will refuse. Be sure to check with your homeowner's insurance. The interior ceiling and any insulation removed. You will need to check for signs of mold/mildew. Affected areas can be treated with bleach/water solution. Dehumidifiers and fans will expedite drying out of the interior.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here